close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

7.5 or .308

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Anyone see any advantage of buying an MAS 36 in .308 over the 7.5? I know the ammo is the main choice, but if you reload the 7.5, wouldn't that balance things out? I have one in 7.5 and reload for it, but I ran across one for sale in.308. It was converted by some gunsmith I've never heard of. I'm not real comfortable with that, but what do you guys think? TIA

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

If you like to reload then go for the 7.5, but if you buy your ammo over the counter like I do then I'd go .308...good round!

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Just be careful of the .308 conversion. I had one (and a buddy still has his) that was essentially useless. The chambers are extremely rough, and must be well polished. That get's you a straight-pull bolt action. The gas system usually needs modification, as the .308 is significantly more powerful than the 7.5. The bolt's timing is thrown off, and it won't cycle properly.
    Check out the JFPO site on testing the MAS 49/56:
    http://www.jpfo.org/masrifle.htm

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Love Mine

Hay Big Dog...I got the MAS -36 in .308 and love it. The 49/56 are simi autos...the gas system cant handlel the pressure...not designed for it....the .308 MAS-36 are bolt action.. (See my post on the gun room) I did a web search when my wife bought one for me and got worried when I read about the problems with the converson to 308 and how the cases would get stuck, ripped apart ect....but that was the 49s not the 36s. The MAS 36 is converted by removeing the barrel, cutting off 2 threads (what I read) and then the barrel is put back in..I had not problems what so ever with scratched brass, buldgeing, or extracting...

Im assumeing Calvin your talking about the ones from SOG...mine came clean and cosmolin free...I sprayed and wiped it down with a rag and boresnake and some WD 40 and went shooting. I have had a problem locating a scope mount for it SOG list them for $20ish and CNL? for $30 but both area out of stock....B-squar wants $69 and Cabellss want $49? for it....Ill post the pic from the range at 100 yards.

Attached Files:

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Doglips, this one is from a private owner. He ended up buying a .308 49/56 to replace the 36. He said he sent the 36 to a guy and had the conversion done to .308. He hasn't shot it and the chamber looks a little rough to me. I know of a guy who can clean it up, but I guess I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this one. I REALLY want to buy an SVD (original) another guy has. I have the money for both, but try justifying that to my other half right now, 3 weeks away from vacation.......

:)

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Cehck out SOG...mine cost $129 + shipping ($10). its in their flyer..web site kinda sparse.....but if you call them they give out the prices over the telephone...never looked for a SVD but they seem to carry just about anything....I find their prices lower than Century eventhough the rifles are marked inported by Century arms...go figure....I'd give them a call and see if they have one or call centruy since they seem to be the main inporter of Soviet type toys. (Sog is 1800944Guns)..so its a free call.

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You're right, Doglips. Sorry for the brain fade. My buddy has the MAS 36 also, but in the 7.5 French. It was unissued, and is in perfect condition. I like the funky styling of the 36, too. My friend uses 6.5 Swede brass to make his re-loads, fire forming them.
    I like the looks of the MAS 49/56, but sold mine before finding the JPFO site. Been thinking about getting both the 36 and the 49/56 to add to the "arsenal".

8. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I looked at the 49/56 but for the price can get close to an AK...$220? with the accessories..I dont reload..keep thinking about it...so would not have a clue how to make my own brass and stuff so I liked the 308 since the french ammo is kinda pricy for plinking....I admit the 36 is in line with my Hi Point Carbine for the weird...so ugly its cute contest.

9. Isnt it a pain in the *** to go thru all of this crap for a French rifle? I cannot see how you guys have the patience.

10. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Welp its not so much of a pain as a hobby....I got some realy off the wall firearms and some "normal" ones. It all depends on what you like and are willing to do for your hobby. I know people who spend big$$ on car steros or cat shows....now I cant figure that out:) the French firearms are just diffrent so I put up with any chalanges just ro round out my collection (31 firearmss for now) Like the Mosins-Nagants...I also like to think about the history of the firearm how that modle played a part in world history or how that particular rile ended up in my hands.

11. Things to do for a 7.5 to .308 conversion on a MAS 49/56:

1. Remove forearm and barrel
    2. Cut off 9/16 inches from the breech end of the barrel
    3. Move barrel shoulder forward 9/16 inches
    4. Rethread barrel shank to new shoulder location
    5. Remount barrel
    6. Use a finish reamer in 308 for proper headspace.
    7. Shorten forearm from receiver end the appropriate amount.
    8. Remount forearm
    9. Remove extractor from bolt
    10. Weld up extractor lip
    11. Reshape extractor lip for 308 rim
    12. Reinstall extractor
    13. Scrounge extra power recoil spring OR build your own adjustable gas regulator.

This is the only way to make a 49/56 reliably shoot 308. It's not hard if you take your time. The places that CAI fell down were the reshaping of the extractor and the recoil spring/gas adjustment. CAI rifles can be made to be more reliable if you do the thingss mentioned above carefully.

12. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    That's all great info...but I'm still in shock about Doglips saying his wife bought him one. Where did you find her? What kind of training program did you put her thru? You lucky dog. Any sisters?

13. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

She has a sister..but man shes a raveing B...been married for 19 yrs....so I guess she has just goten use to me being weird...we been through a lot...got married at 19...then 10 days later left for Lebonon....she put up with the Marine corps way of life..my eye surgery going bad...and unsuccessfull other surgeries...so I guess all the hard ship made our marriage stronger. (Or she just loves me for my uncommonly handsom looks and the big $$ social work and security pays)...:)

14. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Well, I bought the rifle and shipped it off to have it cleaned up. The guy was in dire straits and needed the money. I like it well enough that I may try your rather easy tips on damag-err, installing a scope mount on it when it comes back, Doglips. This was an easy purchase, too. My wife said she understood the guy needing the money, so it was okay with her THIS time. I shoulda figured this out a long time ago. :nod:

15. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I would stay with 7.5 mm MAS .

Wyr
    God Bless

16. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Would not take the chance with the conversion . :-(

Wyr
    God Bless

17. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie