Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked up the process of adjusting the trigger for a Remington 700 and I did something bad. I started thinking.:09:
But anyways, I have a very crisp trigger in my 700, but wouldn't mind lightening it to squeez a little more accuracy out of her. Has anyone attempted this? Did you run into any problems? Anything I should look out for?
Thank you kindly!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
1/2 a turn at a time, and dont go under 3# unless your comfortable adjusting the sear engagement. use a trigger pull scale, and make dang sure the rifle passes all safety tests before firing it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slam the bolt forward and hope the hammer doesn't drop, gotcha!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
bounce the rifle off of the floor butt first, fairly hard. do it with the safety off, then do it with the safety on, then take the safety off after bouncing the rifle. the striker should not fall, unless you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will try that when I get back from Yellowstone. Speaking of which, I will talk to you gents in 24 hours.:burnout:

·
Wonderment :)
33,585 Posts
700 Trigger

A-10: Sir; we all get into trouble thinking:)
Remingtons trigger has been around for a long time.

I propose this; for thoughts only.

Three screws; stock drops from frame

Turn Frame upside down

Look at front of trigger

Two [2] straight blade screws
Bottom screw; adjusts spring tension.
upper screw leave alone
Back Screw; sear adj. leave alone
each has a Loctite type of glue.

Slam Bolt, Butt drop will answer you question
about, to light a trigger. Best to use pull scale.

Craig

By the standards of many

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've adjusted dozens of them but the price of admisson was the first one I FUBAR'ed and had to replace. Yes you can learn from a single mistake if it's expensive enough. I don't bother to adjust them anymore because Jewel & Rifle Basic replacements are so good. A really light trigger is hard to get with a factory trigger, but quite easy with a Jewel or Rifle Basic. The first Rifle Basic I installed was rated 8oz to 1.5lbs. When installed it passed all the tests listed above, with & without the safety on. Then I put the trigger pull guage on it and it measured 8oz ten times in a row. I raised it up to 1.0lb and it's stayed there ever since.This is a single loaded varmint rifle that's not loaded untill ready to take the shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts