5/17 Did You Know?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Huey Rider, May 17, 2018 at 7:39 AM.

1. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A standard hot water tank uses twice as much water as a tankless one.

Ten Man and PAPA G like this.
  2. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

I have looked at those. Was thinking about getting one but the word I got was that they break down a lot.
    I have all electric in my house and the electric tankless water heaters have more problems than the gas tankless.

PAPA G likes this.

3. Huey Rider

Retro fitting them can be cost prohibitive also. Looked into one once and it was going to be around $5000 to convert. However to have one installed on a new build was only around $500 more.

ncnascarlady and PAPA G like this.
  4. TNPIRATE

The ones I saw was a small box unit that hung on the wall and the cold waterline ran into it with the hot water line coming out. Seemed to me that all that you had to do was hang it where the old water heater is/was and redirect waterlines.
    That was the whole house tankless. The cost was still 300 to 500 bucks.

PAPA G likes this.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

"Hot" water tank? Always hated that term. :rolleyes:

6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

^^^ Yeah, but it beats a cold water tank every time!!! :);):cool::D:rolleyes: :usa2::usa2::usa2:

TNPIRATE, Huey Rider and ncnascarlady like this.
  7. Big Dog

8. At one point we looked into having a gas HVAC system and tankless water heater installed. Then we saw the price. So much for that idea...

PAPA G likes this.
  9. Big Dog

There are several inexpensive on-demand water heaters available (less than $400). If my home water heater tank ever needs replacement, I'll go with one of those. Or two - one for bathroom, one for kitchen. I'd like to change from all-electric to some propane systems.

10. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Just a thought: Electric heater can be run by solar power. Propane has to be delivered.

PAPA G and Huey Rider like this.
  11. Big Dog

Electric heat takes a LOT of juice, far more than I can afford in solar panel acreage and battery storage. Never forget the batteries. PV panels alone are useless. All this is spendy.
    Propane ain't cheap, but it's got many pluses, in my situation.

PAPA G likes this.
  12. TNPIRATE

I'm going to be laying black pipe for propane in my house for winter heat.
    Went and talked to Heritage Propane last week. They have a new customer promotion starting in June. New customers sign up and get a rental tank. Tank rental is free for the first year. The propane from sign up thru the first season is 1.19 a gallon. After that first season the price jacks up to about 1.38 or 1.49 a gallon for the second season. After the second season the price goes up to regular price.
    They even have a payment plan so you won't run out in winter. They can fill the tank on a schedule, or you give them a call.
    I've been using kerosene since I moved in to my house.

ncnascarlady likes this.
  13. Sounds like a good deal. I'd go for it if I got that kind of offer. Does it include installation?

14. TNPIRATE

If you're talking to me. You have to put in the line from the propane heater, to the outside of the house. The propane company will install the first 10 of line for free. The trick is the tank has to be 10 foot from the house or any out building with electric in it.
    Like with me it has to be 10 foot from my house and 10 foot from my chicken coop and shed because they have electric to them.

They will lay the line but it is going to cost you. That is if you want them to lay the line.

ncnascarlady likes this.
  15. Huey Rider

They going to let you paint your tank PINK!!!!:p:D:p:p:D