close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.45-70

Discussion in 'Henry' started by draftingmonkey, Jul 9, 2014.

1. draftingmonkey

draftingmonkey G&G Evangelist

After 3 years of anxiously waiting and 2 years of emailing Henry, I finally got my .45-70. Wouldn't you know that the day I picked her up I received an email from Anthony Imperato telling me that if I was still having trouble to contact him and he would get one to my local firearms dealer. A little late but I am a happy camper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blaster, TXplt, MosinRuger and 2 others like this.
  2. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

Why the wait? Did you have problems with it and have to send it back to them for repair?

3. draftingmonkey

No. Took that long for my dealer to find one here in Cali. Also, has not been a high production firearm so they have been slow to ship.

4. Tack Driver

Ahh, that's really something else cause I have been seeing .45-70 Henry's in my LGS for the past year and a half or so. They sure look nice. I like that peep rear sight

5. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Congrats,
    Welcome to the 45-70 club.

Mindy up North likes this.
  6. Tack Driver

killer of kitchen raiding grizzly bears

7. draftingmonkey

A buddy of mine in MT has seen them for awhile there also. Probably not a big market in Cali is the reason for the long time in coming.

Actually, my first was an H&R Buffalo Classic, but thanks for the welcome.

Tack Driver likes this.
  8. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have been eye balling a Henry 1885SB 45-70.... it's only $675... I'm thinking hard about it....

9. draftingmonkey

10. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I would keep the ghost rings unless you are planning shots outside 100-140 yards. Somehow couldn't bring myself to put optics on mine.

Tried to find the Henry a couple of years ago but they were scarce then too--glad you found one. I wound up with a Remlin GBL which I've been very happy with but had to put the sights on myself (XS ghost rings).

Nice looking rifle--enjoy.

You will probably find signifcant POI changes with different loadings; I finally settled on the HSM +P bear loading 430 grain which does everything I want. It's probably pretty standard ballistics for hand loads too. I have it slightly high at 100 yds which seems to work for any shots I take.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HSM-Bear-Load-Handgun-Ammunition/1214149.uts

11. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Nice rifle. Reminiscent of the Marlin 1895 I had a few years back. JR

12. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Congrats on the new acquisition. I have seen them at the SHOT Show but not locally. I really like the way they feel and I also like the fact that they come standard with the peep sight.

Personally I would not put one of those scopes on the Henry. It would look out of place since your rifle is shorter than a standard rifle. If you were wanting to go with a scope I would put a small 1-4X or 2-7X. If you don't need magnification to shoot then I would leave it as is. I put a 1-4X on my Rossi and quickly took it off and stayed with the buck horn sights. I am wanting to put a set of peep sights on it though.

13. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Range report needed now, that's a good looking lever gun

14. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Very nice, I love the punch of that round!

15. Should become easier to find now that the 30-30 and 45-70 s are being made in Rice Lake Wi. Wether all are being made there or its added production I dont know but I will be getting one of them. Nice to see something as cool as HENRY rifles being made in the northern part of our state!