Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of buying one. what has been holding me back were the reports of feeding problems with the tapered x39 case and the necessity of using curved magazines. do I have to get a special lower receiver to take those mags or has the problem been solved and I can just slap the upper on a 5.56 lower? also, I have not seen any 7.62x39 AR 15 mags for sale. is there such a thing?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
There are mags for stock lowers, they work fine for me. They look awkward, quite a bend halfway down them, but they work. You can get an ar47 lower, they combine the ar lower with an all style mag well.
I haven’t tried cycling steel case ammo thru my x39 ar yet, but it cycles fine on factory brass and reloaded brass ammo.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Blaster - I have 3 7.62x39 AR-15 style firearms. I thoroughly enjoy shooting them, though the x39 pistols are hellacious fireballs with their 7.5 and 10.5 in. barrels.
Don't have any feeding issues as you mentioned, but I haven't shot them all that much. Maybe 100 rounds through each?
My set ups are BCA uppers, with PSA and Anderson lowers. Cheap put-together guns, using lower kits and complete BCA uppers.
I believe when I bought these over time, the costs range from $350 for BCA 16" barrel upper($149)/PSA lower ($199), to $350ish for $38 Anderson Lowers/ $99 pistol brace/ $23 Anderson lower kit/ $159 BCA uppers.
These set ups were bought in 2019 and 2020, prior to the C-19 fear jacking the prices skyward.
I bought C-Products 7.62x39 mags for about $17 ea. Mags are curved, can't say I have seen any other style for that caliber.

Not sure the AR-15 platform differs from calibers that use that lower. What I bought was identified as an "AR-15" lower - no caliber designation.
Hope all this scribbling helps you - and good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
I have been thinking of buying one. what has been holding me back were the reports of feeding problems with the tapered x39 case and the necessity of using curved magazines. do I have to get a special lower receiver to take those mags or has the problem been solved and I can just slap the upper on a 5.56 lower? also, I have not seen any 7.62x39 AR 15 mags for sale. is there such a thing?
Blaster I bought two uppers in 7.62x39 a few years ago from Bear Creek Arsenal. One was for my son in Tenn. and the other for me. I have never had the jamming of the ammo in the mags. I only have 10 and 20 round mags for mine. Yes they have mags strictly for the caliber. Ii have bought most of my mags from ASC. Ammo Storage Components. They have all mags for all AR calibers and in stainless steel or aluminum and good prices. Another supplier is C-Products

·
Premium Member
11,138 Posts
Like a couple distinguished brethren above, I also have a Bear Creek Upper on an Anderson lower.

Have had it maybe 5 years? Probably close to 2,000 or more rounds through it with no feeding issues. Steel, brass, fmj, soft point- all feeds reliably.

The only issue I’ve had was a loose gas block. Had a single shot carbine there for a while until I found the issue.

C-Product mags work great with this particular setup, but I can’t speak on other brands.

The 7.62x39 AR is arguably my favorite. It’s very accurate if I do my part, reliable, and just fun.

Hope you enjoy it if you end up with an AR47!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
They've pretty well got the commie AR uppers figured out. Mine are both from CBC. I use a standard spikes lower with cmags. I've never had any issues.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks again for all the info. looks like after crab season opens and I have some income again, a 7.62x39 upper will be ordered!
I am glad to know I can use a standard lower receiver. to me, the real beauty of the AR 15 platform is being able to change calibers easily with just an upper swap. although I already have 5 AR lowers, I didn't want to have to buy another one that was specific to a caliber. while I am a 300 Black Out fan boy, lately I have been wanting something with a little more punch & range without using the .30/06. the 7.62x39 is the next step up. also I have a bunch of x39 ammo (both factory and my hunting reloads) that needs shooting up. the SKS is long & heavy now that I've been spoiled by the light compact AR 15s.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
One thing no one has mentioned the primers on the steel cased 7.62x39 are very hard & take a special enhanced firing pin to get a consistent fire from an AR platform. You will need to check if your upper has the enhanced firing pin. I have heard that BCA is putting them in their 7.62x39 upper but I don't know about the rest.

·
Registered
669 Posts
We each have 7.62X39 M4s bought in 2015 from PSA. We use ASC 20 round magazines, Wolf, Red Army Standard and Barnaul ammunition and we've never had an issue with them. These came from Palmetto with the "enhanced" firing pin, 0.015" longer than standard IIRC. I have read this is pretty much standard practice these days.
Wood Art Revolver Pliers Font

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have posted many times my pleasure with the cheap 7.62 x 39 upper I bought 4-5 years ago. It has been 100%, 100% of the time with every brand of ammo I have put into it. All of my ARs are reliable with the ammo chosen for them, 100%, but this one shoots everything. If I went to battle with an AR, this one would be my first choice and is the one kept handy here in the boonies. AR-STONER AR-15 A3 Upper Receiver Assembly 7.62x39mm 16 Barrel (midwayusa.com) Over 200 reviews give it a 4.7/5 $473 today in stock.

I was in total shock for a while, because it is now my favorite of several ARs in 5.56 and 300 BLK. It shoots about 2 inch or less groups with the cheap stuff. I especially like the 154 grain soft point Cabelas house brand, they have lots of thump, totally makes the 300 BLK feel like a much inferior round when they are really pretty close, at least on paper. I like my 300 carbine and pistol but the 7.62 x 39 just has more pzazz. I also have the 7.62 in a Bolt action Manlicher, AKs, Mini 30, and the SKS platform, so we have shot them a bunch over about 40 years.

The Midway house brand, AR Stoner. was the cheapest I could find, just for a fun project. Mine is nickel plated I think, perfect in every way. The AR Stoner mags are the only ones I have tried, the 10 round and the 30 round. This post reminded me, I just ordered some more they are cheap $13-$20. Those mags as I said have been 100%, yes I have heard the stories about feeding issues, but never had one, so I will stay with the Stoner mags. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.AR-STONER Mag AR-15 7.62x39mm 30-Round Anti Tilt Follower SS Black (midwayusa.com)

The bolt carrier group is $200 today, they are obviously different than the smaller ones for the smaller rounds. AR-STONER Bolt Carrier Group AR-15 7.62x39mm Matte (midwayusa.com)

I have tried Tullamo, Norinco (from 1993), Wolf, and a variety of the steel cased ammo, never had one not go off. They do not work in my Ruger Mini 30 very well, but never had one fail in the Stoner. I built the lower mostly from Anderson parts and put a 3 x 9 x 40 cheap illuminated scope on it with pop-up back up sights. I also shoot it suppressed and like it a lot suppressed. Not all that quiet with supersonic ammo, but at least it is hearing safe. I may try to use it for deer this year.

Anyway, I recommend the AR Stoner Midway house brand. They do not look like much, but they work. If you are putting together parts, find a bolt carrier group asap as they sometimes are hard to find.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
We each have 7.62X39 M4s bought in 2015 from PSA. We use ASC 20 round magazines, Wolf, Red Army Standard and Barnaul ammunition and we've never had an issue with them. These came from Palmetto with the "enhanced" firing pin, 0.015" longer than standard IIRC. I have read this is pretty much standard practice these days. View attachment 168757
I see you have the M4 adapters. Do you know of a current source for them? I know there are different style SKS magazine adapters from $75-$300.

Reactions: TXplt

·
Registered
669 Posts
I see you have the M4 adapters. Do you know of a current source for them? I know there are different style SKS magazine adapters from $75-$300.
My apologies Sir but I don't know what adapters you speak of? If you're talking about the wife's Chinese SKS on the right, there is no adapter to take the Tapco 20 round magazines she uses. We did have to sand out about .030" of wood in each side of the magazine well of the stock as it was too tight but that was all that needed to be done for the mags to fit.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The two M4 carbines needed no adapter either, they are just the standard lowers and of course the ASC mags fit perfectly. We've never had a problem with them feeding. We had to tweak two or three of the Tapco magazines to get them to feed smoothly.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My apologies Sir but I don't know what adapters you speak of? If you're talking about the wife's Chinese SKS on the right, there is no adapter to take the Tapco 20 round magazines she uses. We did have to sand out about .030" of wood in each side of the magazine well of the stock as it was too tight but that was all that needed to be done for the mags to fit.
Thanks. Right, The SKS on the right appears to take the modified Tapco mags. Decades ago, many were converted to take AK 47 mags and several other designs came along. I think the first was the SKS M.

I was just not sure which your was. There is a company in Canada that sells a little adapter for $80, Norther Arms. SKS Magazine Adapters (sksmagadapters.com) . Theirs converts to take the AR 7.62 mags that I already have so I may try that one for my SKS.

Others are pretty expensive. $299. Lockhart Tactical | Military and Police Discounts up to 60% OFF - Hical SKS AR15 Magwell Adapter

The market pretty well died out for the SKS when the cheaper AK 47s came to the US. You could buy those really heavy duty mags for $10 and many of the AK imports for $250-$500 so people just quit converting the SKS. Anyway I have an old one with matching serial numbers on every part, I do not want a permanent modification--so I was just wonder what yours was. Anyway, I need to drag mine out, has not been shot it 20 years prolly. LOL Now that we no longer get the cheap import ammo, at least until Biden is gone, not likely to go burn up a lot of it. My brother and my bud and I use to order 2-3 cases at a time for 6.5 cents per round from centerfire systems. our total cost. Just checked they have Tullamo for $399.99/1000 plus tax plus shipping, so above 45 cents per. the cheapest brass case is about 70 cents, so about 10 times the good old days. LOl Anyway, I do have a stash so I am going to dig mine out and fire a few, love the SKS

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have had a couple of "AR-47's" and have been quite happy with them, but there are a three things that IMO you will need / want to keep one running reliably that I have experienced or see as potential issues..

1. Mags - Yes as mentioned you will need the special mags, which can at times be hard to find in stock (I use C-Products mags and they work well, though as I understand it when they first came out years ago they weren't that reliable so buy new).

2. Enhanced Firing Pin if you Plan on shooting steel cased - Again as others have said, between hard primers and often slightly loose primer pockets I was getting fail to fires with light primer strikes fairly often with the primers being driven down into the primer pockets. I've had good luck with Black Rifle Arms enhanced firing pins.

3. Keep a Spare Extractor or Two - While I've not had this issue, IMO this is the weakest link in an X39 based AR. When you look at the bolt head of an "AR-47" the two things that will stand out is that the ring of metal on the bolt face is thinner due to the x39 cartridge being slightly larger diameter than a 5.56 and for the same reason the recess in your Extractor for the case rim has to be deeper which results in the extractor having a pretty thin cross section at the recess, enough so that if I could picture something failing, the extractor would be it. I've hot had one break, but then I've not had high round counts on my x39 Uppers or many stuck cases etc. either but I would make sure to procure a spare or two (and a spare bolt head might be a good Idea in the long run).

As far as Sticking Cases or any of that mess goes with steel, I've only ever had that issue on One AR barrel and it was a 5.56 "Value LIne" barrel, and with lots of TLC, and some FLITZ polish I was able to rectify the issue.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks. Right, The SKS on the right appears to take the modified Tapco mags. Decades ago, many were converted to take AK 47 mags and several other designs came along. I think the first was the SKS M.

I was just not sure which your was. There is a company in Canada that sells a little adapter for $80, Norther Arms. SKS Magazine Adapters (sksmagadapters.com) . Theirs converts to take the AR 7.62 mags that I already have so I may try that one for my SKS.

Others are pretty expensive. $299. Lockhart Tactical | Military and Police Discounts up to 60% OFF - Hical SKS AR15 Magwell Adapter

The market pretty well died out for the SKS when the cheaper AK 47s came to the US. You could buy those really heavy duty mags for $10 and many of the AK imports for $250-$500 so people just quit converting the SKS. Anyway I have an old one with matching serial numbers on every part, I do not want a permanent modification--so I was just wonder what yours was. Anyway, I need to drag mine out, has not been shot it 20 years prolly. LOL Now that we no longer get the cheap import ammo, at least until Biden is gone, not likely to go burn up a lot of it. My brother and my bud and I use to order 2-3 cases at a time for 6.5 cents per round from centerfire systems. our total cost. Just checked they have Tullamo for $399.99/1000 plus tax plus shipping, so above 45 cents per. the cheapest brass case is about 70 cents, so about 10 times the good old days. LOl Anyway, I do have a stash so I am going to dig mine out and fire a few, love the SKS
I think that SKS is using the Tapco SKS “duckbill” magazine. As was stated, the only thing needed is to clearance the mag well sides to make that work. Remove the attached mag, clearance the sides of the well, and lock the bolt back, and insert the Tapco mag. You can’t see the duckbill in Front once the magazine is inserted.
If you want to insert or remove the mag without having the bolt to the rear, you need to clearance the bolt edges to clear the feed lips. Not a difficult job, can be done easy with a Dremel. Of course, once you start using removable mags, 922r comes into play.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes the SKS on the Right is using the duck billed Tapco, her bolt has been modified to drop the mags with a closed bolt. Only takes about 10 minutes and a Dremel tool.
Our M4s came with the enhanced FP, I've read all ARs in 7.62x39 are equiped
with them now.
I've run 2,500 to 3,000 rounds through mine with no problems With the bolt, I have a spare plus an extra extractor.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think that SKS is using the Tapco SKS “duckbill” magazine. As was stated, the only think needed is to clearance the mag well sides to make that work. Remove the attached mag, clearance the sides of the well, and lock the bolt back, and insert the Tapco mag. You can’t see the duckbill I. Front once the magazine is inserted.
If you want to insert or remove the mag without having the bolt to the rear, you need to clearance the bolt edges to clear the feed lips. Not a difficult job, can be done easy with a Dremel. Of course, once you start using removable mags, 922r comes into play.
922? If I understand the 922 important ban correctly, any semi auto that came into the US before Feb 1, 1989 is legal but cannot be modified unless it complies with section 922, is that correct? And all the semi autos today from Russia or any other country must comply with 922, so they just ship the barrels and receivers and assemble them in the US, correct?

So, if I modify my pre-ban SKS in any way, I have to comply with 922. That means I cannot put a folding stock on it, or anything unless I end up with the correct number of US parts. I do comply already because I have all the TAPCO parts needed. I just do not like the duckbill magazine

What I was asking about is modification they do where the cut the duckbill off of the Tapco stock. I was thinking maybe his was one of theirs. Here is a video showing the modification. How to modify polymer magazines for the SK-15/17 - Bing video Anyway that is what I was asking whether he had the modified Tapco mags.

Anybody modfied their SKS like that?

·
Registered
669 Posts
922? If I understand the 922 important ban correctly, any semi auto that came into the US before Feb 1, 1989 is legal but cannot be modified unless it complies with section 922, is that correct? And all the semi autos today from Russia or any other country must comply with 922, so they just ship the barrels and receivers and assemble them in the US, correct?

So, if I modify my pre-ban SKS in any way, I have to comply with 922. That means I cannot put a folding stock on it, or anything unless I end up with the correct number of US parts. I do comply already because I have all the TAPCO parts needed. I just do not like the duckbill magazine

What I was asking about is modification they do where the cut the duckbill off of the Tapco stock. I was thinking maybe his was one of theirs. Here is a video showing the modification. How to modify polymer magazines for the SK-15/17 - Bing video Anyway that is what I was asking whether he had the modified Tapco mags.

Anybody modfied their SKS like that?
No sir, our Tapco mags have not had the duckbill removed. They lock into the magazine well the same as the original 10 round magazine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts