Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Yep. It would kill anything within 100 yards of that target. I have never shot mine more than 100 yards that I recall. Think I am going to run some ballistics and figure out the drop at 200-300 yards. . I think I will scope it then see how far I can shoot gallon jugs. Thanks for posting that, reminds me I need to get back to that project...

I have been to Adobe Walls where a 45-70 allegedly killed a threatening warrior at 7/8 mile, but like that 15 pound bass I caught, opinions vary.
"''''On the second day a group of fifteen or twenty of the Cheyennes appeared on a high mesa overlooking the post. Their appearance led to the famous gunshot of William (Billy) Dixon, when Dixon, inside the stockade, shot an Indian off his horse seven-eighths of a mile away."'''' some say a Sharps Buffalo rifle, some just say a 45-70....
Not exactly a Marlin Guide Gun....

."
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

Anybody shoot long range Sharps or black powder? Looks like my Marlin with my fun load, a 340 Lee mold cast leaving at 1500 fps will drop 152.3 feet at that 1000 yards. The beauty of that is you can shoot, then put your gun down and get your spotting scope ready and 3.57 seconds later, watch the bullet hit. Cool, like home made artillery.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The precursors of the National Matches were shot with Trapdoor Springfields. In those days the bullseye was elongated. It was accepted that the bullet would probably drop significantly, but windage was important. There are a few crusty tomes from CMP which discuss this era of competition.

The .45-70 can achieve reasonable accuracy out to at least 300 yards but it's dropping around 40 inches by then.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I'd love to get a chance to go to Viale Range at Camp Perry and put the volley sights on my 1884 pattern Trapdoor to the test. I really wonder if the old girl has a chance at 1,000, much less the 2,000 the sights are measured out to. Could you imagine shooting over a mile with a Trapdoor Springfield? I just don't see it.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I have a Springfield trapdoor, Marlin lever guide gun and an Enfield Jungle Carbine chambered in 45/70. That round is no joke. Ideal brush gun but will also reach out a bit
You are a lucky man. I hunted for one of the converted Enfields for probably a decade, Do you know if anyone still does the conversions or have the barrels available?

I have a stainless Guide Gun, and you know, love it. Guns have a different effect on people. The 4570 has ''character''. Here are some 350s and 405s with some H335. Love those nickel cases. . I have what I call a trapdoor load that I load with unique pistol powder, grand kids shoot it, 340 grain mullet at about 1100 fps. Need to load some more for when the zombies come..

Tool Wood Art Service Office supplies

·
Registered
22,655 Posts
Yep. It would kill anything within 100 yards of that target. I have never shot mine more than 100 yards that I recall. Think I am going to run some ballistics and figure out the drop at 200-300 yards. . I think I will scope it then see how far I can shoot gallon jugs. Thanks for posting that, reminds me I need to get back to that project...

I have been to Adobe Walls where a 45-70 allegedly killed a threatening warrior at 7/8 mile, but like that 15 pound bass I caught, opinions vary.
"''''On the second day a group of fifteen or twenty of the Cheyennes appeared on a high mesa overlooking the post. Their appearance led to the famous gunshot of William (Billy) Dixon, when Dixon, inside the stockade, shot an Indian off his horse seven-eighths of a mile away."'''' some say a Sharps Buffalo rifle, some just say a 45-70....
Not exactly a Marlin Guide Gun....

." View attachment 175965

Anybody shoot long range Sharps or black powder? Looks like my Marlin with my fun load, a 340 Lee mold cast leaving at 1500 fps will drop 152.3 feet at that 1000 yards. The beauty of that is you can shoot, then put your gun down and get your spotting scope ready and 3.57 seconds later, watch the bullet hit. Cool, like home made artillery.
Just because he dropped that guy at 7/8 of a mile, doesn't mean he did it in one shot, or that he was even aiming for him rather than another member of the group.

Don Brown hit a target at 1336 yards with an arrow, roughly 3/4 of a mile, but it took him a couple of tries.

·
Premium Member
10,386 Posts
You are a lucky man. I hunted for one of the converted Enfields for probably a decade, Do you know if anyone still does the conversions or have the barrels available?

I have a stainless Guide Gun, and you know, love it. Guns have a different effect on people. The 4570 has ''character''. Here are some 350s and 405s with some H335. Love those nickel cases. . I have what I call a trapdoor load that I load with unique pistol powder, grand kids shoot it, 340 grain mullet at about 1100 fps. Need to load some more for when the zombies come..

