Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
922? If I understand the 922 important ban correctly, any semi auto that came into the US before Feb 1, 1989 is legal but cannot be modified unless it complies with section 922, is that correct? And all the semi autos today from Russia or any other country must comply with 922, so they just ship the barrels and receivers and assemble them in the US, correct?

So, if I modify my pre-ban SKS in any way, I have to comply with 922. That means I cannot put a folding stock on it, or anything unless I end up with the correct number of US parts. I do comply already because I have all the TAPCO parts needed. I just do not like the duckbill magazine

What I was asking about is modification they do where the cut the duckbill off of the Tapco stock. I was thinking maybe his was one of theirs. Here is a video showing the modification. How to modify polymer magazines for the SK-15/17 - Bing video Anyway that is what I was asking whether he had the modified Tapco mags.

Anybody modfied their SKS like that?
922 is a pain to fully understand. I don’t know that anyone has ever been charged with a violation of it. As I understand it once you modify an SKS with certain features you have created an illegal foreign “assault weapon” The only way to rectify that is to have the proper number of American made parts to make it legal. There are only certain parts that qualify for the parts count. The SKS forums have more information, but even they seem convoluted on the issue.
For a Chicom, I though you needed a usa stock, gas tube cover, gas piston, and mag follower ( magazine) to be “legal”. But again, I cannot be certain of that. Do not take that as legal advice.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
922 is just another gun law whose only purpose is to make an otherwise innocent person a criminal. it does NOTHING to protect or make the Country safer. it is purely an harassment tool to give the BATF a reason to put legal gun owners in jail and to make it appear that BATF is doing something to protect America while ignoring real crimes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
922 is just another gun law whose only purpose is to make an otherwise innocent person a criminal. it does NOTHING to protect or make the Country safer. it is purely an harassment tool to give the BATF a reason to put legal gun owners in jail and to make it appear that BATF is doing something to protect America while ignoring real crimes.
Precisely! As reverendg said, "922 is a pain to fully understand" and I believe that is deliberate. Further more I don't give a rat's rear-end actually. We enjoy our SKS carbines legally and safely and feel none of that is any of the regime's business anyway.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
922 is a pain to fully understand. I don’t know that anyone has ever been charged with a violation of it. As I understand it once you modify an SKS with certain features you have created an illegal foreign “assault weapon” The only way to rectify that is to have the proper number of American made parts to make it legal. There are only certain parts that qualify for the parts count. The SKS forums have more information, but even they seem convoluted on the issue.
For a Chicom, I though you needed a usa stock, gas tube cover, gas piston, and mag follower ( magazine) to be “legal”. But again, I cannot be certain of that. Do not take that as legal advice.
We have been through the process of making guns 'compliant " many times. There are on-line checklist that solve the problem. BuildSKSVerifyCompliance < Gunwiki < TWiki

I think it is one of those seldom used criminal laws that can always jump up a bite a person, just not worth the risk. A gun store owner that I have known for 40 years, recently agreed to close his business and lose his FFL license. The man and his wife are well known as they make the gun show circuit in Oklahoma and Texas usually setting up a half dozen tables. The "reason" they came after him, I think is because he is a high volume dealer, and some of us guns ended up in crimes. So, they showed up one Monday morning and checked his books. He had not updated his bound journal with the guns he sold on the road. All the paperwork was there, he just piled them up and then logged them in his bound book at a later time. So for this paper violation, each transfer was a separate crime, they gave him the option, to face a bunch of charges and the trial, or go out of business. He is about 70, so he bailed. If they had found an "illegal" SKS would that have been an issue? Sure. But he has no record, can still own guns, just lost his business. Just not worth the risk to me.

