6.5 Jap ammo?

Discussion in 'Japanese Firearms' started by rondog, Oct 16, 2012.

1. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

I'm discussing the possibility of buying a Type 38 rifle from a feller, and am wondering about ammo. Is it available? Any surplus out there? Any issues with reloading it?

2. tjbriggs

tjbriggs G&G Newbie

Found hornady 6.5 for $23 a box of 20 at cabelas, Norma ammo is about $40 a box, Grafs.com sells is but they are out of stock on all 6.5jap.

I did a little researching and there is no surplus ammo, it's believed the Japanese dumped their ammunition into the ocean after the war. Other sources state 6.5 can be had normally at $30 a box.

As for reloading I've found that hornady use to make brass, couldn't find any on their website so they may have stopped. Another way to go about reloading is cutting down brass, from a .303, .220 swift or a .35 remington. Apparently the .220 is the easiest to work with, but a guy who cuts .220 to 6.5 broke a LEE challenger press, he recommended a strong press. But there are dies and loading components for the 6.5 jap, only brass I've found is from Buffaloarms, and its 1.44-1.88 per case.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

It does, thank you! If I do get this 38, I probably won't shoot it much anyway. Will more likely be a wallhanger. Certainly nothing I'd want to build a Doomsday Stash for.

4. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I bought ammo for my type 38 off a guy on GB they were relaods which I know everyone freaks out about buying reloads but I took them tooo my buddies house we pulled the bullets and checked everything out and found that they were what the guy said they would be and I later fired them in my rifle. They worked great. One thing about the Jap rifles is that they often cut the chambers really big so that the weapons would still fire if the brass was tarnished or had swollen from the jungle conditions so when you fire your weapon the brass may have a small budge around the base makeing them hard to reload

6.5 Jap 6.5X50 Arisaka Ammo New. Reloadable. : Rifle Ammunition at GunBroker.com

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. tjbriggs

tjbriggs G&G Newbie

It's always something you could trade for goods after Doomsday! And don't worry, I bought an enfield no.1 MKIII not knowing there weren't any surplus and rounds costing $1 each. Now I'm thinking about trading it for a yugo mauser 24 47 and reloading that since they're suppose to be superior to enfields.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted