Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 552 Speedmaster in reasonable condition today. I've never had one, and don't think I've ever had the pleasure to shoot one. They sure look neat though.

I'll pick it up tonight and clean it up some before taking it to the range. It doesn't look like it's ever been taken apart. Which is fine by me.

Who has one?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,881 Posts
I found a 552 Speedmaster in reasonable condition today. I've never had one, and don't think I've ever had the pleasure to shoot one. They sure look neat though.

I'll pick it up tonight and clean it up some before taking it to the range. It doesn't look like it's ever been taken apart. Which is fine by me.

Who has one?
A few years back I bought one from a local pawnshop. It was filthy, and wouldn't chamber a round. Found a very beat-up Winchester .22LR round stuck in the chamber!
Once cleared, cleaned and lubed it functioned flawlessly. I refinished it, and now it looks and shoots very good.
They are still being made, and new ones are $650 or more!
I paid $175. I got a great deal on a classic. Just had to invest some elbow grease. :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
I have two of them in like new condition. I have seen a few others and beat up and most are missing the metal deflector on the side. Not sure why someone would remove them. Mine both are at least 40 years old but look new. The best thing about them are that they are semi auto and you can mix the ammo in the tube S, L , or LR and never jam. Not too many semi auto 22,s that can do that and cycle fine.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
A few years back I bought one from a local pawnshop. It was filthy, and wouldn't chamber a round. Found a very beat-up Winchester .22LR round stuck in the chamber!
Once cleared, cleaned and lubed it functioned flawlessly. I refinished it, and now it looks and shoots very good.
They are still being made, and new ones are $650 or more!
I paid $175. I got a great deal on a classic. Just had to invest some elbow grease. :cool:
Big Dog I never knew that they started making them again. I cant remember the year mine were exactly made. I never knew they made them still. Never saw a new model

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I remember as a youngster back in the 70's seeing them in the LGS and in the remington brochures at the time and always really liked them but my budget called for a Glenfield 60 at the time. (can't tell how many bricks I'd put through it ... Tons of old Wildcat or cheaper with so much dry lube on some of it that you had to wipe the bullets off before you loaded the tube... shot it so much both the dog ears on the hammer eventually broke off, but still have it and a new hammer from numrich's to put in it when I get around to it)... They were always popular, but got a bit overshadowed when the nylon 66's came out touting being the first to have a fully synthetic stock.

Anyway I picked up one about 8 years ago used and finally scratched that itch! Shoots very well and feels right nice in the hand and having all the spent brass being in a neat little pile makes clean up at the range easy too! Definitely a unique rifle and a bit odd to fully disassemble though you usually don't need to. I also love that it will reliably shoot shorts, though it struggles with the CB variety.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one was made 45 years ago.
It still has the deflector. The wood could use some oil, and it needs some cleaning. Overall condition looks fine to my eye. No picture yet, but I'll get one after I get the kid to bed.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,769 Posts
This was my first rifle and the scourge of groundhogs at our farm when I was 12 or so.

It is a well made and well functioning gun. Can shoot short, long, or LR but I've seldom put anything through it except .22 LR.

I had wanted the Apache Black Nylon 66 but this wasn't obtainable so I got this rifle as a gift instead. Served me well through my life and I still have it. The only thing that's ever happened is the front sight got broken when it was dropped and I replaced it with a fiber optic hi-vis front sight. It'll hold a scope in the dovetail if you want one but I prefer irons.

It's not particularly hard to field/detail strip. You remove the screw below the forestock and the retaining screw around the mag tube and then can remove the barrel, bolt, and spring which part of the assembly goes around the mag tube. The charging/recoil spring assembly fits into the bolt via a detent on the left side and it's pretty straightforward and hard to screw up. You can detail clean the innards then if you want to. But you don't have to.

The receiver resembles the pump 760/7600 with the same type of crossbolt safety (my primary deer rifle in PA is usually the .270 win 7600).

I still enjoy shooting it from time to time but it's been overshadowed by my MP-15/22s which better suit my purpose.

Enjoy and looks like a great find.

My late Grandmother took this picture many years ago after some successful varminting at our place.

IMG_0242.JPG

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,881 Posts
You got the better deal. The 552 is a far better rifle than the Nylon 66. I have the 552 and two Nylon 66s. If I have to start selling rifles, the Nylons go long before the 552!

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
Wiki says Remington started churning out the model 552 in 1957 to present day.

Remington barrel mfg date chart.
https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/remington_barrel_date_code.html
My computer doesn't want to open that link for some reason. I get that error 404 message in the browser window. (or something like that)

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Sure is one of the nicer models of .22 you can own. Look and feel quality. Guys got me wanting one even though I am a bolt magnum fan.
I like my Bolt actions also. I have like 4 Marlin 22 magnums. I have a crap load of semi auto;s but the speedmaster is my favorite of the semiautos

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,287 Posts
I’ve passed on a couple used speed masters mainly because my interest in .22’s goes up and down. They are very nice and sometimes wish I’d pulled the proverbial trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

1 - 20 of 20 Posts