close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

45/70 or 450 Bushmaster for ohio big buck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Moroco Mole, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

"I'll take "Ranch Rifle for $500, Alex." LOL!

If I were going to carry a "Long Gun" style rifle, I'd just take my .308, loaded for deer.

The advantage of the 450BM upper is the modularity. One Lower, two or three (or more) Uppers in different calibers, i.e. 223/5.56, 300BLK, 450BM, etc. One scope with QR mount, and good to go anywhere after any game.

If I didn't already own a Mech-Tech 10MM carbine, I'd do that!

Moroco Mole likes this.
  2. 870shooter1

870shooter1 G&G Evangelist

Tucson
    The 30 Rem is the parent case for the 10mm. I'm thinking if you were to just blow that out to straight wall, you'd have a great straight wall 10mm mag! Oughtta be up there or surpass the 450 or the 45 win mag.

The 10mm as you likely know, has pushed a 230 grn at 1150 from handguns.

I'd bet it's lots of fun from a carbine of 20 or so...

Ten Man likes this.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

You know, I think you are on to something. I was just thinking a couple days ago that someone should make a 10MM rifle.

Moroco Mole and austinjoe13 like this.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    If that's an option, in my opinion it's the way you ought to go, Morocco Mole. grizcty does have a valid point that the .45-70 is overkill on whitetails, but I think he would concede the point that it's a lot easier to lay your hands on .45-70 Government than any other high power straightwall cartridge.

If you can get a scoped Henry Big Boy with decent or better glass for $700, you should. You could then experiment with the available commercial loads to determine which it shoots best, and which will be best suited for the mission of shooting in the terrain and cover your old ten point friend Moto likes to frequent at the ranges you are most likely to be able to get a clean shot at him.

And of course, in a few years when you can afford a hunting trip out west to go after elk, you'll be already set to go with a rifle you know and trust. Furthermore, should Mister Grizzly Bear decide to put in an appearance, you will have something in hand that he will have to pay attention to when you tell him he's dead and needs to lie down and be a rug.

So yield to temptation and buy the Henry. Save your AR lower for some other project.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  5. 870shooter1

870shooter1 G&G Evangelist

Tucson
    Run with it and brand that sucker! Have your name live forever!

Folks will cheer you, (or laugh, dunno which!)

Moroco Mole, austinjoe13 and Ten Man like this.
  6. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Enthusiast

Ohio
    Figure after I get my shotgun set up. Then Maybee after i finish the AR as a 233 556(big cyotte problem RounD here , hunting cyotte gets permission slips from milk cow and sheep farmers to hunt everything else). Take a break in the spending and Maybee next year get the bushy upper OR A 45 70 OR BOTH..

Cyrano and Ten Man like this.
  7. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I absolutely prefer the .308, but Ohio doesn't allow it to be used. For the money, the Ruger American 450 BM would be my choice since I could get the rifle and optics for the price of the AR-15 style upper.

Moroco Mole, Ten Man and austinjoe13 like this.
  8. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Enthusiast

Ohio
    I'm thinking WAIT a while and the 450 will be able to be found Used about 2 months after someone's tax money RUNS out.

Ten Man and austinjoe13 like this.