44 Cal Loading Question

Discussion in 'Muzzle Loading' started by alfakilo, Sep 23, 2020.

1. alfakilo

alfakilo G&G Regular

I've just bought a Uberti 1858 Remington pistol. I plan on loading 25 gr of powder but am unsure of how to get this amount delivered. I use a cylinder type flask with a 20 gr spout for my 1851 Colt, but cannot find a 25 gr spout for it.

What is the best way to load a 25 gr charge into the Uberti?

ChaZam likes this.
  2. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Jim Bridger, K75RT and ChaZam like this.

3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

make yourself a dipper.
    cut off a rifle cartridge case, wrap a paper clip around the extractor groove and there you go.
    or you could get all fancy and braze a rifle case to a larger pistol case then file it down to the size you need.

or buy yourself a LEE plastic dipper set and use the appropriate dipper like I did for the 38 cal.

K75RT, cjleete, ChaZam and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    Everyone should have one of those adjustable measures. When you find something you want to load over and over you get a longer spout for your powder flask than you need and start cutting it shorter until it fills the adjustable one just right.

Big Dog, K75RT and TXplt like this.
  5. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

K75RT, Jack Ryan and TXplt like this.
  6. Outpost75

Outpost75 G&G Evangelist

A .357 Magnum case used as a bulk measure should be real close to 25 grains of 3Fg. Unless your Uberti chambers are bottle-shaped to reduce capacity, (which is commonly done for the brass-frame guns to reduce potential powder capacity), the chambers should hold 28-30 grains of Goex 3Fg filling the chambers within about 5/16" of the front of the cylinder mouths. Then using a lubricated felt wad under a round ball you should feel powder compression at the end of the rammer stroke, as the ball is seated flush to its full depth, which is exactly what you want.

K75RT and TXplt like this.
  7. alfakilo

alfakilo G&G Regular

Thanks to all for your help! For now until I get more familiar with black powder shooting, I'm going to stick with the gun manual info. That means 25gr of powder and I'm going to use 777 with a felt wad over it and topped off with a Hornady .454 round ball with Bore Butter to seal everything.

I'm using a CVA flask with a 25gr spout that I found on-line.

Should get the gun this afternoon and then off to the range tomorrow morning!

TXplt and Outpost75 like this.
  8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Yep, exactly what I did.

Jack Ryan and TXplt like this.
  9. austinjoe13

Be sure to have FFFg sized powder for it.

10. Outpost75

Outpost75 G&G Evangelist

Also be aware that different manufacturers of black powder vary in bulk density, Swiss or KIK being more dense than Goex and Goex being more dense than Elephant. When using real black powder, I always double-check a volumetric measure against a scale, adjusting for the powder which I am actually using.

But black powder substitutes do not have the same density as black, and so are measured by comparing to the volume equivalent of "average" black powder. Bordering upon alchemy!

K75RT, TXplt and austinjoe13 like this.
  11. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    You'll know when you are over loading it because the bullet won't go down enough to turn the cylinder.

Thats how I measure 'em any way.

Big Dog likes this.
  12. alfakilo

alfakilo G&G Regular

I am and that is an excellent point. Since my last post, I have learned that the Uberti manual loads are for black powder, not necessarily a black powder substitute such as 777. I have been advised that if I'm using FFFg 777, I should reduce the volume by 15%. However, if using Pyrodex, the manual loads are OK. So for the .44, I'll load 21gr of 777 and 25gr of Pyrodex to be in the middle of the Uberti recommended loads.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  13. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

don't be afraid to lower the powder amount.

as long as you can get the ball down on it with consistent even firm pressure you'll be fine.
    a few of my buddies target shoot their 45-50 cal. B-P rifles with powder amounts in the 25-30gr range.
    or about 20-25% what a 'normal' load would be.

TXplt, Jack Ryan, K75RT and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Triple 7 is a great product. It does differ from BP charges. The T-7 is in fact a smokeless powder. This powder does not ignite well under compression. It like all modern BP and the Subs burns very dry. Use a good lube on the axis rod and be prepared for cylinder "Lock Ups'.
    Never ever use T-7 in a Brass framed perc firearm. Brass frames can not with stand the T-7 pressures. Use Remington Caps with T-7. :) Good Luck

K75RT likes this.
  15. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I see so many people mention using triple 7,s in the percussion pistols and also in the #11 nipple and percussion rifles. They were not meant for the triple 7 compressed pellets. If you shot percussion rifles many years ago they only had BP and Pyrodex. They were made for those loose powders. The compressed pellets were designed later for the 209 shotgun primer rifles that were made for higher pressures. Many were even designated magnum in the name. They used 100 to 150 grains max. The older rifles were still using 70 - 110 grains max of powder. I would never use the compressed pellets in an older percussion cap pistol or rifle.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    TXplt, Jack Ryan and K75RT like this.
  16. I have used Triple7, Pyrodex, Shockeys and I still like your basic black powder..It is messy it can be corrosive and it can be dangerous..okay, but the standard is set with Black Powder..why not use it?
    You still need to meticulously clean your arm regardless of your propellant...so why not use the Original Gun Powder..black powder?

Jack Ryan, rando and TXplt like this.
  17. austinjoe13

I think most of these guys are using loose powder. I do, and I always recommended it to customers.

Jack Ryan likes this.
  18. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    Loose black powder is all I ever use.