close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

44 carbine Differences

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Apr 26, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I've recently examined a 99/44 Deerfield Carbine, and wonder what sets it apart from the original, or if there was more than one predecessor. Deerfield looked a heck of a lot like a Mini-14. Anyone know which parts interchange? Wish the stocks did. And mags...
    Is the older, tube fed carbine recoil or gas operated?
    And for both models, are they designed for the pistol loads, or the hotter rifle loads?

How's this for a wild idea...
    Putting the tube fed model into a modified Mini-14 or 10/22 folding stock (legal, with fixed mag)? And maybe installing a Mini-14 GB bayonet lug? I know, I'm nuts.

2. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

They are both gas operated guns haveing a rotary bolt for the purpose of lock- up. As for the hotter rifle loads I'm not sure what you mean? They should handle any 44mag load you put through it. I have found that 44 mag loads for a rifle to be only slightly hotter than full house pistol loads. Hope this helps

3. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

the original Ruger .44 looked more like a 10/22 on steroids...

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Saw one at the last gun show. Looked pretty cool. Any idea why Ruger changed to a detachable mag? The fixed mag would seem more practical than the 4 shot detachable mag, since you could top it off.

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

The gun buying public buys detachable magazine rifles...the market demands detachable therefore the manufacturers deliver detachable

6. 44fanatic

44fanatic G&G Newbie

Hey BattleRifleG3, I'm thinking like you. I've got an old .44carbine with a crack in the stock and while I could get a replacement, I've been toying with trying to stuff it into a nice folding stock, maybe a Choate. Trouble is, no one I've asked knows if it can be done without major work. I've heard that the 10/22 and early 44 were fairly close in dimensions but I just don't know. Seems like it would make a cool pack rifle and a nice companion for my 629 Mountain gun!!

If anyone has ever heard of this working let me know and I'll get started.