close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.40 Caliber Hi-Power to .357 Sig?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jeffro, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Have a friend with a .40 caliber Hi-Power who wants to go the .357 Sig conversion. For a while, we saw barrels advertised for the conversion, but later when calling around, the various manufacturers said that while they make conversion barrels from .40 to .357 Sig for many handguns, they no longer sell them for .40 caliber Hi-Powers because of unresolved problems with them.
    Does anyone know what these problems were/are? Does anyone know of company that still makes the .357 Sig barrels for the .40 Hi-Powers? When inquiring further of these companies, they were very elusive and circumspect and wouldn't give specifics.
    Don (Williams), if you see this post, do you know about this issue? Thanks in advance for any insight into the topic from anyone out there.
    Happy Trails and safe shootin',
    Jeffro (Jeff)

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i dont know what kind of problems theyve had, but id check out barsto, maybe they still make them.:target:

3. Jeff, Bar-Sto won't sell these anymore, because they say there are feeding problems, and they don't want the blame for it. I have however, done several of them, one or two with a Bar-Sto, and lately have been using KKM barrels, which I like. The only problems I've had with the conversion, is the occasional need for a bit of magazine tuning, and I'll only use stock Browning mags, as I don't like the Mec-Gars in this caliber. Actually, if I ended up with a BHP 40, I'd switch it over to 357, since I'm not a fan of the 40 myself. Hope this helps,

Last edited: Apr 6, 2002
  4. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Don,
    Thanks for the input. I (like yourself) am not a fan of the .40 calber. My friend traded into the .40 Browning on a whim, and now has an itch for the .357 Sig in the Browning. I don't have a .357 Sig, and the only reason I would ever (foreseably) acquire a .40 would be to convert to a .357 Sig. While my knowledge of the .357 Sig is limited, I do like what I hear about it. My personal experience with the round? ZERO!!! However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to maybe convert something to .357 Sig, if I can get the .40 Caliber platform cheap enough or make a good enough trade into one.
    I figure if I can help my friend get his Hi-Power set up in .357 Sig, I might get to fire it enough to scratch my itch for one or else make me want to acquire or build one of my own. I LOVE the way the 9mm Hi-Powers feel and handle, I am just NOT a fan of a 9mm. If only the "gun fairy" could make the 9mm Hi-Power into a .357 Sig. THAT WOULD BE IDEAL. THE WEIGHT, BALANCE, ETC. of the 9mm Hi-Power, without the added bulk in the .40 Hi-Power, with the .357 Sig "get-op-and-go"............... best of all worlds.
    Guess there would be no hope for that, though? Don, if YOU did the conversion I would absolutely trust it. I wouldn't trust anyone else to try it. Just some food for thought........ maybe get you thinking about it................ H-m-m-m-m-m-m-m!!!!!!
    Best to ya', and will give you a call soon to maybe do some "brainstorming". Jeff

5. Jeff, You might regret trying it. Personally, I think the 357 SIG is a great round, and it, as you say, scratches my itch, because it's a real tackdriver in the accuracy dept. Once you try it, you may not be able to resist. By the way, I've found that the Rem. UMC 125 Gr. ammo, is very accurate in the guns I've shot it through, and reasonably priced.

6. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Don,
    Any way of converting a 9mm Hi-Power to .357 Sig that you know of (without MAJOR surgery); or am I strictly limited to converting the .40 Hi-Power if I want to go with the Hi-Power? If so, is the cost super restrictive vs. the cost of converting the .40 to .357 Sig? Would love to "drag" you into a project like this!!!!
    Jeff

7. Jeff, Not really. The breech face would have to be opened up to accept the 40 size rim. but even if you did that, I just don't think the conversion would live very long. Browning added weight to the slide of the 40, and added a 3 lb. heavier recoil spring, along with a third radial locking lug in the slide and barrel. I think you would just have a problem with the locking lugs and the anular cam in the frame, along with a recoil spring that would seem like it came off a garage door.

8. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Don,
    Thanks for the feedback and info. Guess I will just have to keep my eyes open for a clean used .40 Hi-Power to purchase right or swap into. I will then immediately send it to you for the .357 Sig conversion and some "slickin' up".
    Appreciate your time......... just wish my wife was as great a gunsmith as you are............. we would then have soooooo much more in common!!!!!!!!
    Best to ya', Jeff

9. Maybe, But I bet she's prettier than I am.
    :nod:

10. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Don,
    Probably prettier, but more importantly, anatomically more to my liking!!!!!!!!
    :D ;) :p :nod:

11. Steve E.

Steve E. G&G Newbie

357 Sig Hi Power barrel..........

Got my barrel from Olympic Arms for the 357 Sig conversion, dropped in with only minor fitting. Very good quality barrel and accurate. Love it much more than the .40 S&W. The only draw back I have found is that it is very finicky about over all cartridge length. I also have found that Browning Customer Service is not very customer friendly.

12. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Steve,
    Thanks for the feedback. I really do want to go .357 SIG in a Hi-Power, but have to find a used one that is priced right. Do appreciate the information.
    Happy Trails, Jeffro (Jeff)

13. Steve E.

Steve E. G&G Newbie

.40 S&W to .357 Sig conversion

Hey Jeffro, still looking for a 40 S&W High Power? I have one with a .40 and 357 barrel, night sights,6 mags, factory grips and a set of Exotic wood grips. Let me know if you are interested.