Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just found this forum and hope some one can help me. I just inherited a 1910 Winchester .401 self loading rifle and i am looking for some where to buy ammo. Thanks, Don

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'm not familiar with ammo sources for that round, but would love to learn more about the rifle. Pics would be wonderful!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Photobucket Login

Hope this works as i am new to this. My mom shot her first moose with this gun in 1960 here in British Columbia, Canada. She passed away in 2002 and my real father in 1970. Ive had a step dad for the last 30 years and he passed away in May. He told me i can have these guns when he was gone so i picked them up a few days ago. One is a Mauser .22 long rifle(1936), the next is a .303 British, not sure of the year, and the last is the .401 Winchester self loader (1910). I only have 4 bullets in the box and was trying to find some more. Hope you enjoy the pics as much as im going to cherish the guns.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
401-winchester package

I inherited a 401 winchester from my dad's estate and although there are cracks in the forestock and one in the butt stock, I do not belive that a clip has been fired through it in the past 50 years. The gun comes with a box of ammo (21 cartridges in all) and three clips. Any idea what the package may be worth?

Attachments

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Hello and welcome to G&G. Nice looking rifle. Congrats on the inheritance.

Never heard of the ammo myself either. But then, It isn't a common round. May be one that has to be hand made/reloaded? But then, ask me, I don't know. lol

It sure is one healthy lookin' round aint it? Dog gone elephant load? Hang on to your boot straps when you pull the trigger on that one. lmao

Definitely hang onto any fired brass to reload or get reloaded. Especially from the 21 rounds you got with it...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The energy on that one is good. There is another round called the .351 selfloader.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the information.

I have put the rifle and cartridges in the upcoming auction in Paris, Ontario on November 29.

·
Registered
1 Posts
winchester 401 ammo

I have 4-5 boxes very vintage and very hard to get call me at 206-779-7824 I live in Washington State. 8pm pacific time tonight would be great. my email is [email protected] but I only check email once a week or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just sold my Winchester 1910 401. I now have 6 boxes of original ammo in original boxes for sale along with 2 clips. The ammo is remington, winchester, and Kynoch (made in England and very, very rare) Any one interested please email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The M1910 is almost impossible to find anything for.They only produced these from 1910 to 1936 and only made a little over 20,000 total.I bought one at a gun show once with no clip and spent years finding a clip and some ammo.There is a forum sight for Winchester self loading rifles but I lost the address.This guy has a NOS Winchester clip,$165 Clips and Magazines for Rifles, Pistols, ShotgunsThe main problem reloading for these is a bullet source,what's available is expensive about a $1.00 each or spend $150 getting a mold custom made.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
+I noticed my last Grafs flyer has .401 wsl berdan brass for sale, thought it was a bit odd...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a .401 WSL too

Just dropping in after reading the thread. I have a 401 WSL from my father who bought it used in 1936 for his brother who shot a Bear with it. It was advertised as the "Hammer of Thor":hail:. You should see the heads turn when you shoot it at an indoor range. I too have got jacketed soft tip 200 gr. bullets from old west scrounger and have reloaded them plenty of times. Got dies from RCBS. I have two clips and about 60 rounds of ammo. I love the little big gun. Any questions you can contact me at [email protected].

Phil

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys just found this forum and hope some one can help me. I just inherited a 1910 Winchester .401 self loading rifle and i am looking for some where to buy ammo. Thanks, Don

I inherited the same gun. It originally was my Grandfather's and then my Dad's. You can get ammunition from Cabellas in there obsolete ammunition area of their catologue. They cut down a different caliber that is similiar. I bought a couple of boxes. I will caution you that I had trouble with the magazine feeding the shells. It may just be my magazine. I only have one. I have looked but have not been successful in finding additional magazines.

My Dad used this gun for years deer hunting in MI. It was a good brush gun and he had few deer run on him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Follow these instructions for ammunition for this beast.
Contact C&H tool and Die and tell them I sent you
Shell out about 150 for their kit which includes dies for the 401 and expander dies for the cases you will use and a bullet swaging die
Go 2 Midway and get yourself 200 new cases for 7.62x39
Order some .410 bullets semi Jacketed 200 grain bullets
I am assuming you have a RCBS Rockchucker (You either buy it first or buy it last)
Using the bullet swage die swage all of your bullets down to .405 dia
Then use the two expander balls expand your cases
Bell the case with the die supplied in the 401 reloading set
Anneal the cases (Propane torch pan of watter)
Length size them to 1.500 and
if they come out a little short from the original resizing process don't sweat it
then load some cases 10% below the table and go fire form them
Then reload them as keepers.
This whole buis costs about what 2 boxes of 20 cost on the open market currently so after you shoot 40 rounds you broke even.

Then have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts