Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about my first revolver being in 45 Colt. Looking for decent looking low priced models. Single or double action. I really like the Ruger Blackhawk synthetic grips but don't like the price. Maybe though. Stainless options are good. Probably want long barrel.

Ideas?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Everybody has that one gun they wish they hadn't of gotten rid of. My first revolver was a S&W Mod. 25 in .45 LC. Like an idiot I traded on a new .45 ACP. It was a large framed revolver with a 6 inch barrel. I haven't seen one since. Smith came out a couple of years ago in what they call a mountain gun. It is a mod 625. It is one of those pistols that feels great in the gun shop, but not too good out at the range, kind of clunky. I sure miss my old one though. Tell us what you wind up with.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I thought the 41mag was the mountain gun?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I had a Blackhawk in 44mag.......if it has the stock grips they are generally too small for even my small hands (you know what they say about guys with small hands :kinky:).......

I swapped the grips with some Hoagues.........

Oh wait...it was a Super Blackhawk. Same basic thing.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was checkin out Hogues too. I like the grips that are on the BFRs by Magnum Research, which I think are blackhawk related. I checked, and blackhawk prices don't look so bad after all. Or was that something else.

Also thinkin of the Taurus Tracker in 6" stainless.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Ruger Vaquero in 45 long Colt. Stainless with synthetic pearl grips.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, you've always got to make things difficult, don't you Battlerifle? :) By insisting on getting a .45 LC you've severely limited your options. Pretty much you've got the Ruger SA's, the Smith Mountain Gun, and... Colt reproductions? I can't think of much else. For a first revolver, you may want to consider something more widely available, where there are more models to choose from. You'll be more likely to find a gun that suits your shooting style out of the box. Why be specific about caliber anyway, you'll probably just convert it to something weird eventually anyway. :)

-Bert

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know me well, Bert...

I'm looking at the 6" Taurus Trackers, double action, stainless steel, and ported.

There's an actual reason for 44 Colt, in that I wanna shoot blackpowder as well as modern loads and want a caliber my friends don't have so they don't get mixed up. Also want a wider bullet selection than 44. I could use .452 or .454 caliber bullets (right?)

Factory ammo is expensive though. Maybe not the best idea now for me. Just thinkin.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Mountain Guns are slimmed down N-frame 44mag revolvers. I think they're pretty niceafter shooting about 70 rds out of one.

If you want a 45LC, just get a 454Casull. It's just like wanting a 38sp and buying one, If you buy the 357mag, you always have the option of loading up to full power. If you buy the small one, you're stuck with it, but not vice versa.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,069 Posts
BRG, you might look into the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .45 Colt/.45ACP - a separate cylinder for each caliber. I had one, and stupidly sold it when money got tight. The ACP was good for plinkin' and practice, and it would take the hottest .45 Colt loads.
I kept my over-sized custom grips, just in case I luck into another one. Ruger had discontinued it for awhile, but are producing it again. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts