Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Nope, of course shot placement is the key.

But, sometimes, like currently, it's use what you can find.

My preference in .45ACP is a good modern JHP from 185-230grs factory or loaded in the +p range. Whatever the individual pistol functions and has best accuracy with.

But again get what you can for now.
FMJ in any pistol round isn't realistically the best. However if stuck with FMJ .45ACP 230gr is pretty much the best one to be stuck with.

·
Premium Member
12,318 Posts
I personally do not carry FMJ in anything. I, however, have not ever carried a .45 either. My thought on FMJs is that they're better than nothing, and probably have plenty of stopping power, but why use them when the alternative is SO effective?

That being said, my Glock 45 (model, not caliber) currently has FMJs in it!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
In a nod to animalspooker and his interesting discussion starting questions, here’s a broad question for consideration for anybody interested:

Does anyone carry .45 acp fmj in their SD weapon?
Not prefferred but I would and have over a lot of other choice. We won a world war with it. It'll probably be OK for here to Bedford and back.
Now I have a mold to cast hollow points, I'd probably carry those. Matter of fact just soft cast lead round nose wouldn't be a bad choice if over penetration is a concern.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,583 Posts
I don't see a reason to--provided your .45 platform feeds reliably with 230gr. expanding ammo (HST, Critical Duty, Etc.).

I HAVE carried my 10mm with solids but that was for a different reason (mostly bear). But even here I almost always use the 180 grain gold dot/unicore etc. expanding ammo.

FMJ was used in the .45 for years through many wars and it has a fair bit of surface area. So there's probably nothing wrong with it. And reliable feeding is the key; if your gun doesn't like HPs either fix it so it does or feed it something it likes.

I DO use the large Keith bullets in my .44 and .45 colt so I guess there's nothing wrong with a solid design in larger calibers (and a .45 is the one thing I might feel comfortable having FMJs in).

It's like anything else; have the best choice available to you which you shoot well and are comfortable with. I really like the .40 and stoke it with HST or the gold dots. In the 9 it's HST usually. I've a sig 220 and it's usually carried with the 230 grain Critical Duty.

ONE thing I AM a fan of in the 45 is the heavier bullets IAW its original design.

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
With reasonably slow cartridges such as 45ACP and 380ACP my contention is that over penetration isn't as big of a issue as it would be with a 155gr 10mm or a 125gr 357 Magnum. I would not hesitate to load a 45 pistol with 230gr FMJ... I have a 380 loaded with FMJ right now but that might change whenever I get a chance to function test some JHP ammo I have for it. If it doesn't like the JHP ammo I will not hesitate to go back to the FMJ ammo.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,583 Posts
With reasonably slow cartridges such as 45ACP and 380ACP my contention is that over penetration isn't as big of a issue as it would be with a 155gr 10mm or a 125gr 357 Magnum. I would not hesitate to load a 45 pistol with 230gr FMJ... I have a 380 loaded with FMJ right now but that might change whenever I get a chance to function test some JHP ammo I have for it. If it doesn't like the JHP ammo I will not hesitate to go back to the FMJ ammo.
FMJ or solids actually isn't that bad of a choice for the .380 given its limited penetration to begin with. Although there may be better options; plenty of denim/gel tests on the internet to get a few more data points.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I carry hollow points for any SD ammo carried in an autoloader. If I had none of those, I would carry semi-wadcutters.

I carry hollow points or soft point SD ammo in a revolvers. Wadcutters or semi-wadcutters would be my choice if no HP or SP ammo were available.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,583 Posts
I know with 1911's they can be finicky with hollow points, and tend to feed FMJ's more reliably. That would be one reason to use FMJ over a hollow point.
Ya...that was the point I was getting at. The number one criteria for any firearm is reliability. It's gotta be able to function reliably. If it does fine with HPs and FMJ alike, then I'd prefer the HPs (it's not gonna shrink). But if it needs FMJ to function reliably it gets FMJs. Now the .45 is a large enough caliber that FMJs I think are OK (and historically have done OK in service; especially before autoloaders were so reliable in eating most types of ammo), but I'd not want them in a 9.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,312 Posts
I figure the. 45 is big enough, bullet style won't really matter. My Colt M1o91A1 only fails on one bullet - the Speer JHP. It's not the shape that fails, those Speers seem to be a tad bigger diameter, bulge the brass and won't fully chamber. So the Colt gets NOTHING labeled Speer. My Ruger Security Six revolver isn't so picky. It eats any bullet and functions fine.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I know that 1911's can have feeding issues with certain types or weights of bullets. I guess I've just been lucky. I have owned four 1911's - 3 were/are 45ACP, one was 10mm. My wife owns one more in 9mm. None of the 4 had any issues with feeding various bullet types and weights. I can't say I have shot every different bullet there is, but a pretty good cross section.

The 9mm has had some failures to eject but that was with 100 gr RN lead bullets that are loaded so light that the cases only rise 5 or 6 inches over the gun and drop back almost on top of it. Those are for my wife for plinking and they work fine for me. She is working on her grip and sometimes "limp wrists" it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts