597, 522 Any good?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Mar 15, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I have a Ruger 10-22, but have been looking at the Remington 522 and 597 in .22 LR and WMR for recommendation to others, particularly for kids' first guns. I love the look of the 522 Viper and magazine, anyone know why they discontinued it? It feels a little small and awkward on me, but I figured a younger person might like it much better.
    And the 597 looks pretty nice, especially with the built in scope rail (come to think of it, both have one). Sadly, we can't hunt with semi-autos in PA, but that doesn't stop us from appreciating good rifles.

2. 597M

I just bought a 597M. Highly recommend one. It is very accurate (for a semi). It is a beauty to look at, not to mention a good price.

3. Strongman

Strongman G&G Newbie

I have a 597 LS HB on order at my local shop. It is a heavy barrel gun with a laminated stock, NICE looking rifle, for only $288.00 OUT THE DOOR!!!!
    I just want to know if anyone has one of these so I can find out how well it shoots.
    My shooting buddy has a Ruger 10/22 with a lightwieght stock and a carbon-fiber barrel, it shoots less than a 1 inch group at 100 yards through a scope indoors.
    I'm pretty confident that the Remington should shoot anout 3/4 inch groups or maybe less. If so I'll have about $200 LESS in my "box stock" remington.
    By the way the Ruger equivelent 10/22 Target model sells for an extra $200.00 over the price of the Remington LS HB.

4. EddieGunnZ

EddieGunnZ G&G Newbie

I just bought a Remington model 597 @ Wal-Mart yesterday. 139.87 plus tax. I love the look of the 597. I was going to get the Savage model X. It was $96.99. But, the 597 was calling my name...hehehe. I'll tell you guys how it shoots later today. I will probably put a Tasco Red Dot Scope on it. They run about $30. Then I might not.

PS this is off the subject but are there any motorcycle race fans here? If so, are you going to the BIG KAHUNA Nationals @ Road Atlanta this year. It's May 17-18-19 ( for those concern)

EddieGunnz:target:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2002
  5. Strongman

Strongman G&G Newbie

I took the new gun out twice so far and it hasn't given me any accuracy problems. I can shoot less than a half inch at 50yds.
    The only problem is the POS Magnesium magazine, it doesn't come apart so it can't be cleaned. It jams every time I put in more than six rounds, all I can do is put more oil in and pray for the best...
    I'm going to write Remington this week sometime and make them send me another magazine(or two) because if they don't then they will get the rifle back.
    It is actually embarrasing to have a gun this nice that won't feed six rounds in a row from the same magazine.
    Oh yeah, don't even try to shoot the cheapo federals, all gold not the red box.. I bought federal gold match rounds, and PMI match grade and the only diference was the trajectory. I put the Remington bulk stuff in and the same size group simply moved upwards on the target by .75" at 25yds. That was indoor on a rest through a pretty decent Bushnell scope.
    Word of advice, when you get the new rifle TIGHTEN DOWN THE SCOPE RAIL. Mine came installed from the factory and came loose after about 500 rounds.

6. EddieGunnZ

EddieGunnZ G&G Newbie

Took the little 597 to the indoor range today (raining). So i was limited to 25yrds. The iron sights are adjusted to hit at 100yrds. So without any adjustments it shot high but grouped real nice. All shots where without a rest and on average was a little smaller then a quarter. Some were larger though not by much.

7. mamandoli

mamandoli G&G Newbie

mags jam all the time

Hi I'm new to this forum!
    I bought a 597 about a year and a half ago.
    My first problem was that the magazines would
    jam constantly. The followers for the magazines were dark red.
    After I sent my rifle in to Remington It came back with no problems found with the rifle but they exchanged my magazines for ones with a flourescent follower. That orange type of color.
    Well, same problems. I have 6 magazines and they all jam at one time or another. I find that I can hardly get off 3 -5 shots with hollow points before I get at jam. I tried the Thunderbolt and they worked better but still they jammed. I just bought a magazine at Wal-Mart that's metal. Looks like aluminum. I haven't tried it yet. If it works any better I will expect an exchange for my faulty mags. Remington has to belive that they have a problem with the 597 mags. The 597 shoots great when it's not jammed. Iron sights or scope. Great accuracy.
    I'm going to keep after Remington until they solve this problem.
    I believe they will. They are a great company to deal with.
    :assult:

8. mamandoli

mamandoli G&G Newbie

Hay Battle Rifle,
    Buy a ruger 10/22 for sure. I purchaced 2. One for each of my sons. Wood stock, blue barrel. No jams like the 597. Shoots well.
    I'm sorry so far that I pruchaced a 597. Nothing but problems.
    I also like the easy takedown of the 10/22. Easier to clean.
    My sons are 11 and 13. I don't think that my 11 year old could take apart a 597 as well as the ruger 10/22. Also there is more aftermarket mags, stocks, brakes, grips etc... for the Ruger.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2002
  9. BattleRifleG3

Well, I happen to already have a Ruger 10-22... And any friends I was thinking of helping find a rifle have already decided on the Ruger. The 522 still looks neat...

10. EddieGunnZ

EddieGunnZ G&G Newbie

Sorry mamandoli that you have had nothing but problems with your 597. I just got mine and I love it. I've put almost 500 rounds of Remington golden bullet (You know, the cheap stuff. $8.86 for a box of 550 rounds) through it without cleaning it and not one jam. I did have a one problem though. The bolt failed to lock open on the last round once. I think I had put about 375 rounds through it at the time. I'm going to shoot the remaining of that box and then I'm going to clean it. I really like the 10/22 also infact that's going to be my next 22LR purchase.

Rollin'
    EddieGunnZ

11. mamandoli

mamandoli G&G Newbie

Hi yall,
    I just got off the phone and Remington said that they would replace my plastic mags that I have been having problem with with the new metal ones. No Charge!! Right On Remington.
    I have had nothing but great service from Remington.
    I hope that these work better. Hay Eddie. Are all your
    rounds being shot from metal or plastic.
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2002
  12. JohnD

JohnD Member

The bolt handle is plastic so I got a 10/22. The gun shop owner said that the ones he sold were all pieces of crap and will not sell any more and is sending the rest back to were they came from. Oh well at least he was honest.

13. Strongman

Strongman G&G Newbie

Plastic bolt handle? I don't know what kind of rifle you looked at but MY 597 LS HB has an anodized aluminum bolt handle and a chrome plated bolt, from the factory.......
    If you want to jump on the bandwagon and run out for a 10/22 then go right ahead. My 597 shoots great, sure it jams from time to time but what 22 auto-loader doesn't? I know my buddies 10/22 sure as hell does as much if not more than mine.
    I don't get the whole 10/22 thing. "Oh the Ruger is awesome, you buy this, this, this, and this and it shoots one inch at a 100 yds..." My Remington does it out of the box and I only put a scope on it. I payed $249 plus tax and it is a heavy barreled, laminated stocked, no iron sighted rifle that comes with a factory installed scope rail. My little 597 shoots one inch out of the box. It costs $600 to do that with a Ruger.:assult:

14. BattleRifleG3

My 10/22 used to jam, but after plenty of use and cleaning, it jams no more. Remingtons seem to be a mixed batch, I guess. What I really wanna know about is the 522 Viper.

15. t1yojo

t1yojo G&G Newbie

522 viper

hay it is a little late but if you are still interested in the 522 viper i have one it is an ok gun but you have to really keep the clip clean or the clip wont feed right or it will cause the gun to jam it is a pain in the a** i have to take 4 or 5 clips with me to the range to shoot 200 - 500 rounds and i use the expensive cooper jacketed round as to keep the lead from stopping up the clip so much also when cleaning you have to clean the action thoroughly making sure that you clean the firing pin and the carrier very well
    any more questions feel free to ask

16. iareConfusE

iareConfusE G&G Newbie

Hey guys, I was also looking at the 597's, and I saw some on Impactguns.com, however there is a bit of a discrepancy that I would like cleared up.

The first one is $383, but the second one is $186 and comes with a scope... What is the difference between those two?.. Why is the price difference so great?

Remington 597 22Mag, Blued, Synthetic, 8rd

REM 6513 597 SYN 22LR W/3-9X32 SCOPE

Thanks for any help guys.

17. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

The only difference is the caliber of each gun.

The more expensive one fires a .22mag, while the cheaper one fires a .22LR (Long Rifle)

Here is info on the .22Mag: .22 WMR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the .22LR: .22 Long Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a picture comparing the .22 Long to the .22LR to the .22Mag: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/22_Long%2C_22_LR%2C_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG
    Note that only a .22long gun should fire a .22long, only a .22LR rifle should fire the .22LR, and only a .22Mag rifle can fire a .22Mag.

The .22mag is better for shooting slightly larger varmints (coyote and fox), and has about 50 yards more of effective range over the .22LR.

The .22mag also costs a lot more to shoot. If you're just looking to shoot targets, and animals that are fox size and smaller, then the .22LR is really the way to go.

The 597's are great rifles, especially now since they've worked the magazine issues out of them :D

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: I own a lot of firearms, and my Remington 597 .22LR is my favorite one.

18. iareConfusE

iareConfusE G&G Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up Bravo. At first I thought that bullet types didn't matter as long as they were of the same caliber, but now I learned otherwise :D

19. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

No problem :D

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions about the rifle or other bullet cartridges :)

20. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

522 problems

I have a 522 Viper. It was a great gun til one day i took it apart to clean and couldnt get it go back together right. It looks like its together right but will not stay cocked when I pull the bolt back. I looked it over and cant find any parts missing or bent. I've had the gun apart several times before and never had any issues with it. Has anyone else had problems with this model? As soon as i get it shooting again its for sale. I'll just keep shooting my speedmaster and my 760 (both of which i have never had any trouble with). As far as accuracy and reliability of the Viper i give it good reviews. It always shot good and rarely jammed. Never had any problems with the magazines jamming and it functions with just about whatever you want to feed it. I sent Remington an email. Hopefully they'll tell me what i did wrong and how to fix it.