Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've killed deer with a rifle, a muzzleloader and a bow. I decided it was time to try for one with a pistol. While looking at guns at local shop recently I found a like new blackhawk in .41 mag for a good price. My question is how effective is it and what are the range limitations on this caliber pistol?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have personal experience with handgun hunting, but I've been doing some reading about it. My research is oriented toward the .44 Magnum, which I intend to use. The indications so far are that the .44 Magnum is a humane round for deer out to about 100 yards from a revolver (6 to 8 inch barrel). Much past 100 yards, you will have problems adjusting for the drop. If you score a hit, the bullet may not have enough energy to do a good quick job.

Both Remington and Winchester provide access to ballistic information on their web sites. You might want to check out the ballistics of their .41 Magnum loads and compare them to their .44 Magnum loads. Chances are, the results will suggest that the .41 Magnum is OK, and that its performance improves as you cut down the range. For hunting purposes, I'd go with heavy bullets and 'hot' (but safe) loads. Fortunately, you are eyeballing a Ruger, so structural strength should not be an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
.41 mag

I have had personal experience with the .41 mag have had a couple contenders and now have a Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter and a 657 s&w hunter both with 7.5" barrels. The .41 mag mics at .410 the .44 mag mics at .429. The .41 mag will do anything a .44 will with less recoil. I have shot feral hogs with mine and whitetails out to 100 yds with one shot kills. PMC has some new ammo for the .41 mag that is pretty good stuff. Just my 2 cents worth.

sorry for the late chat but I just joined

:jet:

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I'm not experienced, but many are comfortable using a 357 on deer at sub-100yd ranges. I, on the other hand, don't consider the 44 Rem Mag to be heavy recoiling for hunting, and if seeking a more powerful round than 357, would go with 44 simply for being easier to find and less expensive than the 41 Mag.
But that's just me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cost

The .41 following is a rare bunch I will admit. If you look at the factory specs from places like Remington the ballistics are very close. I like mine thats why I have two of them and in the process of ordering an encore barrel. I reload my own so the cost is alot less.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have settled on a good healthy dose of H-110 under a 210 xtp, sparked witha fed magnum primer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts