552 Speedmaster

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by Dutch, May 16, 2018.

1. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I found a 552 Speedmaster in reasonable condition today. I've never had one, and don't think I've ever had the pleasure to shoot one. They sure look neat though.

I'll pick it up tonight and clean it up some before taking it to the range. It doesn't look like it's ever been taken apart. Which is fine by me.

Who has one?

Gun Junkie, EtherialOne and Big Dog like this.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

A few years back I bought one from a local pawnshop. It was filthy, and wouldn't chamber a round. Found a very beat-up Winchester .22LR round stuck in the chamber!
    Once cleared, cleaned and lubed it functioned flawlessly. I refinished it, and now it looks and shoots very good.
    They are still being made, and new ones are $650 or more!
    I paid $175. I got a great deal on a classic. Just had to invest some elbow grease. :cool:

Dutch, EtherialOne and rando like this.

3. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have two of them in like new condition. I have seen a few others and beat up and most are missing the metal deflector on the side. Not sure why someone would remove them. Mine both are at least 40 years old but look new. The best thing about them are that they are semi auto and you can mix the ammo in the tube S, L , or LR and never jam. Not too many semi auto 22,s that can do that and cycle fine.

Dutch and EtherialOne like this.
  4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Big Dog I never knew that they started making them again. I cant remember the year mine were exactly made. I never knew they made them still. Never saw a new model

Dutch likes this.
  5. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

I like em too! Friend had one back around 70. Keeping my eye open for one at a show. Would rather have an older one myself.

Dutch likes this.
  6. I remember as a youngster back in the 70's seeing them in the LGS and in the remington brochures at the time and always really liked them but my budget called for a Glenfield 60 at the time. (can't tell how many bricks I'd put through it ... Tons of old Wildcat or cheaper with so much dry lube on some of it that you had to wipe the bullets off before you loaded the tube... shot it so much both the dog ears on the hammer eventually broke off, but still have it and a new hammer from numrich's to put in it when I get around to it)... They were always popular, but got a bit overshadowed when the nylon 66's came out touting being the first to have a fully synthetic stock.

Anyway I picked up one about 8 years ago used and finally scratched that itch! Shoots very well and feels right nice in the hand and having all the spent brass being in a neat little pile makes clean up at the range easy too! Definitely a unique rifle and a bit odd to fully disassemble though you usually don't need to. I also love that it will reliably shoot shorts, though it struggles with the CB variety.

7. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    This one was made 45 years ago.
    It still has the deflector. The wood could use some oil, and it needs some cleaning. Overall condition looks fine to my eye. No picture yet, but I'll get one after I get the kid to bed.

8. Hobbes

Hobbes G&G Enthusiast

Alabama
    Them are some fine shooting guns (and I'm Ruger guy) if u don't believe me U can ask some squirrels and rabbits in Etowah co Alabama from 1979-1981

Dutch likes this.
  9. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Pictures.
    20180516_221857.jpg 20180516_221921.jpg 20180516_221946.jpg

EtherialOne, Jaison and Hobbes like this.