Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Smith and Wesson Governor, a gift to myself 3-4 years ago. I collect SW revolvers and this big one struck my fancy. Not necessarily good for anything, except snakes, but handy for many things, and it shoots the 45 Colt that several of my handguns like and it shoots the 45 acp that also lives at my house and it shoots the 410 a gauge that I own many of and reload for. So, seemed like a fun gun. And it is cheap to shoot at a time when ammo is not cheap.

The 45 acp moon clips make this gun fun to shoot, I bought enough to load 200 rounds, more than a range trip, so there is no loading at the range. That also gives me several reloads with hollow points for defensive carry purposes. This gun goes along in addition to my EDC. In the summer when there are snakes and long hikes which we do a lot, it is just a natural and there are hogs most of the places we walk as well.

For defensive carry in town I may simply load the Golden Sabre and a couple of moon clips, same as go in my 1911s.
If I go to the woods, a couple snake shot (7.5) works fine followed by 4 of the Federal loads with four 000 Buck which appears to be the best load out there. That said, I have seen and gotten an add for these today and wonder if anyone has actually verified the claimed velocity or tested them in the field. These are the Hornady Critical Defense. They are a 210 grain .41 cal bullet with two .350 round balls behind them. They claim, 750 fps and 394 foot pounds.

I do not want to spend $35 for 20 of them just to check their velocity but if they really get to 750 I would. I am cheap that way. In terms of carry, I like 400 foot pounds coming out of my CCW just because of my prior law enforcement experience in which most of our issue ammo would be in the 400-500 ft pound range. That means a Plus P Plus in 9mm, the hotter 40 SW loads or a Plus P load in 45 acp. Any 357 mag or 10mm load gets there. Anyway if anyone has used these I would appreciate there opinion.

I am going to attempt some similar loads in which I can match the 330 grain payload and get at least 750 fps. Should be a fun walk about load. I occasionally bump into skunks, coyotes and of course snakes on my walks but have bumped into hogs several times, so I want a little more than the small 9mm in my pocket can provide. I cast 000 Buck round balls that are about 70 grains, so all I need is to buy some 190-200 grain .41 cal bullets. Or I have several bullets in 40 call that weigh 135, 155 and 180 grains so I would just need to see how accurate they would actually be. When they created the Taurus Judge and the SW Governor, the knew that they were putting bullets into the 410 loads that were going down a .452 hole, known as the barrel. With the bird shot and buck shot they work very well.
And the 45 acp and Colt work very well. The task with these combination loads is to find a combination that does not just go bonkers. The Federal load which is four 000 buck, is a wonderful load, it will put every round of buckshot inside a 12 inch circle at 15 yards, which is hard to beat for defensive uses. If this load with do that, I will be a happy camper.

Anyway, I would sure appreciate input from people who have actually shot them in the 410 pistols.
Liquid Drinkware Ingredient Glass bottle Glass

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
My friend was using the Winchester PDX ammo for his Taurus Judge. They seemed to pattern better in his gun than the Federal 00 buckshot did.
I have always thought about buying one for the house so the wife has a handgun she can defend my son and her while i'm at work.
I don't know how well the Governor keeps a tight pattern but my friends Judge kept the PDX rounds all within the 10-8 rings on a M9 target at about 10yds.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend was using the Winchester PDX ammo for his Taurus Judge. They seemed to pattern better in his gun than the Federal 00 buckshot did.
I have always thought about buying one for the house so the wife has a handgun she can defend my son and her while i'm at work.
I don't know how well the Governor keeps a tight pattern but my friends Judge kept the PDX rounds all within the 10-8 rings on a M9 target at about 10yds.
There are several pistol 410 loads out there. Some have 00 Buck and some have 000 Buck. The 00 is .33 caliber and the 000 is .36 caliber. The guns rags rate the Federal load that has four of the 000 Buck, that is four 70 grain round balls totaling 280 grains at 800-850 fps, quite a formidable load. I do not like the loads with the 00 Buck that you mentioned, I want the bigger balls.

My defense training that I rely on both for myself and students is to shoot at 50 feet and to insure where their gun hits at that range. It does not matter if it is a J frame 38 or a 380 or 45 acp, I want them to know exactly what their gun will do at 50 feet. I test and train with all of my personal carry guns at that range, 50 feet is 17 yards, much farther than what any defensive shooting should be.

So, the SW Governor with the Federal four shot 000 Buck load will put every round inside 14 inches at 50 feet, that is about like four 32 acp rounds. I fired all six rounds at 50 feet and got all 24 buckshot inside that 14 inch circle. That is consistent. I can get all six shots off in about 6 seconds, which is a chore with the recoil. Many say the recoil is very high, but I put it like any hot 45 acp. You have muzzle rise, you just have to ride it down. From that perspective I think it makes for an excellent home defense or car high jacking defense gun.

Also, the gun shoots the 45 acp and 45 Colt about 3-4 inches at 25 yards from a rest, not a target gun but good enough.

Lately load it with 2 of the Federal Buckshot and 4 of the Hornady 225 grain 45 Colt rounds. I then carry all moon clips loaded with 45 acp Plus P. Anyway, that is my take on it. I spent much of my life in law enforcement and I feel completely comfortable carry that gun for defense.

Reactions: Palladin8
1 - 4 of 4 Posts