7.62x54r brass ?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Ernie m, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Ernie m

Ernie m G&G Newbie

Maine
    Hi all ! I'm new to this site but have been reading until my eyes are crossed. I'v always done my own reloading. A couple of weeks ago I bought my first 91/30 and now have 3. These things are really a great value. Any way I started researching reloading these rounds and found they are pretty straight forward except decent brass seems to be hard to come by. As most have seen new brass will set you back mucho $$. whats with this? And what happens when all the surplus dries up? Any ideas where you can find this stuff without selling the farm? My bore slugs out at .312 so bullets are easy, It's just the brass.

2. I just buy boxes of Prvi Partisan ammo and use the brass from that. Good stuff.

3. It is tough to find new brass at a cheap price, Graf & Sons has been out of PRVI for a while. I lucked out on a google search and found some Winchester primed 50 for $25 at Chestnut Ridge, but they sold out in a few days. Keep checking or maybe give them a call. Reloading Supplies - Brass Casings

Loaded prvi can still be found for about $13 a box, and if you are loading hunting rounds you can always pull the military FMJ surplus fmj and seat a SP bullet over your desired powder, just use a .310 or larger bullet so it doesnt drop into the case.

4. Ernie m

Ernie m G&G Newbie

Maine
    Thanks for the input. Does anyone have much of this stuff is left? At some point stocks will dry up.

5. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i use the prvi brass or winchester brass. buy it shoot it for fun and then reload it .

6. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Ernie, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Due to sheer numbers of M\N's that have flooded the market, the ammo mfgr's have figured out that they've got a pretty solid market for the old '54R ammo. The surplus stores will eventually dry up, but I don't see it being dropped from commercial production any time soon and I'd almost bet that you see a few more co's start making it as well.
    As far as brass sources go, Graf & Sons - Home usually has the cheapest price around, but as stated earlier, buy up a few boxes of Prvi, S&B, or Win. ammo and reload the brass. Lapua loads this as well as selling brass as does Norma, but you'll pay dearly for it.
    Buffalo Arms Company - We sell Swiss - Schuetzen Black Powder, Cowboy Guns, Buffalo Guns - over 7,000 Items! is another source if you can't find it anywhere else.
    Oh yeah, FWIW, Wolf Gold is made by Prvi at a slightly elevated price, Winchester is made by S&B at a slightly higher elevated price so keep that in mind when looking at that $21.95 box of faux Winchester ammo.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Yeah, Buffalo Arms is selling Winchester 7.62X54R brass. Not my favorite brass, as it is really made by S&B and it has really tight primer pockets, but it will do if I can't find any other brass. I wish some of that JMS headstamped stuff was floating around, as it seems like it is fine brass for reloading. (No, you can't have any of mine!)

Anyways here's the Win stuff at Buffalo...
    Brass Cases 7.62x54R Russian Cases by Winchester

8. Ernie m

Ernie m G&G Newbie

Maine
    Thanks guys thats the info I was looking for. I recieved a little book today called one caliber one load or something like that with plenty of loads to start with. Sence I started wint these MN I have not even touched my 45/70. Im going to a small home gunshop tomorrow. The guy called and said he got in a case of hex recievers with at least one dated 1929. He sells these for $119.00 your choise. Hope he has one with a decent barrel. Again thanks guys for all the help,Ernie