Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these 2 are pretty close cousins but which would you choose as a whitetail deer gun and why?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I really don't think it matters. Both would do fine on whitetails. But, if I had to pick I would go with the .308. It would likely have an advantage on available ammo choices and has better potential on animals larger than whitetails if you ever choose that route. The 7-08 should have less recoil, but the .308 s not bad there either. The .308 would get you more respect around deer camp - some sadistic recoil loving heathens shooting .300 win mags (me :34:) may consider the 7-08 to be a little whimpy woman's gun. Of course you could always point out that you made the smart choice and yours will kill a dear just as dead without all the pain - and you would be right! :) Either is a good choice!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome to G&G. I don't think a deer would really know the difference between the two. The 7mm-08 will offer a faster moving bullet with less recoil. The .308 will offer a heavier, slower moving bullet, but with more recoil. The .308 hits with more energy, but has less effective hunting range than the 7mm-08.

The 7mm-08 is more expensive to shoot. If you handload, then they would be nearly equal in price.

Either way, they are both great deer cartridges :D

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I would go with whichever one was chambered in a rifle that fit me the best.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
When I was in the market for a new rifle I researched the 308 and 7mm08 the 308 won and so i bought a bolt gun in 308.
When I was researching the 308 looked better on paper at the time and since the bullet is a mite bigger I bought the 308.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I vote .308 mainly because of the versatile loads and ammo availability, and more wound shock with a larger bullet to dispatch the deer faster...I sure don't want to track a wounded one for Miles.
Rich

·
Registered
28 Posts
Funny how the 308 people always say that they would take it over the 7mm because of the greater versatility of available ammo : ie bullet weight range,
Simple fact is most who hunt deer with a 308 will use a 150gr rd and most who hunt with the 7mm-08 will use a 140gr rd, there aint a deer in the world who will notice the difference.
At your end you'll get a slighter flatter trajectory and a softer shot using the 7mm over a 30 cal, and thought the 308 has been the mainstay of deer hunters for years in my country and I'd say had an awful lot of use in yours, it is slowly being overtaken by the 7. well over here anyway.
There is a heck of alot of 308s out there so every place that sells ammo will stock at least one or two of the more popular brands, but if it was me, I'd go the 7mm-08 and choose a popular 140 gr bullet unless you handload then there's no choice , 7mm it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's a Ford - Chevy thing, I have both, the 7-08 and 308, love em both but the 7 wins most of the time I don't use my 300.

·
Registered
7 Posts
only get what you need

I know these 2 are pretty close cousins but which would you choose as a whitetail deer gun and why?
the .308 in my opinion is way to much. i have a remmington 710 model scoped rifle. this is perfect for the job of deer hunting. very flat shooting and not a whole lot of recoil. i got the scope and rifle for 360.00 at cabelas.

i have a question for anybody who would like to reply. i hunt with a bow as well as a rifle. in the stand with a bow you are supposed to aim a little lower than the point of impact because of the angle. would i have to do the same thing with my rifle?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts