Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following does not reflect the opinions of the forum and everyone is responsible for their own actions and loads. This is opinion only. Do your own research.

So I'm always reading how dangerous and careless it is to load hot 45 colts for a Ruger Redhawk revolver. I'm told that the brass will rupture, sending the cylinder flying off in pieces. I have two questions for these claims. Just wanting your opinion on them.

1.) What is the brass case for really? To hold in the pressure or to hold in the hot gases, and to house the powder and bullet? So if a Ruger Redhawk was loaded up somehow without a case, it would fly into pieces?

2.) If the above statements are true, why do powder manufactures like Western Powder (Ramshot Enforcer) list loads for 30,000 psi loads in their loading data? Are they not afraid of being sued if the case ruptures and the side of the cylinder goes flying off to kill someone?

So I have had several 45 colt cases (never loaded hot or many times) split completely down the side in a Uberti - normal pressure loads. How come the cylinder didn't fly apart? I didn't even know until I went to eject the case. Now the Ruger is built to withstand much more pressure, so why would the Ruger cylinder fly apart if a hot load case split open? It has - with the same result as the Uberti........ Nothing.

My real question then. Why do some people have a cow and say we are maniacs wishing for death by loading up 30,000 psi loads in a Ruger made for such things and lots more? The case? The case does not hold in pressure - it is thin brass. That's why it flies in pieces if set off outside a firearm. The high quality metal cylinder holds in the pressure - nothing else.

Just my opinion and nothing else (backed up by years of experience doing so). In closing: If the cylinder flies in pieces it's do to a reload screwup or a badly produced firearm.

The above does not reflect the opinions of the forum and everyone is responsible for their own actions and loads. This is opinion only. Do your own research.

Thoughts or rebuttals :)

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
NOTE: NOT A .45COLT BUT A REDHAWK & S&W CLASSIC HUNTER SAFETY COMPARISON.
NOTE: IM NOT KNOCKING S&W REVOLVERS SO NO ONE GET BUTT HURT PLEASE!

In the late 80's I saved my spare money and bought my first Ruger Redhawk. And a 50rd box of PMC ammo to get it sighted in.

At the same time a gentleman who lived in central Arkansas at the time purchased a S&W 629 CLASSIC HUNTER when they first came out. And although not 100% proven he possibly bought a box of .44:mag PMC of the same production lot as I had.

You all know how when handgun ammo is higher velocity it tends to shoot lower?

Well I had commenced to sight in my new possession at my old backyard range. Windage dialed in fine but kept adjusting for elevation so much I unscrewed the rear sight!
Might be due to a might high velocity and maybe pressure??!!!!😮
Around the same time Mr David tried out his S&W 629 and had a BIG "KABOOM!" I honestly don't know how many shots were fired before catastrophic failure. Or if he ever told me. Yes we worked together doing security for a time.
He passed away of a heart attack roughly 10years ago.
However I don't doubt that the photos of his pistol in pieces is still floating around the interwebs.

NOW, This is NOT SAYING THAT A .45Colt model will do the same.
AND, it probably would be a cold day in hell if PMC would be forthcoming with pressure data of defective ammo.
BTW- Mr.David was compensated and would get free ammo for life from PMC.

I'll just say Ruger Revolvers tend to give the impression of being over built.

HOWEVER

Any reloading you do over what manuals list YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,079 Posts
No, but I imagine physical masturbation could lead to "southern balding" if you are too enthusiastic! 😂
All I can say is I'm now wearing glasses and it happened well after I got married.

Maybe mom was right.

To the OP--8.2 grains Universal and a 255 grain Keith works great for me. I've proven I can shoot Uber-magnum loads. I have no reason to do it anymore and if I'm looking for that fun I will go to my rifle with factory buffalo bore loads. But it isn't fun anymore to have something that hurts my hands and rattles my teeth. Ruger makes a strong revolver.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ruger builds a very strong revolver. The Blackhawk, Bisley and Redhawk are stout. You could have case failures even with mild loads. I've heard that Federal makes the strongest .45 colt cases. Linebaugh liked the Federal cases in his loads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ruger builds a very strong revolver. The Blackhawk, Bisley and Redhawk are stout. You could have case failures even with mild loads. I've heard that Federal makes the strongest .45 colt cases. Linebaugh liked the Federal cases in his loads.
I have never heard Federal was the strongest. That's good to know and I will research that. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Food for thought - - 45 Colt brass has always been difficult to find up here. On the suggestion of a friend, I cut down 100 454 Casull cases down for 45 Colt. They work well (out of a 454 super redhawk), but seem a touch stiff compared to like loads using 45 Colt brass - I suspect because of the small rifle primer. These loads are "in between" the typical 45 Colt and 454 and are fun to shoot without my wrists being punished too much. They are still in good shape after several loadings, accurate, and never stuck in the cylinder. May be worth considering if you are looking for strong 45 Colt brass and have a robust handgun.

Other than having to cut down to length, you will likely have to bevel the mouth well too. I ruined about 5 cases at first, but then got used to the procedure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Has anybody looked up Linebaugh's loads? His guns are/were built on Ruger, Seville, and some others I think. He used custom 5 shot stainless cylinders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMHO, the more I think about this.
I'd rather get a Ruger Toklat or Alaskan in .454Casull.
I like the way you think Sir :) I like the Ruger Super Redhawks in 7.5" barrel, but the shorter barrel Toklat is sweet too for carrying around. Some say they are ugly as sin, but I actually love how they look. Just a little odd like me ;)

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I like the way you think Sir :) I like the Ruger Super Redhawks in 7.5" barrel, but the shorter barrel Toklat is sweet too for carrying around. Some say they are ugly as sin, but I actually love how they look. Just a little odd like me ;)
Had to look up the Toklat...looks like my Wolverine conversion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts