Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best deal on this ammo right now and what are thr pros and cons of military surplus ammo?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Right, now about $40-$50 or so for 420 rounds. Can go lower but can't remember where. Most of it will be Wolf, lacquered case, steel rounds, corrosive, and non-reloadable. Steel rounds are not permitted at indoor ranges to my knowledge. Lacquered case can create problems when the lacquer heats up having the round almost glued in the chamber. I've not had it happen but have heard about it. Corrosive ammo deposits salt compounds which can erode the bore. Use ammonia to get it off (dilute solution 1 part ammonia to 3 parts water((be sure to mark it.)) Most are steel cases and can't be reloaded, if that weren't the only problem most are Berdan primed. I've not seen much else in the way of military style that varies much from Wolf.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
the british military used hot water to clean their bores , they had funnels and flushed them out with boiling water . no additives. just a little trivia.:) then they cleaned normally . thats how i do it.

9 milsurps and not a speck of rust.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Had heard that but been using ammonia. No problems yet experienced.
yep i think the key is just cleaning the darn thing! with any flavor water.and the easier it is to do i.e. squirt bottle the more likeky you are to do it!

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yup, AIM Surplus is your friend....good shipping rates too.
I use Windex at the range, then break down and thorough cleaning at home - usually hoppes, brush and 4 wipes. I've got a few Mosins....my one M44 probably has more than 2000 rounds through it since I got it with no ill effect on the bore - and I ONLY shoot surplus.

·
Registered
83 Posts
good mil surp 7.62x54r

Where is the best deal on this ammo right now and what are thr pros and cons of military surplus ammo?
hello shaneg

my name is joe s im new> i have found that the best shooting mil surp ammo has got to be the 147gr silver tip czech mfg(selier and bellot) you can find it at century arms i think they still have it?? its mildly corrosive and i imagine still not too expensive, next would be hungarian light ball, some of the worst i have ever seen is albainian mil> misfires,soft brass, blemishes in cases(dents) some would not chamber very cheap(go figure) i would not have wanted to be an albainian military person depending on this junk for my life, if you want really good ammo definatly reload, imr 3031, and hodgdon varget are great powders hope i was of some help>> your friend joe

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I've actually had pretty good luck with the Albanian. I went through most of a crate, with no misfires and no trouble loading or ejecting.

It's dirty powder though; it'll leave a crust around the muzzle in a day's shooting, and I wouldn't want to leave the barrel uncleaned. And it looks like crap: dingy brass, wrinkled shoulders. After finding one with a pinhole in the shoulder I started checking them all closer before firing, and found two or three more I didn't want to fire. I have pics of one somewhere in the Mosing Nagant forum; I'll look 'em up when I get home this evening and link to them for you.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
Most of my Mosins seem to favor the Hungarian Heavy Ball.
For cleaning, I use Birchwood-Casey's Bore Scrubber - has plenty ammonia.
After a good swabbing, I run a patch of good gun oil through it - never any corrosion in several years.

Water is for bathing or drinking - NOT gun cleaning. :196:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
Dang! You're right, I failed to notice. Shoulda seen the corrosion all over it..... :scool:

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
hell what is the best price on ammo now adays? IDK if it is worth even buying online anymore...

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Well, I'm still making most of my own.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
$80 seems to be the cheap at this point then add shipping. think i paid $92 to my door last time i bought a can of bulgy lightball. prefer russina stuff though. mostly just doing reloads now. got tired of boiling water when i got home from the range

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
$80 seems to be the cheap at this point then add shipping. think i paid $92 to my door last time i bought a can of bulgy lightball. prefer russina stuff though. mostly just doing reloads now. got tired of boiling water when i got home from the range
Just use Windex, its a lot easier than boiling water.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
still means i have to bust out the cleaning kit. i like to do all my guns at once. not one at a time. just personal preference. im still gonna stock up on a few boxes and just store them. never know when i might need 2k rds to feed my mosins. maybe when the govt bankrupts itself...

for just regualr shooting though. ill roll my own. anybody have prvi brass on sale now? everywhere i look is sold out

1 - 20 of 26 Posts