Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of or seen an old style 44 carbine being stuffed into a 10/22 folding stock? I have heard that the two guns are similar and that the 10/22 was made as a cheap to shoot carbine copy. My 44 has a cracked stock that could be repaired or replaced but I'd really like to have it in a nice side folder like a Choate or something. I've asked around and posted at some sites but I can find no one with an answer. I'm going to call a pal with a 10/22 and see if he'll let me take it apart to see how close things are.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I would consider the Mini-14 stock as another possible candidate.

Do either of you have a high speed rotary tool? With skill and care you could modify one of the stocks. A vertical milling machine would be even better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone is interested, I got a hold of a 10/22 and the stocks appear to be very similar. The .44 has a deep slot milled for the tubular magazine (where mine cracked) but the rest seems like some milling and filling. I'm going to give it a go and will post the results.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Sounds like a great project! Do keep us informed, I'd love to see how it turns out and how hard it was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just purchased a nice used Butler Creek side folder for a 10/22 (I love Ebay)! I was very impressed with the quality of this stock and the $64.00 price tag, shipping included, seemed like a bargain for my project. I'm headed out to the workshop to start chipping away. I'll post some photos if all goes well.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Great to hear you're giving it a try!

My motivation for thinking about a folding stocked 44 carbine was to have a folding stocked rifle during the now expired ban. The fixed magazine would have allowed the stock to be added.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a nice used Butler Creek side folder for a 10/22 (I love Ebay)! I was very impressed with the quality of this stock and the $64.00 price tag, shipping included, seemed like a bargain for my project. I'm headed out to the workshop to start chipping away. I'll post some photos if all goes well.
Did you have any luck with this project?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost done

Talk about a long time coming. The Butler Creek 10/22 stock did not have enough material in the forend for the conversion. I just purchased a fiberglass stock (a second) which I cut and adapted the Butler Creek folding portion to the cut stock. I am now in the process of fabricating a pistol grip and the project will be done. Took photos of the process and will post the finished product in the next week or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ruger 44 Mag Carbine

How did your stock work turn out and are you still going to post pictures. My 44 mag ruger carbine has a crack in the stock from the factory not installing the recoil lug in the stock stock correctly. I glass bedded the stock in 1965 and it has held for 35 years. I bought the gun in 1964 and it is the handest gun I have. I use it most for hog hunting in Texas.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm interested to hear about the progress of this project too. My stock on my 44 Mag Autoloader is still in good condition, but I always thought about buying a 10/22 aftermarket stock if the original stock ever wore out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts