Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a 6.5 PRC yet and want to share their views about it? I'm in an off-center mindset and willing to try something new and interesting, and am attracted to its long-range possibilities. Of course, there are existing cartridges that can match and exceed it, no doubt, but I suppose most every cartridge can be compared in that light. Anyway, real-world performance (as opposed to Hornady's marketing hype) is what I'm really interested in, particularly if I let this whimsical state of mind result in a purchase. So if you have some real-world perspectives regarding the 6.5 PRC to share, particularly in a hunting scenario, please do. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
A buddy of mine picked one up this Spring. He is a co-owner of a LGS, a Marine who was in the Sandbox (Iraq and Afghanistan) and has been shooting his entire life.

He likes the round quite a bit for distance and has told me several times that he expects it to gain traction as a competition as well as hunting round.

I’ve shot it at the range, but didn’t do it any justice.

If you’d like, I’d be happy to ask him for details as to why he chose the 6.5 PRC over other rounds available.

·
<------------<<<-
3,987 Posts
I have a customer who has one and is about ready to give it up. He's been loading for it, and every load has been really dirty. His words, not mine. Our standards could be very different. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a hunt.

Reactions: jerry

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A buddy of mine picked one up this Spring. He is a co-owner of a LGS, a Marine who was in the Sandbox (Iraq and Afghanistan) and has been shooting his entire life.

He likes the round quite a bit for distance and has told me several times that he expects it to gain traction as a competition as well as hunting round.

I’ve shot it at the range, but didn’t do it any justice.

If you’d like, I’d be happy to ask him for details as to why he chose the 6.5 PRC over other rounds available.
Thanks Jaison, and yes, if you can relay perspectives re: your friend's 6.5 PRC that would be great.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a customer who has one and is about ready to give it up. He's been loading for it, and every load has been really dirty. His words, not mine. Our standards could be very different. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a hunt.
Hi Austin: Thanks for responding, but I'm not 100% sure what a dirty load means. I know some ammo is "dirtier" than others (for example, Wolf has a reputation, or even Winchester white box for that matter), but if he is making his own loads then that would seem to be a controllable issue. Unless.... is your customer saying the cartridge size/shape is the reason he's experiencing dirty ammo?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
here is how I evaluate something.
weight-speed.

the 6.5 lives on BC [bullet shape and length] to maintain enough velocity to stay above the speed of sound over distance.
other rounds rely on weight-speed too [224 valkery, 190-200gr 308, 338 LaPua etc]
the rest is just trajectory dial ups and wind shear.
does the PRC exceed the 264 win mag?
the 6.5-06 or 6.5x55 or 57 or 284 etc.
well there is your weight speed comparison.
if it don't, then it ain't necessary.
unless you NEED one of those rounds in an AR type rifle for some odd reason.

BTW have you ever looked at the trajectory of the 338 LaPua?
it should be ashamed of itself, but it stays pointing forwards the whole way there.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,511 Posts
"Dirty ammo" could be anything using Unique powder, aka "Flammable Dirt". It makes Russian surplus ammo look clean.

Reactions: ChaZam and jwrauch

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
"Dirty ammo" could be anything using Unique powder, aka "Flammable Dirt". It makes Russian surplus ammo look clean.
Until you get it closer to max charges and build the pressure up where it gets a "cleaner" burn. It's still somewhat dirtier than other powders but when I used it at max charge it was much cleaner.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update: Went for it. Sauer 100 in 6.5 PRC. Mounted a Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44. Some guns give you a good feeling when you hold them, know what I mean? This is one of them. Just feels.... right. Should be able to get some range time with it next week to see if that feeling translates into performance. But first the real work, finding ammo and brass!

·
<------------<<<-
3,987 Posts
Quick update: Went for it. Sauer 100 in 6.5 PRC. Mounted a Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44. Some guns give you a good feeling when you hold them, know what I mean? This is one of them. Just feels.... right. Should be able to get some range time with it next week to see if that feeling translates into performance. But first the real work, finding ammo and brass!
I have that scope on my 243. You'll love it. Those Sauers seem to be nice rifles, too.

Reactions: ChaZam and Jaison

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmore, and 6.5 PRC.

It took me a while to figure out what each of them were, in relation to each other. Now that I understand them, I think the 6.5 PRC is going to be a great Montana or Wyoming "game getter." I don't think I would be using it in TN, because we don't have many places where the distance over flat ground would need it.

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmore, and 6.5 PRC.

It took me a while to figure out what each of them were, in relation to each other. Now that I understand them, I think the 6.5 PRC is going to be a great Montana or Wyoming "game getter." I don't think I would be using it in TN, because we don't have many places where the distance over flat ground would need it.
Got a good friend here locally that has a 6.5 PRC. Like you, we’re blocked in by forest and the Appalachians. He literally can shoot ridge to ridge.

He can also knock the snot out of a 6” plate at 1,300 yards at a distance range he goes to. It’s quite a round.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Hornady makes it you can get a box of 20 for like 39.99 it comes with their 147gr a-max or whatever name they are putting on it.

I have since this thread looked at the PRC a bit more.
I almost laid down the coin for a rifle in this caliber.
the ballistics for the PRC versus the creedmore are kind of night and day different as far as how the round should shoot over distance.
the same weight bullets only launched 250 fps faster makes quite a difference.

had the PRC rifle and the creedmore rifle been the same price I might have persuaded myself to pick it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts