44 Cal Loading Question

Discussion in 'Muzzle Loading' started by alfakilo, Sep 23, 2020.

1. alfakilo

alfakilo G&G Regular

I've just bought a Uberti 1858 Remington pistol. I plan on loading 25 gr of powder but am unsure of how to get this amount delivered. I use a cylinder type flask with a 20 gr spout for my 1851 Colt, but cannot find a 25 gr spout for it.

What is the best way to load a 25 gr charge into the Uberti?

ChaZam likes this.
  2. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

K75RT and ChaZam like this.

3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

make yourself a dipper.
    cut off a rifle cartridge case, wrap a paper clip around the extractor groove and there you go.
    or you could get all fancy and braze a rifle case to a larger pistol case then file it down to the size you need.

or buy yourself a LEE plastic dipper set and use the appropriate dipper like I did for the 38 cal.

K75RT, cjleete, ChaZam and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    Everyone should have one of those adjustable measures. When you find something you want to load over and over you get a longer spout for your powder flask than you need and start cutting it shorter until it fills the adjustable one just right.

Big Dog, K75RT and TXplt like this.
  5. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

K75RT, Jack Ryan and TXplt like this.
  6. Outpost75

Outpost75 G&G Evangelist

A .357 Magnum case used as a bulk measure should be real close to 25 grains of 3Fg. Unless your Uberti chambers are bottle-shaped to reduce capacity, (which is commonly done for the brass-frame guns to reduce potential powder capacity), the chambers should hold 28-30 grains of Goex 3Fg filling the chambers within about 5/16" of the front of the cylinder mouths. Then using a lubricated felt wad under a round ball you should feel powder compression at the end of the rammer stroke, as the ball is seated flush to its full depth, which is exactly what you want.

K75RT and TXplt like this.
  7. alfakilo

alfakilo G&G Regular

Thanks to all for your help! For now until I get more familiar with black powder shooting, I'm going to stick with the gun manual info. That means 25gr of powder and I'm going to use 777 with a felt wad over it and topped off with a Hornady .454 round ball with Bore Butter to seal everything.

I'm using a CVA flask with a 25gr spout that I found on-line.

Should get the gun this afternoon and then off to the range tomorrow morning!

TXplt and Outpost75 like this.
  8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Yep, exactly what I did.

Jack Ryan and TXplt like this.
  9. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

Be sure to have FFFg sized powder for it.

10. Outpost75

Outpost75 G&G Evangelist

Also be aware that different manufacturers of black powder vary in bulk density, Swiss or KIK being more dense than Goex and Goex being more dense than Elephant. When using real black powder, I always double-check a volumetric measure against a scale, adjusting for the powder which I am actually using.

But black powder substitutes do not have the same density as black, and so are measured by comparing to the volume equivalent of "average" black powder. Bordering upon alchemy!

TXplt and austinjoe13 like this.
  11. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    You'll know when you are over loading it because the bullet won't go down enough to turn the cylinder.

Thats how I measure 'em any way.

Big Dog likes this.