close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

40 round mags?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by winchester, Apr 3, 2002.

1. winchester

winchester G&G Newbie

A few weeks ago, I purchased a few 40-round mags for my M1 at a gunshow. Earlier today, I stumbled onto the regulations below at the NRA website.

Are these 40-rounders illegal? (Refer to last sentence)

Should I keep 'em, sell 'em, or hide 'em in the basement?

Thanks.

NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARMS AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS

In the Ohio code, the term "dangerous ordnance" includes: automatic firearms; short barreled rifles and shotguns; firearms of "crude or extemporized manufacture"; and devices that are not designed as firearms but can be adapted for use as firearms, or are capable of being used as firearms.

"Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "'Automatic firearm' also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges."

2. militarianut

militarianut G&G Newbie

Well

Im no law expert but . . . I would definetly say from those last 3 sentences it appears illegal. I looked into buying a couple of these 40rd mags awhile ago, and no one seemed to think or say it was illegal. Heres something to think about though. . . . I have a friend who has a 75 round drum for his AK and that legal:) :D
    -myers

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Here in PA they don't pile more stupid laws on top of the federal stupid laws. Under federal law, you can't make any mags over 10, but can use, buy, and sell whatever was there before. How much you pay for them? 40 rounds seems a lil excessive for an M1 Carbine. They're aftermarket, right?

4. BattleRifleG3

By the way, from the look of the law, it seems to only be illegal if you stick the mag in the rifle. Keep them far apart, don't brag about them, and you should be fine until you can ship them off somewhere.

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Winchester,
    The best way to find out is to call the Attorney General's Office in Columbus. Ask them about the legality of them. I've never heard that law before, but they change constantly. You don't have to give your name. Just tell them that you have found some for sale, out of state, and was wondering if they are legal or not. You may have to wait a while for an answer, as I have found that they sometimes have to double-check the laws themselves. HTH

6. BattleRifleG3

Depends on the good nature of the AG, I've heard BATF traces phone calls and keeps records for future persecution purposes. I'm planning to call BATF some time, but would not use a private line, most likely one at an educational institution, where it'll be a little more clear that it's an intellectual inquiry.

7. militarianut

militarianut G&G Newbie

Definetly use a payphone and don't handle the quarter you put in! Tell me what you find out cause I was looking around and a guy I know has 40 rounders for his mini-14:D. and I was planning on buying a 40 rounder for the carbine myself. Thanks. - myers

8. militarianut

militarianut G&G Newbie

And furthermore

Anyone ever heard of a drum for the carbine? :D :D That would be interesting. Just want some discussion. thanks -myers

9. BattleRifleG3

Never heard of a drum, ever. They exist for the 1911, though, funny looking things.