close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.45acp Witness

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jesse, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Anyone have trouble with the safety engaging on these from the recoil? I had one to do that once...

Jesse

2. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA
    I had one of these a few years back. I had the exact same problem and despite having EAA take a whack at fixing it, then a local gunsmith was never able to resolve the problem. I ended up trading the gun off. It was a decent shooter, but I could never depend on it for this reason. My friend has an EAA 9mm that does the same thing too. I thought the .45 caliber might be too strong for the design until I saw the 9mm do the same thing. I think they have some kind of flaw in their design.

later,
    AJ

3. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I sure am glad I'm not the only one! Thanks!

Jesse

4. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

I've got a Witness 9mm, and will be picking up the .45 in a couple of weeks. I haven't had any problems at all with the 9mm; I'll post the results of my first outing with the .45

5. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

I have a "Compact P" and do not have that problem with the safety. I have a last round feeding problem sometimes, but it seems to be a breakin problem, and getting better.

Over all I am pretty happy with this pistol. I found that I can get a 10 round mag, that has a grip like addition near the base, so it will blend with the gun, and not just stick out.

This is my first EAA, and my first plastic framed gun. I have painted the white dots wit a glow in the dark paint, but it only glows for a bout 4 hours, and not all night like I had hoped for.

I wrote to EAA as the gun was not fuctioning at all with semi wad cutters, and they explained that this gun will not work with that type of bullet... oh well.. I have several hundred that work just fine in my old Remington Rand... Maybe I will reload those with fmj next go round.
    Mac

6. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

Have you tried polishing the feed ramp? This might help it feed semi-wadcutters. My 9mm will feed any kind of ammo I can get. Also, I have found that just a very small amount of Tetra gun grease on the frame rails helped my functioning tremendously.

7. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

Zardoz, Thanks for the reply. No I have only 84 rounds thru this gun at the time, and have been busy with other things :-(

I used "Break Free" with teflon on all moving parts, just a thin film. I did not flood the gun.

When I called EAA they said the gun was not ment to feed semi wad cutters.... I would like it to feed semi wac cutters, and wish the manual said that the gun would not do so.

I do not have info on what needs to be done. I have tools and some know how, but don't want to mess up a new gun.

If you know what to do, or can tell me where to look for tech tips on line, that would be a great help.

I have a good assortment of tools, and buffs, with many compounds. I have wet dry sand paper to 2000 grit as well, and a dust like dry compund, as well as many rouge componds.

The angles involved are what I need, and maybe a gunsmith site where this work has been done with some success.?

I have a eary 1945 Remington Rand colt clone...made for the WW - 2 effort right from colt machinines and blue prints. I compared these together, but since the RR is pretty well used I can't say for certain what is angles and what is wear polish. The RR eats anything with out so much as a hicup....

The semi wad cutters get caught to the right side of the barrel and jam level.

When ball ammo is used at first every last round off the mag follower would jam the bullet tip high on the rear top of the barrel. This seems to be getting better on it's own, but there is room for improvement.....

EAA says about that! That I might not be gripping the gun hard enough when I fire the last shot.... well I tend to hang on pretty good as muzzel flip is pretty hard with a 25 oz. gun which it is empty... The last shot makes it feel pretty empty.......

Sorry this is so long, but Since I have had this gun, there has not been much interest from anyone on any site....... even here when the site was different it was a no place thread...... Mac

8. Steve E.

Steve E. G&G Newbie

I bought my 45 Witness in 91 and it has functioned almost perfectly since then. Polished the feedramp and it feeds semi-wadcutters perfectly. Had the same problem with the safety with hotter loads sent it back to EAA , they said it was fixed but it did the same thing again. I took the safety lever out and deepened the notch for the safety detent ball and have never had a problem with it in the last 10 years. This is not a recommendation to do it yourself. Only let qualified individuals work on your firearms. I'm now looking for a 40 S&W Witness.

9. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

Exactly what gets polished? Mac

10. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

I polished my feed ramp the el-cheapo way, using 200-grit sandpaper to get it stated, then using 400-grit to finish it up. It made a world of improvement, let me tell ya! JUST polish the feed ramp. If you have a dremel tool, use a polishing tip with some jeweler's rouge, and that will REALLY "slick up" the feed ramp. Don't fret too much, though, because mine was a little finicky when it was new, too. As far as the angle, keep the same feed ramp angle. The key is getting it as smooth as possible. You'd be surprised at what even the tiniest of rough areas can do to reliability. Also, you may want to smooth out the mating rails between frame & slide (I did this with a small wire brush on my dremel). I hope this helps, man.

11. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

NUTS! Forgot this, until I had already submitted my post: Ditch the break-free, and use Tetra gun grease, because it is a LOT more slippery than Break-free.

12. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

Zardoz, thanks for the tech sheet ;-) Will do, I have a dremel and many other tools.... Just was lacking info... polishing is a breeze for me, just wanting to not screw it up.... I am wondering about chamfering the barrel more... this would involve grinding with deliberate care and then polishing. There is minimal chamfering on part of the barrel now. I just want the gun to function well, which to me means feed bullets with out fail.

It just gets me that my 1945 Remington rand will eat any and all .45 acp ammo and dirt, grunge, wet, dry, ice, snow, and even bacon and eggs coated shells, and this "New Gun" jams sometimes..... With the few shells thru it so far steel cased Wolf is the worst so far as a FMJ bullet goes.... And ALL semi wad cutters jam but the first one, when I put it there by jacking the slide back. That first one goes ok.

Would you happen to have any accurate device to measure the feed lips on your mag(s)? I have a feeling that the feed lips on the 1 mag I have are to close together, but no way to compare to any others... I want to get a 10 rnd mag soon. I see there is one for my gun, so I can have a bigger grip with that mag, and still have a more compact gun with the 8 rnd mag.... These mags are pricey as hell..... EAA wants near 40 bucks each for either type!

My Rand eats any junk 6 dollar mags as well.... It can't tell a junk mag from a wilson... Some guns just have no taste.... I guess I like that type. Feed it anything and it goes bang, after that I play a bit to tighten accuracy, but thats different than feeding problems......

About the forum: I ain't bitchin, but you can get back into your own post by finding the edit button. I do that sometimes IF I want to correct something I said in error, or to add on anything I forgot, so long as there have been no replies since that post. Or sometimes to correct spelling.... I can spell ok, but my fat fingers tend to hit more than one key at a time. I think I am the only guy that is 6' at 145 lbs with fat fingers!!!!!!

13. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

DO NOT but mags straight from EAA! CDNN has factory 10-rd mags for $21.99! If you do decide to chamfer the chamber, be VERY careful not to take away too much material, and polish the s*** out of it once you are done. I've had to do this myseld on a couple of guns, and while a little tricky for us ameteurs, it can, and does (if you're really careful) work. I hope this helps you out! Remember: CDNN investments for the mags!!!! I've ordered from them before, and they shipped lickety-split, and are good folks to do business with. Oh, yeah........sorry it took so long for me to reply........I work some strange hours, sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2002
  14. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

Thxs....... just woke up, will search CDNN investments would you happen to know a link? This would be 2 for 1 the EAA folks wanting about 40 bucks plus change for a 10 and like 38 bucks for a 8 round mag.....

As for changing the angles I won't..... I usually work backward from very fine to heavy cutting compunds untill I fing the one that cuts, then work back to very fine ...Starting with a 3000 grit for final glass works. These are powder, and I mix in a drop or 2 of water with a sewn cotton buff, or wool felt buff.....

It will be awhile before I have time to do it, so any other info would be good.....

Do you have a uh.... forget the word..... dial caliper? I would like to know how far apart the feed lips are on you .45 mags.... a front and rear measurement outta do it.... Mac

15. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA
  16. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

Thanks for posting the link for me, Hipowr! I don't have a dial caliper, but I'll take a magazine to the place I buy my stuff at ( a pawn shop), and borrow one of theirs. I'll post the measurement Saturday afternoon.

17. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

OK, I just got back, and the measurements are: At the front of the feed lips-.434 inch, and at the rear-.429 inch. Hope this helps you out.