Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helo crash off the southern California coast and it appears that 5 are dead.
I always hate to hear about the loss of life when any of our service members are involved.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
How does a helicopter just fall off an aircraft carrier? Don't they anchor them down as soon as they land. Sounds a little fishy to me.

·
Premium Member
26,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How does a helicopter just fall off an aircraft carrier? Don't they anchor them down as soon as they land. Sounds a little fishy to me.
Lots of activity on a flight deck. Could have been blown overboard by jet blast or inadvertently had a taxiing aircraft directed into it. Or it could have lost the tail rotor when lifting off or something like that. Lots of ways to meet your fate on a flight deck if someone makes the tiniest mistake. I'm sure all the video footage is being carefully examined right now to assess where the blame lies. By 6 people being onboard and it not being tied down it was either preparing to take off, or had just landed.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,094 Posts
The aircraft carrier flightdeck is the most dangerous workplace in the world! One instant of innattention, and disaster can happen.

·
Premium Member
26,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have been identified and it appears that a couple are are from Virginia.
A few injured on the flight deck too.

·
Registered
21,264 Posts
The aircraft carrier flightdeck is the most dangerous workplace in the world! One instant of innattention, and disaster can happen.
I used to know a fella who lost his legs to the catapult on the deck of a carrier because one idiot messed up. There are so many pieces that have to be perfect, and one messup can mean disaster.

·
Premium Member
26,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
22,846 Posts
A linkage arm could have broken causing the rotors to go out of balance.

·
Premium Member
26,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It appears that they are going to do some deep sea sleuthing with their ROV in an attempt to recover the helo and the 5 sailors who were aboard it.

·
Premium Member
26,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
22,846 Posts
Now the families can have some closure. May the Rest In Peace in God’s hands.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,094 Posts
Glad they can be put to their eternal rest properly. RIP to them all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts