.451 or .452 ???????????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by RMXMAN34, Mar 16, 2002.

1. RMXMAN34

RMXMAN34 G&G Newbie

I have a Ruger Vaquero, in 45 long Colt, Can I reload Bullets intended for the 45 ACP, which are .451? Most of the reloading info I have is for cast bullets, and they all say .452. Can anyone tell me if this could cause problems or hurt accuracy?

2. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

The only problem you might have with using the .451" bullets is that the accuracy might suffer, unless your gun has a tight bore. Most of the cast lead bullets are made .001" to .002" larger to reduce fouling and improve accuracy. Just don't ever try shooting oversized jacketed bullets in any firearm. The lead bullets will compress and confrom to a slightly smaller bore but the jacketed bullets will not. Also, don't try extrememly low powder charges when using jacketed bullets as they might not be able to overcome the friction of the bore and become lodged in the barrel, just stick to published load specs. Using a .001" to .002" smaller diameter bullet won't hurt anything accept maybe accuiracy.

3. The .451 is correct for a jacketed bullet in the .45 according to all load data I have seen. Go for it.

4. You also might want to slug the barrel,I have the same gun.I use it for cowboy shoots.I stick with .452.Seems to work best in mine.

5. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

.451 diameter bullets are the correct diameter for your pistol.