Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Can i shoot .458 win mag rounds in a .460 weatherby magnum? Are the cartridges interchangeable since the have they same diameter? Is the difference in overall length of the cartridge going to make it dangerous? Sorry for the stupid question but where i live it is quite difficult to find .460 rounds..

Thks.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I would advise trying the wrong cartridges in a firearm only if your wife has upped your life insurance.Someone may as well get some good out of it if you are dumb enough to break one of the basic laws of firearm safety:ONLY USE AMMUNITION DESIGNED AND MARKED FOR THE CHAMBER SPECIFIED ON YOUR FIREARM.Tell your wife I dont know her but love her and will be around to help her spend the insurance money. sam.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Simply stated...NO they are not even close...The 458 is .080 smaller in Diameter and shorter by almost 1/2 inch with a straight case. The .460 Wby is a necked case with a shoulder.
Rich

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Another option is for you to order your ammo from Midway, they will ship it to your door. I have a question though-What are you shooting with your .460?

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
No they will not interchange. If you are having trouble finding ammo, you may want to switch to another cartridge. I just don't see much use for the .460 outside of swatting elephants.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Nope, winchester is a strait walled case weatherby is bottlenecked. Bad idea.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
458 Lott will chamber 458 Win Mag rounds. 460 Weatherby will not. You may be able to rebarrel your 460 to 458 Lott, or practically any other round. Would need a new bolt though. Selling and buying another may be a good move.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts