Mossberg 5ooC

Discussion in 'Mossberg' started by jim417, Mar 23, 2014.

1. I just picked up a 500C 20 gauge. I can't find a serial number anywhere. I am assuming it is older. The wood is in great condition, but the bluing is almost all gone. A little bit of stick when racking the next round, but looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a while. Any idea if the newer 500C parts will work on the older models if I need anything replaced?

2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

3. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Evangelist

to my knowledge the only part that might not be interchangeable would be the action slide/tube assembly some of the old models only had one slide the new ones have two.

4. I use an ultrasonic cleaner for stuff like that. A simple soak in solvent and work it over with an old toothbrush will do wonders.

5. OldTimer

OldTimer G&G Addict

Older thread, and I don't see resolution. So FWIW...

IDK about the age of your rattle-trap but I'm sure that Moss'y changed some things in the bolt assemblies and trigger groups over the years. I'm thinking new parts don't play well with old parts in those areas. Try contacting Mossberg, and see what information they have to offer.

IME, they have been good to deal with, personally. When they were still in No. Haven, CT I drove down to the factory a couple of times, to resolve a broken safety (plastic, replaced with metal), and to purchase a rifled tube with Williams "Firesights". They're in Texas, now. I hope their customer service remains strong.

neophyte and chesterwin like this.
  6. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Fun learning :)

http://www.buckmasters.com/part-i-m...a-monument-to-american-gun-dependability.aspx

-- In 1961, O.F. Mossberg & Sons introduced the Model 500, a groundbreaking, new pump shotgun design. Like many of the great American firearms such as the Winchester lever-action rifle, Colt Peacemaker revolver and Model 700 Remington bolt-action rifle, the Mossberg Model 500 shotgun is an "everyman's gun," which has sold in the millions in an extensive variety of formats.

Within two years, the Model 500 series was offered in 12-, 16- and 20-gauge models. Mossberg adopted the 500A, 500B and 500C classifications to keep things straight. Ventilated rib barrels and checkering on the pistol grip and fore-end were offered in 12- and 20-gauge in 1965. A plain 18 1/2-inch cylinder bore barrel was fitted to the 500A for police use and not advertised in sporting catalogs. This was the first product in what became an impressive law enforcement and military series of designs. A Model 500E .410 shotgun was also introduced.