Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,341 Posts
On reloading. 45ACP, I find my pistol likes the Nosler truncated cone bullet. Feeds as well as hard ball, but has the flatter nose that might improve ballistics a bit. Accurate too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Here is one of those gee whiz expert reports on the FBI testing. I have advanced degrees in analyzing charts, so let me give you the tips before you try and determine the value of this type of chart. First, get a very cold 6 pack of beer to clear your head. Do not, repeat do not look at this chart until you have consumed the first 3 beers. OK for analysis, there must always be a baseline of known facts, otherwise, garbage in garbage out.

OK start on the line above where it says 45 acp Federal 185 grain. First note that when fired out of the 5 inch barrel of the S and W 4506 in has a 95% success rate, got it? Now put that same bullet into the SW 645 with the same 5 inch barrel and your success rate drops to 57.5%. So, what causes the loss in effectiveness? Easy to explain from this chart. The second gun fired the same bullet 79 fps faster and had 60 more foot pounds of energy. What does that mean? Well again EZ to see from this chart, when you use the exact same bullet and speed it up so you have more velocity and more power, your success rate goes down. It is right there in black and white and proves that more speed and power lowers your success. OK have that 4th beer.

Now go to the Federal 230 grain Hydroshock and note that from the SW 4506 with 802 fps the bullet has a 95% effectiveness rate. Now shoot that same bullet out of a 1911 3 lines down, and the bullet speeds up to 828 fps but success drops to 82.5%. Again this article proves that any additional speed with the same bullet lowers your success rate. Now have that 5th beer.

One more.Go to the bottom 2 lines of the 45 acp report, both reporting on the 185 grain bullets out of a 45 and the success was 50 and 57.5% for velocities of the 185 grain bullets at 951 and 953 fps one the famous Silver Tip the other the famous Federal Hollow Point. Pretty dismal right? Now go down to the chart for the 38 specials and look at all of them, except the one at the bottom that obviously failed the famous Silvertip with 17% success. Now, all of the very slow 38 specials had success of 60-92.5% success, far better than these faster 185 grain 45 acp rounds. Now have that 5th cold beer. Oh, you already had the 5th, well go to the 6th. This chart makes it perfectly clear that any 38 special is superior to a 45 acp with a 185 grain hollow point. Look at the chart very closely. Charts on internet articles must be true. I think it is an internet rule.

Now you have the advantage of analyzing bullet performance just like anyone with an MBA. So what have we learned? Remember that movie ridiculousness? Not sure. Just saying there are dozens of factors on the ground that impact whether a person goes down when shot or not. Personally I am not giving much value to those charts and informative articles. Too many arm chair experts who have never seen anybody shot just writing down what they read in a report. Make your own decisions. One thing that most folks actually know for sure, 45 ball goes all the way through most folks. And you can stick a dowel rod all the way through them after they are shot. Seems like that would be a good thing. Maybe the better chart would measure how far a dowel rod will go into the wound channel after the shot than all this expert data we read on these on line articles? Or maybe some other method becasue these charts do not tell us anything we can rely on, unless you believe that the 38 special is superior to many 45 acp rounds, I do not..jHandgun Wounding Factors: A Caliber Effectiveness Guide for Self Defense and Body Damage (ammo.com)

Reactions: blaster

·
Registered
393 Posts
Functional reliability trumps everything. Shot placement and penetration then above all else.

After the first shot exchange everybody's behind cover so you may have to shoot through it.

"Parachute" effect of mushrooming bullets reduce penetration.

Colt Walker Cap& Ball Revolver, black powder with round ball

.45 Colt Revolver M1873

M1887 Revolver Ball (.45 Schofield)

M1911 Ball .45 ACP

41 - 43 of 43 Posts