close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

7.62x39 Varmiting

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BSchroeder, Aug 18, 2002.

1. BSchroeder

BSchroeder G&G Newbie

This question is for the the midwestern groundhog snipers:

I know a lot of guys who use .223's and 22-250's for shooting 'hogs, but I've always worried about the (relatively) long range of these rifles. Seems to me there would be a lot of shots you couldn't take because of this.

Why not use a rifle chambered for the 7.62x39 instead? Shorter range and plenty of ammo available?

Just wondering.

Ben

2. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 G&G Newbie

Ok with a great backstop. 55 grain bullets loose energy faster than 125 grain bullets when it comes to ricochets. Why not get a 22 Hornet, 25-20 or 32-20 for the shorter ranges. All are more accurate than the average 30 Russian.

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

As long as its a highend AK like a VEPR or SLR101S! :cool:

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    7.62x39, I know of several who use it for coyotes where quick follow up shots are common on a running dog @ < 250M

The other 1/2 are toting AR's in 223.

The common link, (Semis). 22 hornet etc. as mentioned above for still targets like the ground hogs. The yote hunters will sneer at them, often unfounded.

Long range no problem, all in projectile selection. Fragmenting recomended. As soon as it hit's the dirt, it's no more.

Synopsys: Shoot what is safe & what you hit with consistently. It's that easy boys!

5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I use a 6x45mm for most of my quick varmint shooting otherwise I do prefer to use a 223