Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told to come here because this was the best place to find info. I'm looking at a M1 that was rechambered in 7.62 in AUG 1988. It was done at SA and the gun was rebuilt to DCM match specs. It appears to have be shot very little if any since.
What would a good ball park price on it be? I've seen pictures and had a friend actually look at the gun. Any help would be appreciated.

SSG Brett Norton
1-325 A.I.R, 82d ABN DIV
Baghdad, Iraq

·
Registered
741 Posts
You need to get answers to a lot of questions before you lay out a big chunk of change for this rifle. The US govt. Springfield Armory closed in 1968, so if the barrel date is 1988 at least part of the work is commercial. If the rifle is a Springfield Armory Inc. commercial rifle, it is probably not worth more than any other shooter. If the barrel has an insert converting it to .308, take a pass.

Who "converted" it to match specs? I have re-barreled several Garands, bedded them, done trigger jobs, and installed match sights. This is not beyond the capabilities of a reasonably well-equipped hobbyist gunsmith (like me). My products may shoot great, but they are not worth what a genuine GI NM rifle is worth.

This may not be tremendously helpful, but I’m trying to keep a fellow military member from possibly getting stung. Best to have a real Garand expert look it over before buying, especially from long distance. There are a lot of “fakes” out there.
CMP sells shooter Garands for $495 and up. A GI receiver built to a new condition rifle can be had from CMP for $895. Genuine NM rifles in crummy condition go for $1500 and up. These are all .30-06. You can get a .308 barrel on a rifle for about $300 installed. This should give you an idea of price ranges.
Be careful!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
little more info

Thanks for the reply. Here is the info I can give you on the gun as of right now. I should be able to answer all your other questions later today.

The barrel isnt sleeved, it was replaced. The stamp on the barrel is as follows.
4 GR 1 10 7.62 MM 8 88 35T

The way I understand it is 4 groove right hand 1 in 10 twist, chambered in 7.62mm, Aug 88, and 35T is the armorer that did the job. The only other significant stamp is on the stock right above the trigger on the left hand side... SA MFD.

I'll get the rest of the info later today and try to get the pictures also. Thanks alot for your help. I'd love to get the gun, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my first born for it.

Brett

·
Registered
741 Posts
You really have to determine if it is a GI rifle or a commercial rifle. The commercial Springfield receivers have the little trademark doohickey after the name on the rear of the receiver, behind the rear sight.

I am no Garand expert, but as far as I know there never were any GI NM M1s in 7.62. You are probably looking at a commercial rifle, or at least a commercial re-build. If so, no collector value. It should be priced as a shooter. It may be a fine shooter, but only the shooting will tell.

Again, you can get an essentially new M1 (in .30-06) from CMP for $895. That's a deal these days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts