close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

7 Immigrants Die in Arizona Desert

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Shaun, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

At least these are 7 we won't have top provide services for

7 Immigrants Die in Arizona Desert

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — At least seven illegal immigrants have died since Thursday while crossing the U.S.-Mexican border southwest of Tucson in
    scorching heat, officials said.

Law-enforcement officers and ambulance services scrambled to rescue at least 70 other border-crossers Friday and Saturday.

At least eight have been hospitalized since Thursday, U.S. Border Patrol spokesman Ryan Scudder told the Arizona Daily Star.

Ambulance crews set up a triage station to handle the dozens of dehydrated migrants found Friday and early Saturday. At the Mexican consulate in
    Tucson, employees worked at a frenzied pace, helping to identify victims, notify their families and care for survivors, even as more reports came
    in.

Agents of the Border Patrol's emergency-response team were involved in additional rescue operations late Saturday.

A suspected smuggler was arrested and in Border Patrol custody Saturday, Scudder said. It appeared he was apprehended separately from the
    rest of his group but was identified by other members as their smuggler.

Dozens of immigrants died last year from heat exposure in the deserts of Southern California and Arizona, where they illegally crossed into the
    United States to avoid increased patrols in urban areas.

2. Oh well to bad for them, the buzzards have got to eat too.

3. You are in trouble now with the animal rights activists--poor buzzards are your tummys aching from to much mexican food.
    I'm probably going to catch some flack for that statement.
    Sorry I couldn't resist.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2002
  4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

good comment Alan

5. AW!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

They're not immigrants if they come over illegally, they're called invaders. I hate this PC BS!

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

What happened to the emergency beacon towers they installed? Instructions not in Spanish????

8. The buzzards are going to feast today. The last count was 11 dead. I wouldnt doubt there are many many more out in the desert that will never be found. The U.S. still provides cardboard caskets for them and ships them back but I'm sure thats a lot cheaper than feeding them.

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Good, 7 less people to work low wage menial jobs for people who make money off of poor migrants instead of being up and up and paying U.S. citizens a decent wage!

10. Hay maybe this is a good thing!
    Think about it if we leave a bunch of them out there and don't try to find the rest maybe we can furtilize the desert and grow more wacky weed that our leaders seem to be smokeing now adays.(putting guardsmen on the borders unarmed, they have got to be smokeing something, maybe we should just plant them out there with the mexican buzzard food)

11. JerryM

JerryM G&G Newbie

A dead border sneaker is a good border sneaker. I'm all for leting honest hard working people in but border sneakers don't fit that profile.

12. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Joe some of these low wage jobs are being taken bc noone else will work them. Would you take a job for 4 dollars an hour when you can sit at home on unemployment or welfare for alot more? (I am not talking about sweatshop scum either). As far as the decent wage its all a factor of economics. Its fine and dandy to say pay me what I am worth but just remember someone else has to pay it - the consumer.

On the other hand these people are coming here for a better life. all of the derogatory comments about these people are no different than to say Randy Weaver had it coming to him. Neither is true.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The criminals deserve what they get. IMHO, no one in the US has any legal responsibility to take care of these scumbags. The only responsibility we have is to clearly mark the border and maybe post directions to the nearest checkpoint. Also, the children of these illegal aliens should NOT be granted citizenship. As far as doing the jobs nobody wants, that means that the people doing the work are underpaid. In a free market, the wages would go up until the jobs are filled or some alternative would be found. The only reason the wages would be so low no US citizen or legal resident would do the work is that the criminal aliens are CAUSING the situation.

14. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Economics and law

Don't let your personal feelings interfere with your rational thought processes.

Again I have never said we owe them any right to be taken care of. I also think that our borders should be restricted and that we should do efverything to keep illegal immigrants out of the country.

To say illegals cause low labor fails logic since illegals did not cause the large number of textile jobs to go overseas. The only reason certain wages are so low in the US for certain jobs is because of market demand. Do you think that the govenrment should raise minimum wage to what you think is a justifiable? Employers will always pay the lowest amount possible if they think they can get away with it, be it an illegal or a legal resident. However I think that most that come over do so to work in sweatshop conditions and these are the truely evil employers and should be wiped from the face of the earth by our government. Maybe someone here who has experience in this area can shed some light on it for us all.

Again it is the negative and hateful comments by people on this board against these unfortunate people that is intolerable. They are no more a criminal than Randy Weaver, The Branch Davidians, a joint smoker or anyone who owns an sks in CA. But then again by your own logic since the government says they are criminal then I guess they all are. Oh did you know that your president was going to sign a bill allowing all illegals in the us to be instantly legal? I don't know if he did as I did not follow it very close.

15. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The last I heard, the desert was considered a wilderness area. Anyone going into a wilderness area should know to have adequate supplies and preparation, or risk loss of life. If they can't handle the desert, they have no business being there. Not to mention the fact that they are ILLEGAL. Leave 'em where they lay, and let their parched bones be a warning to others.

16. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Well said BigDog

17. Phacopsrana
    I have lived on the border and seen these illegles comeing across called the border patrol and the local LEO nothing was ever done.
    When I lived in Texas I saw these same border crossers doing these low paid jobs you are talking about. one factory I know off fired 70 american workers makeing $7.95 an hour to hire these border crossers for $3.00 hr. when the athoritys finally did something about it the factory picked up and moved to mexico where they paid the workers 50 cents an hour. Funny thing the price of the product never went down due to this lower wage being paid.
    So, from what I have seen your liberal views on these scum is not warented, they not only take these jobs that Americans won't work they create them by comeing across in droves and driveing the labor force to take lower wages or go without a job.
    Do I have a hatred for these scum bags you bet your sweet a## I do!
    They come here take our jobs by agreeing to work for less, use up our tax money trying to save their worthless A##'s out in the desert and collecting medical and all the other benifits that some of our most needy citizens can't even get.and they cause crime rates to go up. bussines to leave for the bottom line profit and its not passed on to us at all.
    If you ever had to deal with any of this you would not be preaching that they are not criminals bull. Just the mentioning of theses scum in the same sentance as Randy Weaver is an insult to the Weaver family they are Americans trying to be left alone by an over active big brother Government. not border jumpers trying to undermine the American job market by undercutting our labor force and the ability to provide for ones family because some border jumper will do your job for pennys an hour and not have to be paid any benifits or taxes on.

18. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Another thing to look at is they bring their elderly over and they go immediatly on Social Security -- I once worked for the county health department in Sacramento and it was very common to hear that many of these illegals and other immigrants immediately went on social security without paying a dime. Let look at this liberals say the SSI is in trouble maybe the liberals should wake up and see that they are the one's allowing people who have never paid into the system to have those funds that we have into our accounts -- maybe this is the real reason they are against privatization of SSI

19. You know guys without sounding cold hearted, we american citizens are the minority. I have never been without a job since I was 16 years old. Some of my jobs were very physically demanding but I'm not complaining, but what irks me is that my wife has spondylosis--advanced arthritis of the spine and to go through all of the B.S. paperwork and have those social workers look down on you because you are white-- just to apply for disability. My wife and I are hard working people and U.S. citizens.
    To see all those folks on welfare and social security is a major slap in the face. Right now we don't have med. insurance--Man that is a nightmare to get help through the state. We are tax paying U.S. citizens and we deserve better treatment than this.
    O.K. I'm through venting.
    God Bless You All.

Alan.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2002
  20. Oh and one more thing--If we didn't pay taxes maybe we would be treated better.=== Yeah like prison.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2002