I do have all the parts to convert my gun as per 922, Tapco Stock and all of that, just curious about that Tapco magazine modification, so I did not have that big duckbill on each magazine.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
We have been through the process of making guns 'compliant " many times. There are on-line checklist that solve the problem. BuildSKSVerifyCompliance < Gunwiki < TWiki

I think it is one of those seldom used criminal laws that can always jump up a bite a person, just not worth the risk. A gun store owner that I have known for 40 years, recently agreed to close his business and lose his FFL license. The man and his wife are well known as they make the gun show circuit in Oklahoma and Texas usually setting up a half dozen tables. The "reason" they came after him, I think is because he is a high volume dealer, and some of us guns ended up in crimes. So, they showed up one Monday morning and checked his books. He had not updated his bound journal with the guns he sold on the road. All the paperwork was there, he just piled them up and then logged them in his bound book at a later time. So for this paper violation, each transfer was a separate crime, they gave him the option, to face a bunch of charges and the trial, or go out of business. He is about 70, so he bailed. If they had found an "illegal" SKS would that have been an issue? Sure. But he has no record, can still own guns, just lost his business. Just not worth the risk to me.

I do have all the parts to convert my gun as per 922, Tapco Stock and all of that, just curious about that Tapco magazine modification, so I did not have that big duckbill on each magazine.
Technically, the magazine itself isn’t a 922r part, the follower is the applicable part. The question then is does that make the gun illegal if the mag is removed? Or is it legal if the gun is stored with the magazine in close proximity? Does owning an imported removable magazine automatically render all modified SKS rifles ”illegal”? Good luck getting real answers to these questions, and more.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Technically, the magazine itself isn’t a 922r part, the follower is the applicable part. The question then is does that make the gun illegal if the mag is removed? Or is it legal if the gun is stored with the magazine in close proximity? Does owning an imported removable magazine automatically render all modified SKS rifles ”illegal”? Good luck getting real answers to these questions, and more.
The mag body, follower, & base plate are countable 922r parts. If you remove the mag it doesn't make illegal because it's not a complete gun, but if you put in a mag with foreign parts in it, it could make the gun non compliant under the 922r rules then subject to confiscation & a federal charge for you.
I have always found it's best if you put enough US made parts in your gun that you could put any mag in it & still be legal.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The mag body, follower, & base plate are countable 922r parts. If you remove the mag it doesn't make illegal because it's not a complete gun, but if you put in a mag with foreign parts in it, it could make the gun non compliant under the 922r rules then subject to confiscation & a federal charge for you.
I have always found it's best if you put enough US made parts in your gun that you could put any mag in it & still be legal.
You are right, the mag is 3 parts that count. Of course, you can’t “put enough American parts” on, you have to remove enough foreign parts. That’s the game. Tapco has a decent explanation.
Lists of the parts count for various guns too.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
the BATF is redundant Federal agency whos "job" could be taken care of and in many cases already is by the FBI.
Maybe the could regulate the alcohol and tobacco? I think we actually may need them regulate the quality and control of explosives so unstable stuff just does not blow up, some may recall that real dynamite is not always stable and how it is stored matters, so restricting that type of explosives to certain places and transportation requirement makes sense.

Once when I was a young guy in the Army I had a job hauling explosives Class A, you had to have a specific driver's license, kind of like a hazmat endorsement today. I recall seeing a 2.5 ton truck loaded with 1/4 blocks of TNT and C4.. lots of explosive in one truck. Not a problem. However, that transport was a reserve unit hauling this huge amount of explosive about 150 miles down and interstate, no big deal. Except the reserve component did not know that common sense, Army Regulations and Federal Law, all prevent you from hauling it all i nthe same truck. When I looked into the truck the bed was filled with cases of TNT and C4. On top of all of that were cases and cases of blasting caps. Like small ammo they are pretty stable, unless some fool on the interstate causes a wreck.

Fast forward about 20 years and I was on I-171 north of Phoenix and I was one of the first cars to come upon an 18 wheeler that crashed into a rock wall and disintegrated, killing the husband-wife driving team. They were hauling military small arms ammo. The darn truck looked like shredded cheese. So, it is OK with me if they regulate things like that.

Just noticed this one today. Guys house blew up while he was reloading ammo. More to that story. Man was reloading ammunition prior to Seffner house explosion, fire rescue says | WFLA

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I wonder if that house explosion was caused because the guy was reloading Black Powder cartridges? during my bomb making days, I could never get smokeless powders to explode.
Read several news accounts but all I could gather is had 6 or 7 pounds of powder on his bench. Unless he had a primer explode and an open container of powder, it is pretty hard to set off powder. Even then it's explosiveness is related to it being contained. Powder in the containers it comes in should not explode, certainly not enough to make his house totally destroyed. SAAMI has done lots of tests on what happens to ammo when it burns. The story I mentioned above is rare because thousands of rounds of 5.56 shredded a truck, I saw it first hand. But normally. if you throw ammo into a fire, the bullet goes one way and the case another, just not very far so there is no pressure rise and not much danger as they do not go far.

I think there is more to this story. It might just be black powder.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,446 Posts
I wonder if that house explosion was caused because the guy was reloading Black Powder cartridges? during my bomb making days, I could never get smokeless powders to explode.
Neither black powder nor smokeless will explode. I did learn though that unconfined black powder burns VERY quickly with a whoomp just like those old photographer flash pans when I was a kid. We were moving and had perhaps 1/2 pound left over as well as some smokeless and needed to burn it off before leaving (that'd be sacrilege in THIS day and age). The WHOOMP generated lots of smoke and for awhile I 'd thought I'd gone blind after igniting it much closer than I should have been in my young and dumb days (think I was maybe 14 or so).

You won't get an explosion of ANYTHING (at least propellant wise) unless it's confined by some type of pressure vessel. Perhaps if you ground it up like coal dust you could get some type of boom but all of these need something to confine them for a boom (and is one of the reasons that most all of the new smokeless cans are usually made of graphite impregnated plastic so if they DO ignite it's kind of like a big thing of tannerite going off--purposefully made not to be able to accumulate much pressure).

Reactions: Dutch

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Many years ago, in a far a way land, I joined the Army was honored to be an MP. Along my early career I spend time in the reserve and ended up temporarily in a unit that had no MPs. But they had 105 mm Howitzers, the cool little gun I would later see in the AF gunships. I was a big strong lad, so when the artillery officers saw me, I was made the rammer, the guy that puts the bullet into the Howitzer. The reason I was chosen is because the were using fuses that instantly explode when they hit something. In battle they used timed fuses or fuses the would detonate in the air above the enemies head. Buy those fuses were expensive, so they used the quick detonate, for all the training or harassing fire. If you dropped the round onto one of the trails, (legs) of the gun, it would blow up and kill everybody in range of the 3 gun firing battery, so the big strong new kid got selected to do all the ramming/loading. They were so afraid of the little wimpy guys dropping a round that I had to run from gun to gun as they would fire one after the other, using 6 rounds each. I did not mind, it was a hoot. I fired over 1,000 rounds in one mission of about 10 days.

The 105 comes with an empty case like a huge 38 Special. It also comes with a projectile that weighs about 33 pounds. Then in the case is 7 bags of powder that are tied together with a string. A forward observer would call in the coordinates and the gunny would calculate the direction/ azimuth and elevation for the gun. Then they would call the powder charge, 4 bags, 5 bag, 7 bags, or whatever. The rammer would pull the unneeded bags up and jerk the string down on the case to break it. and throw the etxra bags to the rear. Then rammer would hold the case and projectile together and stick in the gun and step back, the gun would recoil a couple feet depending on how firm the ground. If you did not step back the gun would knock you back.

Here is the powder
Font Pattern Rectangle Paper product Metal
and the rammer
Camouflage Ballistic vest Military camouflage Glove Helmet

and the gun
Cannon Tire Wheel Automotive tire Sky
After the last fire for effect was complete all those bags of powder that was not used were put into 55 gallon barrel sand taken off and burned. I was the only guy with a Class A explosive license, so I got to haul it all to be burned. If you take 2 55 gallon barrels of powder and dump it on the ground and light it, you will need to be at least 50 yards away just due to the intense heat it produces. I would just take and pour a little powder trail about 20 feet long, light it an run. No it does not explode but it can sure produce a lot of heat. FWIW

21 - 37 of 37 Posts