Mine was from Gibbs Rifle Company I believe from Martinsburg W.V. Navy arms barrels. Cant find the rifles anymore and Barrels either. I believe they were the same company actually. Nice cartridges there and like the cases. Awesome!

View attachment 175983

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Just because he dropped that guy at 7/8 of a mile, doesn't mean he did it in one shot, or that he was even aiming for him rather than another member of the group.

Don Brown hit a target at 1336 yards with an arrow, roughly 3/4 of a mile, but it took him a couple of tries.
You are just trying to ruin a good historical story that we enjoy to repeat. I will tell you that I have made a number of very long, one shot kills and of course with witnesses. The very first was a goose that I killed over 880 yards, one shotbwith ball ammo, in British .303. These geese were sitting on a wheat field just beyond the half mile fence on a section line road. A known distance, I used the 2000 meter sight to get proper elevation. After a long session, resting the gun on a car hood and getting my breathing just right, a I fired. A hundred geese left, save mine. I had called a lone goose away from the flick, but it was impossible to say he was the exact one fired at. But we know if was the one, I was aiming at because I would have to have missed by about 30 feet, to hit a different goose. So there you have it a historical fact, observed and recorded by me and my unbelieving buddy who bet I could not kill a goose that far. Just because he could not do it, does not mean somebody like me and Elmer Kieth cannot do it. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

There us a fellow that works at the NRA Whittington Center that claims he has hit the White Buffalo 5 times sith his BFR 440mag, In think it has a 5 or 5.5 inch barrel. The buff is 1100 yards. When I asked him how many rounds he gas fired, he just laughed. Like a hoke in one, they do happen. With my 45-70 I doubt anything is at risk beyond about 300 yards.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
22,655 Posts
You are just trying to ruin a good historical story that we enjoy to repeat. I will tell you that I have made a number of very long, one shot kills and of course with witnesses. The very first was a goose that I killed over 880 yards, one shotbwith ball ammo, in British .303. These geese were sitting on a wheat field just beyond the half mile fence on a section line road. A known distance, I used the 2000 meter sight to get proper elevation. After a long session, resting the gun on a car hood and getting my breathing just right, a I fired. A hundred geese left, save mine. I had called a lone goose away from the flick, but it was impossible to say he was the exact one fired at. But we know if was the one, I was aiming at because I would have to have missed by about 30 feet, to hit a different goose. So there you have it a historical fact, observed and recorded by me and my unbelieving buddy who bet I could not kill a goose that far. Just because he could not do it, does not mean somebody like me and Elmer Kieth cannot do it. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

There us a fellow that works at the NRA Whittington Center that claims he has hit the White Buffalo 5 times sith his BFR 440mag, In think it has a 5 or 5.5 inch barrel. The buff is 1100 yards. When I asked him how many rounds he gas fired, he just laughed. Like a hoke in one, they do happen. With my 45-70 I doubt anything is at risk beyond about 300 yards.
I was trying to defend the story. Some people say it isn't true. I said that it very well could be true, but that doesn't mean it happened exactly like that.
I used to have a photo of Teddy Roosevelt killing an elephant with a 30-40 Krag. It was a copy of a framed photograph hanging up in the Roosevelt Library. Several years ago someone knocked it off the wall and broke the frame. That was when museum staff realized it was a landscape photo, and about four inches had been folded over and tucked behind.

Standing several feet behind Teddy was an African tribesman with a huge (maybe 70+ caliber) elephant gun.

Teddy famously refused to shoot a tied bear, so I don't know why he'd lie about shooting that elephant. In my mind he killed it, and the guide was there to protect the president if he failed.

The question is, did Teddy kill it with a Krag, and the tribesman was there for backup, or did the tribesman kill an elephant that had been wounded by a U.S. president.

A whole lot of history is missing key details. Just because something is a fact doesn't mean there aren't additional details, and just because it is history doesn't mean it is fact.

·
Registered
16,885 Posts
I hit a good size doe a few years back at about 72 yards. Flipped her sideways from standing sideways in a circle to land on the side that was facing me. A complete plus quarter circle!

Now my poor Marlin is a safe queen due to my shoulder. Sucks!

·
Registered
12,281 Posts
shoot with the other shoulder.
i have a pair of left hand rifles, and really regret not dropping that 1200$ on the left hand custom stocked M-1 Garand i looked at like 6 times.

Reactions: neophyte
1 - 13 of 13 Posts