close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

40S&W Selection Opinions

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by SafetyFirst, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst G&G Addict

I currently carry a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. I recently purchased a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in the Glock 40S&W variety (could not pass on the good deal). I now want to purchase a 40S&W handgun as well. I am having a hard time deciding between another M&P Shield that would be familiar in the hand and compatible with current holsters or a Glock 23 so the magazines would be compatible with the Sub2000. Both are great guns so looking for practicality opinions.

Thanks

Ten Man likes this.
  2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

The wife and I both carry the Glock 23. She has been for 6 years. I recently switched back to it. We have been shooting them for the last six years. They are totally dependable. The compatibility of the magazines with your SUB2000 is a major plus!

TXplt, SafetyFirst and neophyte like this.

3. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I've had a Model 23 since 1992. Has gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger even when I broke the recoil guide rod.

I have been looking for a Sub 2000 that takes the Glock 23 mags for a very very long time. When I find one it seems the store wants to make the years rent off of the one sale.

TXplt, neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  4. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst G&G Addict

Found mine new with a 10 round Glock magazine and also an aftermarket 29 round mag for $385.00

TXplt, neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Check these out. http://www.justrightcarbines.com/products/

6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I've seen them at a gun show once. They are pretty cool but I really like the concept of the folding Sub 2000 that will fit in a computer bag. Doesn't require unscrewing parts to take down.

Ten Man likes this.
  7. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

you guy's are giving me an aneurism.
    glockglockglock 40smith40smith 40glock
    glocketyglockclogh.
    soundin like this.:p
    BTW I think you need a 45 acp.

bad words at the end..!!!

8. longshooter234

longshooter234 G&G Evangelist

Alabama
    You know chiapa makes a 40 s&w revolver if u need another option to consider haha

neophyte likes this.
  9. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    No Brainer?
    Use same mags for both guns. A modern twist on cowboy style.
    With a 23 you can buy a 9mm barrel and have a 19 to shoot basically.

10. runfiverun

I bet they make a 38-40 cylinder too.
    Ruger used to make a convertible Vaquero old model.
    the 38-40 cylinder would get you into 10mm territory.
    I wouldn't try that with a chiapa.

longshooter234 likes this.
  11. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Indeed! I have the Mech-Tech for Glock, and also have Wolf conversion barrels in 9MM and SIG357 for all our 40 S&W Glocks. Pretty handy.

SafetyFirst and neophyte like this.
  12. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

You're just jealous! :D

We have 45ACP, too! But the OP was asking for 40S&W suggestions that match his SUB2000.

neophyte likes this.
  13. runfiverun

interchangeable magazines are always a bonus.
    you can stock up on magazines, and get one of those little tools to shove ammo in them faster.

neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I kind of like my SIG P229. Especially when I can switch between .40 cal and 357 Sig with a barrel change that takes me about 60 seconds to do.

neophyte likes this.
  15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

My SIG P226 in 40S&W does the same thing, but the magazines will not fit the OP's requirement of being usable in his SUB2000.

neophyte likes this.
  16. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst G&G Addict

I was leaning towards the Glock because of the magazines but 2 extra calibers kind of seals the deal. I was not aware you could do this.

Ten Man and TXplt like this.
  17. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The Shield is a subcompact handgun and in .40SW it is very snappy. The Glock 23 is basically the .40 cal equivalent to the Glock 19 and is in a larger class of gun. And recoil and handling is much better.

I'd just go with the G23 so you have mag compatibility or if you want to stick with an M&P then get the compact frame and not the Shield.

SafetyFirst and TXplt like this.
  18. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I prefer the ergo of my VP-40 but also like my G23 Gen 4. The G23 is a good choice and the Glock trigger can be made more user friendly through the use of a Ghost connector--having a stock pull but a fair bit smoother. That and aftermarket sights are my only Glock mods and work quite well.

The G23 holster is common to the G19 as well and both are excellent guns.

If you are LE or active/retired mil (with ID card) the Glock Blue Label program offers significant discount for the guns--along with 3 mags.

Neither the G19 nor the G23 are excessively large guns and are of a "right" size for most shooting; the only major 'loss' over a shield would be that for me the G19 or 23 are not suitable for pocket carry. But if you're IWB/OWB/etc the G23 is mighty fine.

SafetyFirst, Ten Man and TACAV like this.
  19. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Look for a used S&W CS-40. Concealable and all metal.

20. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I just bought a TNW 10mm carbine, that uses Glock mags AND easily converts to like 4 calibers.