5.56/5.45 options

Discussion in 'AK47' started by SasquatchSniper, Mar 8, 2011.

1. SasquatchSniper

SasquatchSniper G&G Addict

I'm thinking of getting an AK in 5.56 or possibly 5.45 in the next few weeks. Are there any options other than WASRs and Saigas? What are the pros and cons of the two calibers (mag cost, etc.)? This will be primarily for plinking but I want a reliable rifle.

2. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

3. dills

dills G&G Regular

myself i perfer the bigger 7.62x39 round to the smaller 5.45 call me oldskool but i dont like the 20 something caliber rounds unless im varmint hunting.... all though they do offer ballistic improve ments like flatter tajectorys which may be a plus for the 5.45 or 5.56 when used as a plinker...Theres so many diffrent ak variants out there your choices are endless... just remeber to inspect your ak variant closely... mainly sight post cant is the biggest problem you will notice first, but with so many companys makeing the ak its a quality concern more than anything....

4. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

Bulgarian AK-74 Rifle - 5.45x39 - With 3 Mags #AKAGUN74 <--- same gun, 3 mags, $400. I don't know about shipping costs. Mags from them are $13/each.

If you're looking for a plinking gun, I'd recommend the 5.45 just because it's a cheaper round compared to the 5.56. If you buy online, 5.45 will run you around $0.15/round, while the 5.56 will run you around $0.30/round (less if you go with steel cased which should never be put into an AR or other tight-tolerance weapon). There are .22 AK's out there as well that would be a lot cheaper to shoot, but I can't speak to the reliability as I've never fired or even handled one.

5. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

This guy has a Polish Tantal AK74 for only..$389.95

Classic Arms Inc.

I have one it is a good shooter.

6. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

Last Summer I got the Century M74 rifle that was linked in the second post. The 5.45 is a great plinking round with almost no felt recoil and very good accuracy. The cheap ammo is corrosive so you'll have to do some extra cleaning but it's not a big deal really. It's kinda like a muzzle loader-clean it the day you shoot it and you'll be fine.

If I get another AK it will most likely be in 5.45 unless I'm offered a really good deal on another 7.62 that is!

7. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

If you don't mind the money, Arsenal makes pretty much THE best out there. Cost you about $800.

8. SasquatchSniper

That looks like a good rifle but I prefer one with a chrome lined barrel which I don't believe that one has. I like the lower costs of the 5.45 but I don't know if I want to have to stock another caliber (I have 2 ARs already). Are both caliber magazines equal in reliability, availability, price? And is there anything special you have to do to prevent barrel corrosion when shooting surplus ammo? Thanks for all the input.

9. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

There are 5.45 uppers for AR's out there as well if you don't want to go the AK route. From what I've read, they are very good in regards to reliability. The cheapest you'll find for an upper would be about $500. Aimsurplus has a spikes tactical one for $620 that has a chromed barrel and has some other corrosion resistant features and was designed to shoot the dirty surplus 5.45 ammo out there. I've read excellent things about that particular upper. Magazines for the 5.45 upper are available all over and run around the same price as 5.56 mags.

10. SasquatchSniper

I've considered an AR in 5.45 but I think an AK would be more reliable. I guess just an upper would save me some money though since I could just swap out one of my others for it. The only 5.45 AR mag I've seen are the pricey S&W ones though.

11. BarryHalls

I used to think i'd have different AR uppers and different shotgun barrels, and when bugging out that's a good idea, otherwise it's not worth it, you save about $50 per round/length, and can't shoot both at once.

12. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4rS7LWWLAQ]YouTube - AR-15 Upper Receiver Reviews - Spike's Tactical 5.45x39mm - Vuurwapen Blog[/ame]
    Spike's Tactical Midlength 5.45x39mm Upper Receiver Assembly | Vuurwapen Blog
    They describe it as very reliable while using the surplus ammo.

5.45 stainless steel, 30 round, black finish, black follower <--- $13
    I've also seen not-expensive 5.45 magazines on gunbroker occasionally.

13. SasquatchSniper

Well from that video it sure looks reliable. I think an AK is the wiser route though for cost and reliable mags. Does anyone have quality 5.45 AKs with chrome lined barrels for sale for under $600? I haven't been able to find any.

14. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

There is only one problem with shooting surplus 5.45 through an AR upper.
    All AR uppers of that cal. come with a warning if you shoot corrosive ammo through it that will void the warranty. It is a little hard to get good and clean after shooting corrosive.
    I have the S&W 5.45 upper on one of my ARs it shoots as good as my .223s.
    I shoot non-corrosive Silver Bear ammo through it & have not had any problems with it. I'll save the corrosive surplus 5.45 for the AK74s.

Model 1 has the 5.45 uppers starting at $430.

Model 1 Sales: 5.45x39 C.A.R. Upper

15. SasquatchSniper

I never thought I would be recommended an AR in an AK forum lol. I would really rather have an AK74(I'm not an AR fanboy, I have 2 MAK90s as well), I just haven't found one to my liking besides Saigas which are pretty pricey.

16. BarryHalls

Stock Saigas aren't that bad, conversion can be fun.

17. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Enthusiast

I have a Saiga in 5.45 that I converted - it has been 100% reliable.

I think the total cost when I converted it was around $800 or so.

18. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

I think Saiga would be your only choice if you want a chrome lined bore. A stock Saiga should be well under $600 leaving you some mod money.

19. SasquatchSniper

AK74 Romanian Rifle w/ 2 Mags $439.00

AK74 Rifle Interarms IAC 74 Wood

These are about the only two with chrome lined barrels for under $600. But after thinking it over I think the money would be better invested in mags and ammo for calibers I already have. There is a gunshow this weekend though so maybe I'll find a super deal. (doubt it lol)

20. BarryHalls

if your primary purpose is plinking, then that's not a bad idea. Still, the 5.45 is an excellent home defense round.