Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought 44 Rem Mag was far more powerful, and that 45 Colt was on the same level as a 45 ACP. But some people say they'd prefer the 45 Colt in a power-demanding hunting situation. So what's the truth?
And which has the higher case capacity?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
with hot loads in a quality revolver the 45 colt can be loaded up to be the equal of the 44 mag. now if your talking factory loads the 44 mag wins hands down.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked my measurement library...

44 Rem Mag looks just like a thinner 45 Colt. Exactly the same length. Exactly, according to specs. But slightly wider for the 45 caliber bullets. So for blackpowder it would be a lil better, and more classic. And a wider bullet selection. But more modern revolvers are made for 44 Rem Mag. I dunno

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm getting a 454 Casull for black bear deterrance...no in between for me unless it's a 10mm

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You should get 10mm shaved on your head.

But truth be told, I may get one someday. Probly a Witness.

Well, I do sort of already have a 10mm... A Steyr M40, 40 S&W.

·
Registered
781 Posts
40 S&W stands for 40 Short & Wimpy

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:p !

I still doubt anyone would look at it and say "Oh, this is short and whimpy, I think I'll just charge the guy." Even 9mm with proper bullet design performs ok for defense. 40 is a big step up from there. Doesn't 10mm overpenetrate? I'm all for 45, and would buy one in a minute if the Steyr M-Series came out with one. Heck, I'm tempted to get a 9 just for less expenive practice.

Next time I shoot I'll shoot something that'll display the wrath of the 40! Rarrr!!

L

·
0 Posts
nobody is going to shrug off a solid hit with a .40
the .45 Colt is popular with handloaders with Rugers and Thompson Center Contenders and Encores. If you don't handload I'd stick with the .44 Magnum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts