Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
45-70 has been problematic
I loaded some rounds
Everything is in spec
The cartriges go through the chamber gauge perfectly
COAL is correct
.458 diameter projectiles and they won't feed in a Henry rifle..
It seems the projectile engages the lands and grooves which are sharp at the end of the chamber
Trunchiated cone factory loaded cartriges work fine
My home loads don't.
It's a Lee 340gr .458 RNFP
Loaded at the cap groove.
Has anyone has this same problem?
I called Henry
Their bore diameter is .450...
That's tight as hell for 45-70
Is this common? Has anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
183 Posts
.450 bore is way too tight if that is groove to groove diameter , even for Hornady Leverevolution Ammo which has a shorter case but uses a .458 diameter Jacketed bullet. I would contact them and send it back for a proper bore Barrel. SAAMI specs are .450 lands to lands and .457 groove Diameter.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I cast that same bullet from the Lee mold and fire it in a Marlin Guide Gun since about 2008. Never had any problem whatsoever. I do not even size the bullets, just load them as cast. I load them at trapdoor level and some at 1600 fps, never a problem.

Have you ran them back through the sizing die after loading? I know you said they fit the gauge, just wonder if the gauge is as tight as the sizing die?

You said they do not feed, did you mean they will not go into the chamber, or will not cycle thru the action?

·
Registered
692 Posts
.450" is too tight for a .458" bullet. Slug the bbl and measure the bore. It sounds like your bullet is engaging the rifling, preventing full chambering. Easily check this by trying to chamber one of your cast bullet rounds and then extracting. Look to see if rifling is engraved on the bullet. If so, either choose a shorter bullet, or ask Henry (or a local COMPETANT gunsmith) to lengthen the chamber. If the rifling does not engrave the bullet, I don't know what is happening. If you figure it out, post back here with the solution, please.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
the saami spec for the 45-70 is ridiculously tight.
i'm more surprised when someone actually finds a bullet that works than when they find one that doesn't.

anyhow you can rent a throat reamer for like 35 bucks and cut it by hand at home in like 5 turns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts