close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

5mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jarcp, Apr 5, 2002.

1. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Has anyone heard of this round? How obscure is it?

2. 30-06man

30-06man G&G Newbie

It came out in 1970 by remington. I here its like a 17hmr and a 22mag. It was years ahead of its time. I wish i had one. But the ammo is hard to find and expensive not to mention its all about 25 years old. Many are hoping someone will come back out with one.

3. I have one but don't use it as the complete box of ammo I have is almost worth as much as the rifle.

DANA

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Once in a blue moon, ammo shows up - I think either CCI or Aguila has made small batches.
    Google up the '5mm Craig', it's a centerfire version that requires a modified bolt - the company that supplies the brass also does the bolt mod. Then you can reload for the rifles.
    It is said to be an accurate round and rifle - but it just didn't sell.

5. Arkiemike

Arkiemike G&G Regular

+1 on the cost of ammo. The last full box of Remington ammo I had (bought at an estate sale) sold for $70 to a guy at a gun show who had TWO of the rifles. He probably got a bargain, but it paid for my table and meals.

6. Zen900

Zen900 G&G Newbie

Is this the same as 17 Reminton?

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Nope, this is a rimfire round, like the .22 WMR only smaller diameter - about .20 caliber.

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I had the 5mm in a 10" Contender Barrel, which I sold all the ammo with when I sold the Contender and 16 Barrels to buy my land with. Ammo is 50.00 a box at the last gun show...1.00 a shot...Yikes and i gave the guy 4 boxes !
    Rich

9. Now you have me thinking? Change or leave it alone.

DANA