Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Remington 700 SPS or SPS buckmaster in 3006 for my first deer gun. Anyone have any good or bad things to say about it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That is a fantastic rifle.Also a good caliber.
That would be an excellent choice for a first rifle.Besides,if you don't like it,I will take it off your hands for half of what you paid for it......hahaha!

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 700 SPS, or the 700 in general, I'd say that it would make an excellent deer rifle. And and as for the 30-06, it needs no introduction, its one of the finest cartridges ever developed.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
it is a fine gun and caliber is tough to beat, if you can manage the recoil, its bothersome to some but most can handle it

·
Registered
923 Posts
and in reality they are getting ripped. the 700 sps is the same great 700 action in a Special purpose synthetic= cheap stock............Great in-expensive rifle.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Just curious, is the stock the only difference? Is the action,trigger and extractor are all the same as well?
As far as I know, they only major difference is the stock.

I do know that the receiver, action/extractor, and barrel are identical. There is a chance that the trigger is different, but I haven't heard anyone complain. The M700 SPS is a great deal.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Yes the action is the same as ADL.The Buckmaster is camo,ed. sam.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Rem 700 in 30Govt? Now you got you one good shootin' iron!

·
Banned
704 Posts
A Remington 700 was my first gun, and I still have it after 45 years or so. You can't go wrong with the 700 SPS:

I would try and convince you however, that for deer the 30-06 is probably not your best choice given the cartridges you can get in this model. If it is an all around gun which you would eventually use for larger game such as elk or moose, then I would put the .270 ahead of the 30-06. If you only intend to hunt deer and nothing larger, then I would buy the .243 in the 24" barrel. It will be a lot more fun to shoot and is more than adequate for deer. I would also put the 7mm-08 and 270 WSM ahead of the 30-06 in my short list for an all around gun. However, they are less popular cartridges (so far) and unless you reload your own, they will have fewer factory ammo choices.

Ron

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Just curious Ron, why would you pick a .270 over a 30-06 for moose?

I actually traded in a .270 for a 30-06, because the 30-06 will shoot 220 grain bullets, while my .270 didn't shoot well with anything over 140 grains.

Maine moose are big, and I didn't feel confident taking one with any bullet weighing less than 180 grains.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
It is a tradeoff between a .270 and .30-06.The .270 has higher velocity and smaller diammeter bullet and will penetrate better but the -06 can use a heavier bullet and will penetrate better at lesser ranges where it has velocity.Here again,I know because I have seen it done that a 140gr bullet in .270 will put a moose down fairly easily,I personally would rather have a 180gr bullet in an -06 which I have seen put elk down but never saw used on moose.A 220 in .06 just doesnt get it. sam.

·
Banned
704 Posts
Just curious Ron, why would you pick a .270 over a 30-06 for moose? I actually traded in a .270 for a 30-06, because the 30-06 will shoot 220 grain bullets, while my .270 didn't shoot well with anything over 140 grains. Maine moose are big, and I didn't feel confident taking one with any bullet weighing less than 180 grains.
I like a flat trajectory where you don't have to worry about any kind of hold over at any range where it is reasonable to shoot big game. I think if you have 1500 ft-lbs of energy or more at the target distance you have more than enough to dispatch a moose, providing you have a good bullet that expands but holds together. Because a bullet expands so much I don't think the initial bullet diameter is a significant factor. How much it penetrates etc. is primarily based on the bullet design and energy available at impact. The old Nosler partition bullet is my favorite for moose, and I have taken a number of them with a 140 gr. in my 264 WM. A Nosler 140 or 150 grain in a 270 should be just as good.

Nosler: bullets, ammunition, rifles, brass, and reloading data.

There probably are others out there that do just as good a job. The trick is that you want about the same expansion effect over a very wide range of velocities, because you don't know ahead of time if the moose is going to be 50 yards away or 300.

Ron

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
It is a tradeoff between a .270 and .30-06.The .270 has higher velocity and smaller diammeter bullet and will penetrate better but the -06 can use a heavier bullet and will penetrate better at lesser ranges where it has velocity.Here again,I know because I have seen it done that a 140gr bullet in .270 will put a moose down fairly easily,I personally would rather have a 180gr bullet in an -06 which I have seen put elk down but never saw used on moose.A 220 in .06 just doesnt get it. sam.
I'm certainly not questioning that the 270 win will kill moose or elk with a well placed shot. But I think you will find that the 180 gr 30-06 bullet retains velocity better than a 140gr 270win. Hence, the 180gr 30-06 penetration advantage increases at longer distances.

You may find this old test interesting, they think the 220 06 has it's place.
http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152.pdf

1 - 20 of 24 Posts