6.5 grendel vs6.8 spc

Discussion in 'AR15' started by cooker300, Sep 25, 2020.

1. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

ok folks which is the better caliber better to build.

and will both run out of a AR 15 lower with the right buffer tube

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

What are your plans on usage? Target or Hunting!
    The Grendel is a better choice for Target or Longer range type shooting. The SPC II would be my choice for Hunting.
    Yes, Both are AR-15 platforms. I use Rifle length buffer's on all my AR's, but I'm sure they will work on Carbine length buffer's also.
    If you are going to build the upper, I suggest buying a premium barrel. I use a White Oak Armory barrel on my 6.8 SPC II, and it shoots sub moa when I do my part. I personally would stay away from AR Performance barrels. I have 3 of them in 223 Wylde, 6.5x6.8, and 6.8 SPC II, and I'm not impressed at all with the performance of them.
    I would also buy at least one spare bolt for either cartridge. They are known to break, I even broke one of the ARP "Super" bolts on my 6.5x6.8 rifle.
    [​IMG]

This is the 6.8 that I built-
    [​IMG]

TXplt, BigEd63 and Huey Rider like this.

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

No difference in the buffer tubes for a AR in 6.5 Grendel or in 6.8 SPC. If you are going to hand load you'll probably find more good bullet choices for the Grendel than you will for the SPC. Both though will offer a very efficient low recoiling caliber for target shooting and hunting small to medium sized game.

TXplt likes this.
  4. ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs G&G Regular

US
    6.8 for hunting for sure . 6.5 is slower under 350 yards with factory and you are stuck with close to factory velocity with reloads . Also 6.8 optimal barrel is 16" and with 6.5 it does best. With 20" or longer . Not going to knock wo barrel because they are good but AR performance are my favorite and most accurate for me . No matter which you chose cavity back bullets makes a 105 grain that is the best hunting bullets available in either .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

5. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    closer range, 6.8, longer range, 6.5. in my observations, 6.5 grendel is pretty commonly found whereas 6.8 isnt as easy to find, locally. i think that the 6.5 has caught on more, at least with the civi market, military/leo maybe moreso the 6.8.

isnt the 6.5 faster than the 6.8 at virtually any range, with standard loads and barrel lenghts?

personally i considered the 6.8 briefly, but at this stage, I would go with a 6.5.

I really want to build a dmr/spr style rifle in 6.5 grendel II. 18" barrel.

6. ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs G&G Regular

US
    We have owned both . My buddy and I purchased a 16" 6.8 spec 2 and 18" 6.5g together . The 16" was faster with same weight bullets and the small bc advantage the 6.5 has only makes a difference after 3-4 hundred yards . The 6.5 has a lot more meat cut out of the bolt and doesn't allow much more pressure than factory where as the factory 6.8 is loaded mild because there are earlier 6.8 s out there with short leads that can't be loaded long or fast . Available ammo depends on area , the 6.8 is as plentiful in our area. Anyone who says the 6.5 has more loading options has not actually researched it . I kept the 6.8 my buddy played with the 6.5 for a while two broken bolts and several ruined cases later he came to the same conclusion I had . 6.5 fan boys will say ," Hey my 18" 6.5 is as fast as your 12.5" 6.8 " to which I say " That's my point " . I will admit that no deer will be able to tell which caliber Hornady SST or cavity back bullet just killed it . Both are great deer guns , the 6.8 just does it with shorter barrels .

rando and MosinRuger like this.
  7. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Just food for thought...
    The 6.8 is the basis for the .30 HRT which is nothing more than a rimless .30 Herrett. The .30 Herrett was designed for use in 10" Contender barrels so it's no surprise the 6.8 works in short barrels.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  8. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

Reloading bullets will be easy to find for both rounds. You can’t go wrong either way.

Learning about the 6.8’s short barrel abilities may sway me to that side. Plus, I found out that A1680 is able to be used for it. I have a good amount of that...

9. ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs G&G Regular

US
    Join the 6.8 fourom and you will get a wealth of information . Also check out AR performance page . H, the owner, designed the performance chamber . In the . 223 world you have a . 223 w which is a chamber right between . 223 and 5.56 and I'd good with both loadings . The 6.8 performance is between a old 6.8spc chamber and a 6.8 spc2 chamber and shoots both the weak and hot loaded longer loads well .

