.410 shotgun for Turkey?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nc.hunter, Mar 18, 2008.

1. nc.hunter

nc.hunter G&G Newbie

Hey guys, Would you ever hunt turkey with a .410 shotgun, have you already if so lets here about. Also what do you think the best .410 ammo would be for turkey, here in north carolina state wide spring turkey season is coming up and all i have is a .410, ohh yeah what is the range of a .410 shotgun.

Thanks.

2. webs

webs G&G Newbie

I don't think a .410 is enough shotgun for turkey.If the yardage was very close and a head shot could be made, it would kill one, but it is risky at best.You might want to check your states regulations also.It is illegal to hunt Turkey with a .410 in my home state of Indiana, as a shotgun must be .20 ga. and bigger.

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

a 20ga is minimal, turkeys are tough birds.

4. elmer fudd

elmer fudd G&G Newbie

3 inch and be close. and you still might have to go up and twist their neck!

5. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

If you can get the Turkey within 10 yards then go ahead on . It would be very wise to pattern your 410 with different brands of ammo because seriously your pushing your luck.
    What if the Turkey refused to come in any closer than 35 yards ?
    You've wasited your time, sure you might get lucky but you know, it wouldn't be good sportsman ship to take a Turkey with what I'll call a bad choice of a shotgun to use.
    Good Luck and remember we don't want to give fodder to the Anti's...A.H

6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

The .410 shotgun is really for people who are expert at shotgunning. Not something I would do.

7. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

No

The .410 (unless you and said turkey are really eyeball to eyeball)
    just doesn't have what it takes for this size game coupled with protective feathers.

It is not worth it to waste a good hunting opportunity. Better to read up on what the professional guides are recommending for the game you seek.

8. Wingwiper

Wingwiper Suspended

I have never hunted with anything other than a .20 ga and there isn't much difference between a .20 and a .16 except for the amount of pellets in the Shell. As far as velocity and range, I don't have the books in front of me, but don't think you will notice any big difference. The .410 was a great guns for varmits and Squirrel, but because of the lack of pellets, you best be aiming for a head or brisket shot. Up here when you see a Turkey, it is usually right after he saw you and you ain't got much time and you want some pellets heading in the direction quickly and as many pellets as possible.

9. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

.410 is for rabbits and squirrels not turkey. That being said I should say that it could be done. In the range of 10 or 15 yards it is possible. However it is not ethical. An H an R 20 guage is under $100 here in Arkansaw where I live. I would buy a 12 or 20 guage for turkey. It is just more ethical and will extend your range.

10. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

If you're good at bringing them in and it's legal why don't you give it a try. A pellet fired from a 410 is just as powerful as a 10 guage if the velocity is the same and it usually is. The problem with the 410 is simply a matter of less pellets. Close to 3 times! Bring them in close like a bow hunter and you won't need a big gun. How many pellets to the neck and head are needed to kill a turkey? I don't know but maybe others do. I'm thinking just one in the noggin would do it!

11. Righteous

Righteous G&G Newbie

just hide behind a tree and when it gets close enough swing at him with the stock lol

12. fishnfool1991

fishnfool1991 G&G Newbie

im sure you can but its not very ethical for one and another in biscoe nc we have big turkeys this time i went today and shot one bird and it was descent size .410 wouldnt of killed it no matter how close you were 12 gauge is the way to go.

13. NHmsj

NHmsj G&G Newbie

To be true, I am not so sure about the statement above. A .410 used properly will probably dispatch a turkey no less dead than a 12 ga. But again, the operative words here are "used properly." A .410 is not a toy, as an example, it has taken not a few deer over many years by many folk. But as with any tool, one must understand it's abilities and limitations. The shot coming from a .410 3" mag shell has all the power it needs to do the deed to a turkey at any range a 12 ga will. But, of course, and as it has already be pointed out, there are just fewer pellets to accomplished the task at any given distance. I am not aware of many .410s available in "Extra Full Choke", as seems the trend with Turkey hunters as of late. But, nonetheless, if one is going to hunt ANYTHING in what we now like to term an "ethical" manner, one needs to be accomplished with the tools one is going to use, be it 12 ga, .410, bow and arrow, rock or the more infamous RPG. Years ago I heard the clamor over how people shouldn't be allowed to hunt deer with a bow because it would cause far too many wounded animals with far too few clean kills. Well, yes, that was true, and is still true, if the person using the bow is unskilled in its use. It is no less true with the .410. Likewise, should a person be unskilled in the use of a 12 ga, that person is not going to do a very good job at a "clean" kill either, no matter what. Technology can make up for a lack of skill, patience and know-how only to a point. But, a person who knows and uses the tool at hand with skill and understanding, can accomplish amazing things that others with greater technology but limited skill might not.

Bottom line: a .410 can do the deed - if the user knows the capabilities of the weapon, the capabilities of the game and applies both to one another properly.

But, of course, the preceding is just my humble and unqualified opinion. :)

msj

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  14. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

how many of you guys that think a 410 would be okay have ever shot a turkey? a turkeys head is not a big target, especially at 35-40yds(they wont always walk right up to you to commit suicide). a heavy load of #4's or 5's is really whats needed to do the job. head or neck shot only, foget about the brisket, even heavy shot penetrates a turkeys chest very poorly.

15. webs

webs G&G Newbie

It is not legal to hunt Turkey in North Carolina with anything smaller than a 20 gauge shotgun.

16. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

I think a lot of people have put thier opinions out there. Like I said it can be done! But your chances of sucess go way down and many shots may not be ethical. It has the power but not enough shot to do an effective job.

17. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Well said NH!

18. turner

turner Suspended

+1...!!!!!

19. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

you could kill one by throwing a rock at it! why not give it a try.

20. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

There ya go. Same for IL.
    It's not the right tool for the job.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted