Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I’m going to buy one of the NEF Hindi Crack Barrels. It appears that this year we will be able to use one during the primitive weapons hunting season. I’m looking at the 45-70 and the 444 Marlin. Right now I’m leaning towards the 444. I’ll be casting for whichever one I get.
I’d like to know which one you folks would recommend and why.

Thanks, Sam (DS)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I prefer the 45-70. Wider range of bullet styles weights. Great cartridge, very versitile.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It appears that this year we will be able to use one during the primitive weapons hunting season.
Wow...they consider a NEF Handi primitive, wished they thought that way here.

Only thing I heard bad about either is the 444 does better with a heavy bullet. My buddy used his for bear and deer and stayed at 265 gr and did fine.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the 45-70 is a much more versatile cartridge. the 444 is limited by the pistol bullets it uses.
cant see any place allowing one of those rifles to be used as a primitive weapon!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had read something about cartridge guns being allowed for primitive hunts somewhere. I was under the impression the guns had to be replica or original black powder cartridge rifles. Not modern smokeless.

I'd go with the .45-70 for all the reasons stated above. Yardage is not a problem. I can shoot accurately and lethally out to 300 yards. You just have to find a load that works well and stick with it and learn where it is at various distances. The Hornady 325 gr. Leverevolution works best in mine.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
You must decide

I can only recommend you study the ballistics tables
then make a decision based on your particular plans
for hunting and/or target work with this rifle. Each
round has a wide performance potential for the handloader
as you can easily see in the loading manuals. Each has found
success in the marketplace although, naturally,
the .45-70 is the greater selling round due to
Western shooting popularity and the larger number
of guns chambered for this round. In the final analysis
it may a very close call. I know it would be for me.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Almost forgot, I thought the NEF Buffalo Classic qualified if loaded with black powder cartridges. Better check it out before you buy the wrong thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the 45-70 this morning. I had this topic posted on several other forums that I'm a member of and have gotten a great ammount of replies from all together. I will be reloading and casting my Boolits and there are better choices of moulds and loads for the 45/70. Over all the 45/70 was highly recommended over the 444.

Here is a link for the Mississippi regs on the primitive hunting with center fire arms.
Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks - Hunting - Trapping

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Great Job! I was hoping you'd get the 45/70. But don't know much about the 444 so didn't chime in.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
You ordered the right gun and you'll not be disappointed. You have lots of different loadings of ammo available for the 45/70 where as you don't the 444.

Enjoy the beattings LOL !!! ...A.H

·
Registered
215 Posts
Great choice! I love mine. I'm sending a receiver and foreend back to NEF today for 3 new barrels. A stainless .30/06 and a blue .22-250 and a blue .357 to go with my Blackhawk to replace my .30-30 as my saddle gun. I checked out the Mississippi link and you were right from the beginning. It is kind of scarry. I always considered my flintlock to be primitive! Your state must be overrun with deer. The stuff I read must have been for another state.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the 45-70 this morning. I had this topic posted on several other forums that I'm a member of and have gotten a great ammount of replies from all together. I will be reloading and casting my Boolits and there are better choices of moulds and loads for the 45/70. Over all the 45/70 was highly recommended over the 444.
Here is a link for the Mississippi regs on the primitive hunting with center fire arms.
Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks - Hunting - Trapping
Good Choice!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use to have a 100 + year old Winchester Model 1886 in 45/70 … I loved that thing, but I just couldn’t justify having $5000 tied up in one gun… So I sold it, and bought a Marlin 45/70 to make up for my seller remorse... I think the thing I like the most about it, is watching the slug kind of lob down range after it leaves the barrel… It’s pretty cool… It’s like have your own personal tracer bullet, which are invisible to everybody else.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Petemi, I live in Louisiana right on the border with Mississippi. Word has it that Ark and La will follow suite this year with the Ms Regs. In any case I just wanted one. I'm already thinking new barrels too. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get a new barrel fitted to the reciever. I was impressed on how little it does cost. Here is a link to the H&R Accessory Program that has the prices. There is a $15 fee for fitting and $10 shipping charge plus what it cost you to ship the reciever to them extra.
H & R Firearms: Customer Support

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I wonder what H&R has to do when they fit a barrel ? I came real close to buying a 45/70 and then I was going to buy the ventalatted rib 12ga. barrel that you see on the Classic Deluxe shotgun.
Do you suppose all they do is check head space ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder what H&R has to do when they fit a barrel ? I came real close to buying a 45/70 and then I was going to buy the ventalatted rib 12ga. barrel that you see on the Classic Deluxe shotgun.
Do you suppose all they do is check head space ?
It is a little more involved than that. I think that it was on Greabeards site where that I read about all of the steps that were taken to fit a new barrel.
If you haven't ever been to greybreads, then check it out. They have a forum for NEF rifles there and it is very active.
Graybeard Outdoors - Index

1 - 20 of 20 Posts