close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.45-70 & .50-70 Trap Doors.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Gyrene, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    I was asking for a place to post things related to Springfield Trap Doors and Springfield Muzzle Loaders. So I gathered some comments I had made earlier in the Krag Forum, to maybe get things started here.

I never thought I would have a chance to get an unmolested .45-70 Trap Door Springfield. Suddenly from the same source as a .30-40 Krag, it was available, as was a .50-70 Allin Trap Door Conversion Springfield. The problem with the .50-70 is the cost of brass and loaded cartridges with shipping and all would cost $5.00 per shot.

I bought both of them. The .50-70 Allin Trap Door Springfield Conversion cost me $700.00. That was quite a lot less than the asking price, but then he is a friend of mine. It is an 1863 Springfield muzzle loader (Civil War era), that was modified with the Allin Conversion, at Springfield, in 1870. It is very much like many if not most of the rifles carried by Custers 7th Cavalry at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

The .45-70 (load to .45-50 w/405 grain bullet)Trap Door Springfield Carbines are rare and quite pricy! I saw one last Sunday which had been owned by the current owner's father, and before him the grandfather. NAW, he wouldn't even consider selling it, but he said I can shoot it anytime I want.

I couldn't help myself,I get greedy sometimes especially if I have a couple of dollars in my pocket that I can't remember what bills I intended to pay with them, that is why I bought both Trap Doors.

Keep in mind, ya gotta get any cases he has, cause last time I looked it was $47.95 for 20 cases, and about $84.95 plus shipping for 20 loaded cartridges. Close to $5.00 per shot, so I don't think I'll shoot it very much. But, nobody said shooting a .50 Cal is supposed to be cheap!

I guess that it was just natural progression that took me to say something about the Trap Doors, maybe there should have been a Forum for them, too!

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I have a 1884 Trapddor as well as a 1893 Marlin in 320-40 both are excellent guns

3. Ross

Ross G&G Newbie

.50-70 Gov't.

Gyrene,
    Cases for the .50-70 can easily be formed from .348 Winchester brass. The rim is rather minimal, but the cases extract fine in my M '70. If you are not familiar with Oroville's Huntington's Sportsman's Store, you will find all that you need to load for a lot less than $5.00 per.
    Buffalo Arms also stocks good brass at affordable prices.
    Cast bullets are widely available, but soft ones are rarer, so that you may want to cast your own.
    Though I have dies for the .45-70 and .50-70, I usually do not need them for an afternoon's shooting and loading at the range. Sometimes I shoot all afternoon with a single case. No expensive tools are required; no dies, no press, no scale.
    Spencer and Pat Wolf's book _Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine_ is invaluable ... about $20.00.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross