Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok
i have been using 250 gr. bullets in my colt replicas and havent been impressed with my accuracy.
they are .452 diameter.
now i have a box of 255 gr. 454 diameter bullets i want to try. will this be safe? they are hard cast match bullets.
i guess i am asking is could the larger diameter do anything bad?
thanks you guys!
bill

i just pulled 5 samples out of each box and measured them
250 gr.

255 gr.

the 255 gr. is on the right.
i have fired about 300 of the 250 gr. bullets

the red one falls through the cylinder while the blue one will go through with very gentle pressure. (i took it out and wanted to see)

these bullets are from 2 different companies
one is D&J bullet company
and the other is
MI-TE BULLETS
they both say match grade hard cast

this is where i got the idea GUNS magazine.

this author says that if it doesnt just fall right through it should be ok

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The more alloys they add to cast bullets the larger they are when they cool.But the less leading you have.Alloys melt at a higher temperature so not as much lead is left in the bore.But the gas seal isnt as good so they make them bigger to get a good seal.They are safe to shoot,the only thing is they might build more pressure.It is handy to have a chronagraph so you can keep the fps below 900.On cowboy action they are running about 700fps.To me you have two choices to prevent leading.One is use very hard cast bullets and clean a lot.The other is gas check which is a pain at best.Not having gas checks once but having treated the bullets with Lee liquid alox,I loaded the nasty things without gas checks and 7.5gr Unique and fired about 150rds without cleaning and the leading was minimal.I believe if you get enough wax or buffer on the bullet and keep the fps well below SS you can prevent most leading.If you are going supersonic rhe only way is gas checks or jacketed bullets with a canilure to make a crimp.I think Lee bullet alox is great but advise getting a box of surgical gloves to handle it as it stinks.But it really helps on the leading problem. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i am only using 6.8 of green dot with the 250 gr. ones

i am VERY conservative with my loads

thank you sam yer a good egg!
never mind what everybody else says.....:09:

how much greendot for those 255 grainers?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If they dont go through the freebore ahead of the chamber easily watch for lead and wax buildup in the chamber just behind the freebore.This is all in the cylinder.If you look in the chamber there is a restriction.Thats where I mean you can get a buildup.It could bother when chambering another round.When a bullet goes through there it is "wiped"and can leave a deposit.This is true on any cast bullet of any cal. sam.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have had poor luck with accuracy in a variety of .45 Colt revolvers (Rugers, Colts, Ubertis). The problem seems to be inconsistency in the cylinder forcing cones. The Rugers have been particularly loose and inconsistent. I don't think there is much one can do about this, short of having a properly-dimensioned cylinder made.

Your larger bullets should be OK.

In contrast, my Ruger .44 Magnum single actions shoot light cast loads (in magnum and special brass) very nicely. Since I can essentially duplicate .45 Colt loads in the .44 Special, I have decided to no longer fool with the .45 Colt.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The .45 colt originally took .454 bullets, it was later changed to today diameter of .452. Most of the inaccuracy in .45 colt revolvers is caused by oversized chamber throats. I don't think you'll hurt your gun shooting LEAD bullets a couple of thousandths over sized. Start low and work up.

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am only using 6.8 of green dot with the 250 gr. ones

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dunno

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all of em........ duh!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Even the hardest cast bullet is way softer than a jacketed bullet. We hard core casters always size at least .001" over bore diameter, and if the gun has large throats, as much as .003" over to fit the throat. Work up loads as you would with any change in components when increasing bullet diameter. You will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where is the throat?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
where is the throat?
Right below the mouth,and I'm not trying to be funny.He calls it throat,I call it freebore.The very tightest part of the chamber.Just in front of the forcing cone. sam.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Measure the throat of your cylinder,and load bullets ,of the same size,(example .452"throat .452" bullets, .454" throat .454" bullets. I've been shooting 45Colt SA Revolvers for many many years,and learned long ago that the throats on 45Colt revolvers can run anywhere from .451"up to and including .454".The closer you are to bullet to throat size will improve accuracy, as for loading accurate 45colt rounds,Try Hodgdens HS-6,I can consistantly hit a 9" steel target at 75yards with only 9grs,of HS-6,and that is the starting load in my Lee manual. Hope this helps you get better accuracy! OH and for this load I use 250gr. Meisterbullets,they look like the bullet pictured on the left,only with the blue lube!

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
BH45:That load is right down in CA class.Wont be very rough on revolvers.My figures,that is only about 8k cup.Sounds good for punching paper or varmints.I use 7.2gr Unique for messing around and varmints.Good accurate load.About the same as yours. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
can these guns be fired so many times that the throats/freebores would become enlarged? these are bigger than .454 .
in the front of the cylinder is where i am measuring
i can see a little bit of light around the .454 bullets when i put one in the throat.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wouldn't think that you could enlarge a cylinder throat,shooting smokless powder,But shooting Blackpowder it might be possible. (BP being corrosive)
And who is the Manufacturer of your replica? You might want to look into the Ruger line of SA revolvers, I just love my Blackhawks,not too expensive,and Deadly accurate!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
they are piettas

and they are definitely not .452

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I believe they are bored that way unless you fired some very hot loads which I am sure you didnt.As someone else said,the closer you can come to the freebore diameter the better the accuracy.The one thing I wonder about is the barrel demensions.Being modern it should be .450" bore with .452 lands.The original dem,s were .450 bore with .454 lands.They used pure lead in the originals.They use alloys in castings now and this makes them harder.If you had a pure lead bullet you could slug the barrel.I would believe if you just use the largest diameter bullet you can it should be farely accurate.If there is a slight overbore the softer the cast bullet the better it would work. sam.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts