close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

6.5 x 257 conversion on an Arisaka

Discussion in 'Japanese Firearms' started by Junction15, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

I'm looking for some info on an Arisaka conversion that my son just bought.
    (My son didn't say what he paid but it wasn't much)
    It has been stamped 6.5 x .257 on the barrel (added to the original markings). He was told it was converted from the original chambering and that the previous owners simply used 257 Roberts cartridges in it. Apparently those are supposed to be fireformed and then loaded with 6.5 bullets but the previous owner didn't bother and used 257 Roberts cartridges only.

Actually the rifle looks like it's in good shape but it has obviously been converted and sporterized = by a semi professional I think. The cartridges will not feed from the left side of the magazine but work fine from the right. (He was given 3 cartridges with it so he tried the function but didn't shoot it yet)

So I'm hoping someone has some info on it and how to go about loading cartridges? Or if the thing should even be considered safe to shoot?

2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A 257 Roberts and 6.5X57 are close, but NOT identical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now a 6X257?????

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

3. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

A 6x57 is a 6mm Remington. But the 6.5x57 was a common rechamber for the 6.5x50

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

the 6.5X.257 Roberts came about because returning GI's wanted to shoot their soviener Arisaka's. since no ammo was avalible, some one had the idea to neck up the Robert to 6.5mm. a fair number were converted.

i would say have a gunsmith check it out, then invest in some reloading stuff, or if you know a friendly reloader perhaps he may help you get started showing you how its done. bring a long some dies, powder, bullets, cases and primers.

5. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I have 2 Bubbaed Arisaka carbines that have been re chambered to I don't know what. when I got each one (Gunbroker) I was under the impression that they were in the original chambering. upon fireing I saw they werent! I measured the fire formed cases and thought they were re chambered to 6.5 Swede. I bought some Swede ammo and it is close but the bolt won't close. then I heard about Arasakis being re chambered to 6.5x57. again the measurements were close but the bolts wont close. now I have another cartridge (6.5x.257) to try! one of these days I will find out what these sweet little rifles will shoot. this has been bugging me for a while. there are no gunsmiths around here that will do a chamber cast and I don't trust my measuring abilities enough to do it myself. one of these rifles was really well sporterized and looks great. both would make great deer & hog guns but as of now, they are just safe queens.

6. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

This rifle was specifically marked 6.5 x .257 (even down to the decimal points) Not 6.5 x 57. And it is 257 Roberts cartridges the previous owner was firing in it. I have to wonder about the accuracy but nothing was told to me about it.

I should clarify: I have been reloading since 1978 in many calibers. So, I don't mean to sound smug in this, but I was wondering more about load data for the cartridge rather than how to reload or how to fire form cases.

And I was wondering if the rifle should even be considered as safe to fire. That is: what sort of success rate did they have in converting those? It does look pretty well made and seems sound. I can do MPI on it but I don't plan to remove the barrel unless I really need to. And if I did that I would re-barrel to a "proper caliber" anyway.

So really I was mostly curious if anyone had had any experience with such a rifle and what they could tell me.

7. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

the type 38 Arasaka action was found to be the strongest military action of WWII in tests done by our Gov't after the war. Jap rifles got a bad rap from their "last ditch" rifles with cast recievers.
    as far as the 6.5x.257 or the 6.5x57, I was under the impression that the .257 Roberts used the 7x57 Mauser as a parent cartridge. and the 6.5x57 also uses the 7x57 as its parent. if thats the case. I wonder if the 6.5x57 and the 6.5x.257 are the same cartridge with different wildcat names. if so you may be able to find loading data that way.

8. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

blaster is smack on here, the 6.5x257 is none other than the 6.5x57. Now the next question is it a 6.5x250-3000 savage? Really a chamber cast needs done as you are just farting in a windstorm without it.

It doesnt have to be pretty, rough numbers will get you close enough.

9. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

10. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Evangelist

FWIW, own a couple of type 38 arisakas that's been rechambered to 6.5x257R. I neck resize my 257R brass to 6.5, using my 6.5x55 Swede resizing die. But, obviously there is a difference in the chambers of my Arisakas. For my neck resized 257R brass to work in the second Arisaka I purchased years ago, discovered I needed to shorten the neck about a little more than a 1/16 of an inch. Reloads for my first Arisaka will not chamber in my 2nd Arisaka unless I use brass I've shortened.

11. MARINE SGTMAJ

MARINE SGTMAJ G&G Newbie

I have a type 38 which was professionally customized many years ago (50's). It was re-chambered for the .257 Ackley Improved case with the 6.5 barrel. This is known as the .260 AAR and there is loading data available for it. I have had great success with the 6.5 140gr boat tail bullet. Am looking for a way to convert the safety which is hard to operate when the rifle is equipped with a scope.

12. olgeorge

olgeorge G&G Newbie

Huffmanite: I know this post is old, but I'm new here and just found this forum by accident. I recently rented a 6.5x.257 reamer from Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals. I used it by hand to deepen a chamber using type F automatic transmission fluid as a cutting fluid. Rental was around $30. I also rented headspace gages form them since the chamber had to be deepened about 1/4". (It was taken off a bolt action rifle and installed on a single shot). You could do the same and deepen the short-necked chamber to eliminate having to shorten the cases. It would be worth the trouble just to do away with the hassle, and would be easy to do since you'd just be working on the neck area. Send me a PM or email if you'd like any further info. L. O. G.