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

Harrison is an idiot. He sure has a following, but after owning 3 of his poor performing barrel's and letting him know about it, you couldn't give me any of his stuff.
    Sure is funny that he pushed his SIX5 wonder on everyone. It's a 6.8 SPC II case shortened .060" and necked down to a 6.5mm bullet.
    I built two of them. I can't tell you how many cases I threw away after using his suggested load data trying to get an accurate load out of them. Pressure was off the charts 2-3 grains before anything he was advising.
    After several people openly complained to him about the issues we all had with the SIX5, he tried to blame us for how we load the cartridge. Then all of a sudden, he stopped selling it, and started pushing another one of his creations.

No more AR Performance crap for me. I know better, and will always buy premium custom barrels from now on.

11. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

For the new large and in charge~ How did I get a like on this thread when I haven't posted on it before now?

Now I go back and it's gone from the like list.

12. ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs G&G Regular

US
    His following is because of the very good 6.8 barrels and bolts he provides . I will admit it was a mistake for him to try to get more out of the 6.5 grendel cartridge . He learned , as most has , that factory loads and pressure is about the limits for the 6.5 grendel because of cut back bolt head and case . He has moved on and put his energy towards improvement of the 6.8 . What H learned is no matter how hard you try "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear .

13. ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs G&G Regular

US
    I'm pretty sure your "isn't the 6.5 faster" question / statement has been answered but in case it hasn't . No it isn't . The 6.8 is approx 200 fps faster and you will need a 18" 6.5 to equal a 12" 6.8 in velosisity . Both have enimic factory loads but with 6.8 you can improve greatly , not so 6.5 , with it you are not going to be able to get much more velosisity than factory .

14. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

Discounting the current "pandemic hoarding", I have seen very few 6.8 SPC on the shelves. I have seen a lot of 6.5 Grendel. That is in the Maine area and I don't know if other areas see something different.
    So, take that with a healthy dose of your own judgment.

rando, MosinRuger and austinjoe13 like this.
  15. MosinRuger

Colorado
    I disagree, also i specifically stated " in standard loads". just a quick google search shows that most 6.5 gren is "faster" than 6.8. of course that is using like 24" barrels, but still.

I think you already alluded this point in mentioning barrel lenghts, but there is a lot that goes into "faster":
    barrel length
    distance
    bullet weight
    SD
    BC
    etc..

in my opinion, 6.5 is better for longer range, and 6.8 is better for closer to medium ranges.

both are better than .223 in terms of ballistics, but .223/5.56 trumps in every other category; cost, size, weight, recoil, availability(except during a pandemic!).

from an availability point of view, i rarely see 6.8 on the shelves, but i see quite 6.5 frequently.

(I dont care if you can reload 6.8 all day every day for $.0 whatever, I like most dont/ cant reload and must buy factory ammo)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    EtherialOne likes this.
  16. ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs G&G Regular

US
    I agree , if you want to carry a 24" barrel gun instead of 16" you don't reload and you are in a commie state and can't order ammo and have to pick up ammo locally and you are interested in shooting past effective hunting range then the 6.5 is your best option .

17. MosinRuger

Colorado
    passiveagressive much?

sorry we disagree, I'm not the only one out there that prefers 6.5 or 6.8.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  18. ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs G&G Regular

US
    Not passive agressive , I was serious about it . I agree that under certain perimeters the 6.5 is actually more sensible for some people . I even gave several instances in which I feel it would be the best choice .

MosinRuger likes this.
  19. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I bought an upper from Stag Arms about six years ago in 6.8 SPC. I never owned the 6.5 . Would make no sense having both for me. I cant argue any difference and so forth. I like the 6.8 SPC and was something different for me at the time because I have other calibers in the AR15 platform. I stocked up with ammo years ago for mine. Most is Sellier & Bellot ammo and have alot of Remington also. I never hunted with mine and scoped it and shoot it at outdoor ranges.

MosinRuger likes this.
  20. If a short barrel is your qualifier, go 300 BLK
    I love the 6.5 Grendel, myself.
    Prefer it in my contender but shoot it in my AR too.
    You can't go wrong with 6.5G, 6.8 SPC... but consider the 7 Raptor.
    https://www.raptorshootingsystems.com/the-7mm-raptor/
    That'll turn some heads!