Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since 444 marlin and 44 Rem mag use the same bullets, I was wondering what would happen if someone tried putting a 44 Rem Mag in a 444 marlin and firing. Of course I'm not about to go do it. That's why I'm asking. The 44 Rem Mag case is straight while the 444 Marlin is ever so slightly tapered. I'm sure a 44 Rem Mag would chamber and fire, but would it be safe? I would tend to assume it would be horribly innaccurate.

Anyone know if anyone out there tried it?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The 444 Marlin is a 44 mag with 1" more case. No difference. Accuracy would be just awful considering the distance to the lands. I suppose in a survival case I would do it, but to do it to say you did it would cause corrosion to the 444 chamber from the hot burning gasses. 444 cases would not want to extract very easy after shooting too many 44's.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The 444 Marlin is a 44 mag with 1" more case. No difference. Accuracy would be just awful considering the distance to the lands. I suppose in a survival case I would do it, but to do it to say you did it would cause corrosion to the 444 chamber from the hot burning gasses. 444 cases would not want to extract very easy after shooting too many 44's.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
We heard you the first time...;)

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Actually, the 444 Marlin is slightly wider at the rear, being mildly tapered while the 44 Rem Mag is perfectly straight. There'd be a mild funneling effect. My biggest worry at this moment would be whether the bullet hitting the rifling so abruptly at an already high speed would jerk it, the rifling, and the barrel enough to be horribly inaccurate in the least, and risk over-pressures at worst.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Over pressure would be a nonissue because of the gap between the chamber wall and the bullet diameter. By the time the bullet reaches the lands and grooves I would think a considerable amount of gases would have already have escaped between the wall and the bullet.

I agree with you on that accuracy, has to be horrible. Imagine a bullet traveling up to an inch before being stabalized.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts