Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to embark upon reloading .45 Colt for my Ruger New Vaquero (and, yes, I know it isn't as strong as the "old" Vaquero), and a soon-to-be-purchased .45 Colt or .45-70 Gov't rifle.

My question concerns over-powder wads.
1) Are they always required where powder doesn't fill a case?
2) Does the air space formed pose any danger when loaded within manual suggested loads? I'll likely tinker with blackpowder since I'm an ol' buckskinner.

No, I've not chosen a manual yet. So...
3) Can you guys suggest a manual to purchase?

I intend to reload using a Lee Hand Press since I'm talking rather low volume & limited space.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Omar using smokeless I would suggest some type of filler whether its fiber of cornmeal -- extra space can cause lack of powder burning and sometimes can be dangerous.

Personally I think your last point is right using the BP -- BO cannot be loaded to hot and you just fill the case to capacity and seat the bullet. try checking out alliants website, or buying the lee or the speer manuals.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the reloading manuals are a good idea. try lyman, speer, hornady. my favorite is the hornady book, but for what you want to load i would get the lyman manual first. there is alot of info in these books that you just dont tend to see on the web, so i highly recommend getting at least a few reloading manuals.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For reloading BLACKPOWDER .45-70 cartridges, I recommend a manual specifically for Blackpowder .45-70 Loading called

Loading Cartridges for the original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine by J.S. and Pat Wolf

It is available at several places on the internet. It is very detailed and researched with much original Frankfort Arsenal information quoted. The loads from this manual are also safe loads, pressures kept with the working pressures of the Springfield Rifle and should be safe in modern rifles of quality construction. The .45-70 can be tricky to load if certain proceedures are not followed. This manual is considered to be one of the bibles by BPC shooters.

Bill

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you sir.

Your forum comes highly recommended. I do actually shoot and reload besides reading.

I also hunt with the .45Colt, and load 275gr Keith bullets from Leadhead over H110 in the Ruger revolver. Cowboy loads are 250 gr round noses over Unique. Out and about loads are Unique, vegetable fiber card, 75 gr of hard #9 shot with a .457 round ball crimped in the mouth. Round ball shoots to point of aim and shot disperses around it for good snake and short range varmit loads.

Both the .45 Colt and .45-70 are very versatile as they can both be loaded with many variations. I use a 3-ball guard load in the .45-70 when calling coyotes. At least two of the balls will strike a coyote out to 80 yards. There is no end to fun at this age.

Bill

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll take a shot at the .45/70.
1. Over powder wads are not a good idea unless your loading manual says that the load was developed with the wad.
2. The airspace is not a problem. Why don't you try Hercules RX7...
Stay away from the BP, all you will do is make a stinking mess that has to be cleaned up right then and will ruin your barrel and cases if not cleaned immediately.
3. Lyman is the best for the .45/70

·
Registered
8 Posts
I "experiment" with my loads, and have been rewarded more often than dissapointed.

The problem with excessive space between the powder and bullet is that if the powder happens to be forward, away from the primer, sub-standard performance will result, and the load is said to be "Positional".

To avoid this unwanted situation, I either hold the barrel "up" before each shot, to settle the powder uniformly around the primer, or better, I use a "pinch" off a cotton ball and stuff it down in the case prior to seating and crimping the bullet.

Those shooting with you will accuse you of loading "feathers", but the results are positive.

I agree with doing away with the black, it is only messy, and is very non-rewarding, IMO.

Someone was asking about a small 30 cal bullet, try the little Hornady 90 grain XTP -- I use it and love it, and over 5 or 6 grains of Bullseye (and cotton) is a sweet little load.

Leonard

Leonard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts