Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
I have a slightly different take on this. If you are shooting at paper, do whatever floats your boat. If you are actually hunting.....deer, elk, whatever, then learn to hunt. Anyone trying to kill an animal at 800 yards (goats may be exempt) then you are not really hunting at all. You are a sniping at long range, usually with bad results. This is the primary reason that I have never hunted from a blind. It is simply my opinion that being 20 feet above a deer trail is an ambush....no hunting skill required. I know other may have a completely different opinion, and is ok by me. For me, that type of hunting just sucks the fun out of the experience. No braggin rights there.
No big game should be targeted at 800 yards.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I don't doubt what you are saying, but I do wonder about the context of the shooters relaying the information to you.

1. I'd be curious about bullet weight. A lot of the long range guys like these light, fast bullets. I wonder if they are using an appropriate bullet weight for hunting, or one that is appropriate to a fun range day.
I say that because, ballistically, the 6.5 Creedmoor is similar to the 6.5 Swede, with one notable exception - the Swede standard load was a heavier bullet (hunting loads were up to 160 grain, whereas 143 grain is the heaviest I have seen through my shop for the Creedmoor). We know historically that the 6.5 is one of the "Big Five" cartridges, meaning it was considered effective on elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion and leopard.

2. What ranges are we talking about? I hear a lot of people talking about hunting in Montana and surrounding states, and some of the long shots available to hunters. Are these people going beyond the terminal window for their cartridge?
My only hunting has been in Alabama, and around here no one wants to amble a quarter mile or more across the countryside to get a kill unless they are young and stupid. That is the reason long range cartridges sort of baffle me in terms of hunting in this area. Most deer can be gotten within bow range, and almost all are within 30-30 range.
I wonder if these guys are thinking they have a long range cartridge, and they want to tell the story about getting a buck at extreme range, rather than being intelligent and getting a guaranteed kill.
Exactly, I used to have 3 of the Swede surplus Rifles and studied a bit about the 6.5x55 Swedes use as a hunting cartridge there.
I think the problem is little to no knowledge of the appropriate bullet weight and construction. And these long range shooting and hunting fantasies entertained but never any effort put forth in real life for a combination of stalking skills plus shooting under realistic field conditions before the hunt!

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Everyone likes to always talk about how the Swedes hunt Moose with the 6.5x55. It's the minimum cartridge allowed and there is like one or two factory loadings that you can use for it. Nothing under 140gr is allowed. Also shots are usually 100 meters or less.
I am not knocking the caliber as it's one of my favorite that I own.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts